Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya used genuine part is best move unless you have $ to burn for new oe.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

bigjae46
      sapote

Can a V1 vs V2 diff be differentiated by the round vs. "scalloped" input shaft? Also can V1 diffs OPF's be swapped to V2 diffs and vice-versa? From what I understand V1 diff had the short OPF on the passenger and V2 on driver's.

I have a V1 diff (short OPF on passenger side), it also has the round input flange.

Round:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20220926_093751.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.6 KB ID:	186019
      "Scalloped"
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220926_093437.jpg Views:	0 Size:	223.0 KB ID:	186020
      Last edited by Cubieman; 09-26-2022, 03:57 PM.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

It's been ~25K miles since my car's valves were last adjusted. What is a reasonable # of hours to "just check" if a valve adjustment is needed? Not the full job, just a spot check.

I think the mechanic I've contacted is quoting high 💸
        2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
        ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Do our cars usually burble when downshifting/going off throttle? Been dailying the M3 lately due to some scumbag hitting my other car and started noticing some extra exhaust noises, especially when I keep in 2nd and get off throttle.

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post
            It's been ~25K miles since my car's valves were last adjusted. What is a reasonable # of hours to "just check" if a valve adjustment is needed? Not the full job, just a spot check.

I think the mechanic I've contacted is quoting high 💸
            To just check, maybe 4? 5? Depends on how familiar the mechanic is with the engine. A full valve adjustment usually takes me around 5-6 hours, about 4 of which are measuring, swapping shims and remeasuring. Rest are spent cleaning up gasket mating surfaces, disassembling, reassembling and (inevitably) cleaning/fixing other stuff.

BUT, I tend to work slow, especially during valve adjustments since I've dropped shims before. An experienced S54 mechanic might be able to get this done in 3-4 hours.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

You "check" them as part of the job. Maybe all will be fine, maybe some need adj, maybe many need adj. That's the job.

Comment

Would checking really save much vs. just having the whole thing done?
                2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
                  Would checking really save much vs. just having the whole thing done?
                  No. It makes no sense. Esp when many people/shops, like myself, charge a flat rate for the job.

Comment

How does the heat sheild on top of Sec. 2 go on?

When I took my stock Sec. 2 off 3 of the 4 studs that hold the heatsheild were broken and I was left with 5 of these little "steelwool washers", one nut and what appears to be a non-OEM washer.

My question is how is the heatsheild placed on Sec. 2? Do the steelwool washers go only on top of the shield, only on bottom or do I need 8 steelwool washers for top and bottom?

I likely won't be able to fit the shield regardless as my aftermarket muffler raises Sec. 2 too high so even with the OEM pipe it won't fit, now with a larger (SS) Sec. 2 the gap may be even smaller.

Hopefully if it doesn’t fit I can continue to run without it without too much consequence but if it does fit I'd like to know how to mount it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220927_225342.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	186247

Instagram

Comment

Comment

Anyone happen to know where one might source something close to these washers for Sec. 2 heatshield?

Instagram

Comment

I think Rob found a good substitute. IIRC, it was Rob, in his street build thread if you go to the part where he's fitting the oversized SS sect 2.

In my experience, the aftermarket, larger pipe sits too close to the driver propshaft flange on the diff, and if you install the stock heatshield with washers underneath, the heat shield will kiss the diff flange. It probably is dependent on other factors like how the sect 2 meets the sect 3, and how you space out the crossmember braces on which the sect 2's rubber hangers sit.

I installed the heat shield with only 4 wire washers on top, to give myself about 1/4" clearance.
                          Last edited by Tbonem3; 09-28-2022, 07:38 AM.

Comment

hey guys,

Saw this on mpartsworld wide on IG... https://www.instagram.com/p/CjJKNZzJuz3/

what kit is this? I've been trying to do some research, because it looks like a fantastic price, but i don't want to jump in without doing the proper nam3f member research. lhahah

I couldn't find any info on hte 362mm rotors other than they are the same as AP's bbk.

Comment

Originally posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
                              hey guys,

Saw this on mpartsworld wide on IG... https://www.instagram.com/p/CjJKNZzJuz3/

what kit is this? I've been trying to do some research, because it looks like a fantastic price, but i don't want to jump in without doing the proper nam3f member research. lhahah

I couldn't find any info on hte 362mm rotors other than they are the same as AP's bbk.
                              Yeah, I was eyeballing that as well, curious as to what it is too, didnt look like the standard 996 "big reds" but I may be wrong.
                              Don't worry, I won't be buying it regardless.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Yeah, I was eyeballing that as well, curious as to what it is too, didnt look like the standard 996 "big reds" but I may be wrong.
                                Don't worry, I won't be buying it regardless.
                                I think they have actually multiple kits, I also found the same kit eBay for $200 cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                                X