Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb question: if structural foam injection was previously done many years ago for the rear subframe, is it still possible to do any further reinforcement with any of the current solutions?

Comment

Just no welding.

So you can do rivet style (rear and front points) or a GTR style brace or 6 point.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Fairly new Eldor coils from FCP with about 4K miles on them. Are they defective or is something else going on?

Attached Files
        Silver Track to Street Car Journal
        Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

"eldor" lol try some lord of the rings magic spell and maybe they'll start working again.

Try reseating them? Misfire can be other issues though, plugs, knock sensors.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
            What would be a good type of grease to use for seat rails? Don't want any lingering smell etc.

I am in the process of cleaning up some old rusty seat rails and used a lot of brake clean trying to remove as much of the factory grease as possible as it was full of gritty debris.

Also, bonus points for application techniques as you can't get the center sections packed with grease very easily.
            I would and do use Wurth True Glide, a lithium soap based synthetic grease. Goes on clear, doesn't run and works its way into areas to eliminate noises and reduce friction on moving parts. I use it on sunroof tracks, metal hinges, plastic; even very light coating as an assembly lube in some instances. I apply it with some cheap Harbor Freight brushes and it works wonders. One tube lasts YEARS. The major online parts houses sell it.

TRUE GLIDE Multipurpose Synthetic Grease New improved synthetic, heavy-duty multipurpose lubricant with PTFE that provides long life protection against friction, wear, rust and corrosion. Compatible with most rubber, plastics and electrical connectors. Will not run, drip, evaporate or form gummy depo- sits. Will not melt or separate. It is an excellent dielectric grease and operates over a temperature range from -42 to 232°C (-45 to 450°F). NSF registered for incidental food contact. NLGI grade 2. Excellent water resistance and rust inhibiting properties. Features: Compatible with most other greases Outlasts conventional greases 3 to 4 times Dielectric Will not drip, run or evaporate Excellent water and rust resistance NSF registered (H1), #155304 50 State Compliant No Volatile Silicone Benefits: Use on and near electrical contacts Use in food processing areas Use in Body Shops Uses: Plain, anti-friction, ball, roller, wheel bearings Cams, slides, valves, conveyors, chains Food processor equipment Hubs, axles, chassis, shocks, springs Seat regulators and tracks Trailer and buddy bearings Dielectric applications, battery protector Campers, RV’s, trailers, bicycles Lawn mowers, garage doors, snow blowers Garden and farm equipment

Comment

Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post
              Left for work this morning and the TPMS, Brake, and DSC light came on while I was driving slowly through the parking lot. A quick search says it's might be the steering angle sensor acting up? I just got to work and haven't checked to see if it's still there.

edit: went back to the car, fired it up, and no more lights. it was rainy this morning so maybe the belt slipped?
              Those 3 lights together indicate your left rear wheel speed sensor is dirty. Remove it and then clean it and the toothed gear attached to the wheel hub (look inside the hole) with some brake cleaner and elbow grease. The sensors rarely fail. Hardest part is getting the car up and wheel off for access. I'd clean the other three, too. Mine were pretty dirty after 10 years / 18k miles since last cleaning. If the lights are on constantly, they will clear once you drive the car for a bit.

Mike
              02 M3 Titanium Silver/Black
              11 Tundra SuperWhite/Black
              16 X5

Comment

How are people removing the airbag stickers from the sun visors? I tried steam and goo gone but I'm now left with colored residue from the stickers.

Comment

Is there a way to remove the positive battery terminal on the passenger side in engine bay? Trying to install my strut bar without dropping the suspension but the terminal is in the way.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20230115_155151.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	200766
                  "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                  ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Is there a way to remove the positive battery terminal on the passenger side in engine bay? Trying to install my strut bar without dropping the suspension but the terminal is in the way.

There is only one plastic fastener holding it in I believe, remove that, pull up the rubber weather deal and the terminal should pull staight up and out.
                    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                    Instagram

Comment

The fastener is the blue arrow. First pull straight up the entire assembly I circled in green, then the blue arrow fastener will slide out toward the front of the car, then the cable box can be pulled up/removed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Here’s a dumb question, how do I reset an air bag light? Bought the car with drivers side door airbag light on. Car was in an accident at some point so I assume from that, however replaced the air bag but can’t seem to figure it out.

Took it to a bmw shop and they tried but it came right back. Could it be something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Liverpoolreds8 View Post
                          Here’s a dumb question, how do I reset an air bag light? Bought the car with drivers side door airbag light on. Car was in an accident at some point so I assume from that, however replaced the air bag but can’t seem to figure it out.

Took it to a bmw shop and they tried but it came right back. Could it be something else?

You need specific software to clear them. Inpa for example. There are a few sources for the download around the forums.

However, if your came back there is likely a fault with the system. One common issue is a broken retainer for the airbag connectors. There are little fingers on the clip that when seated actually push the contacts together in the connector. If one is broken, there will not actually be a completed circuit and the system will flag it. If yours had a replaced airbag that would track. Person who replaced it might have damaged the retainer. 20 year old plastic can break really easy.

Previous owner of mine did a window regulator and must have broken a clip in the process. I got a few from a junkyard e46 to replace it and have a spare or two.

To confirm, disconnect battery, pull the door panel off and check the connector. Hard to describe how to remove them so google is a must here. Sorry.
                          Last edited by Lee_Enfield; 01-19-2023, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee_Enfield View Post

You need specific software to clear them. Inpa for example. There are a few sources for the download around the forums.

However, if your came back there is likely a fault with the system. One common issue is a broken retainer for the airbag connectors. There are little fingers on the clip that when seated actually push the contacts together in the connector. If one is broken, there will not actually be a completed circuit and the system will flag it. If yours had a replaced airbag that would track. Person who replaced it might have damaged the retainer. 20 year old plastic can break really easy.

Previous owner of mine did a window regulator and must have broken a clip in the process. I got a few from a junkyard e46 to replace it and have a spare or two.

To confirm, disconnect battery, pull the door panel off and check the connector. Hard to describe how to remove them so google is a must here. Sorry.
                            You’re talking about the actual connection to the airbag correct? It’s a small black connector that sort of slides in at 90 degrees if I remember.

If that’s the one that would trigger it then it must be that because I noticed it was broken but it seemed to clip in just fine

Comment

Originally posted by Liverpoolreds8 View Post

You’re talking about the actual connection to the airbag correct? It’s a small black connector that sort of slides in at 90 degrees if I remember.

If that’s the one that would trigger it then it must be that because I noticed it was broken but it seemed to clip in just fine

Yes. The lock will clip in fine and work to retain the connector but if the little fingers are broken it will not complete the circut. If yours is broken, then that will cause a fault light. You will need to have the codes cleared again if it is as the airbag system will not clear it by itself like some CEL will.

Check out this thread for pics.
                              https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...#post-18711443
                              Last edited by Lee_Enfield; 01-19-2023, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Can you replace the front pickup screen on an S54 oil pump?

Comment

Working...
                                X