This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Any reason why you're not just machining your trans? It'll be cheaper and you'll know that everything works like it should.
    I suppose the only reason is that I could

a) sell the entire SMG transmission and recoup some costs
    b) even if were to use the bell housing, that’s only $500 less than the cost of buying the entire transmission.

I was also told that there might be less coding involved and no new wiring for cruise control. Obviously the risk that something is deformed is always there.

Comment

I've got a stupid question. I think this info was on the old M3F but that's gone now...

Are the track width (hub to hub) of front + rear different, or the same? What about the width between the edge of the fenders?

i.e. when you go to put a square setup on these cars (18x9.5" et35 for example), you often need a 12-15 mm spacer in the rear to make it look equal. Is this to compensate for track width, or are the rear fenders wider than the rear?
      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by S3diment View Post

I suppose the only reason is that I could

a) sell the entire SMG transmission and recoup some costs
        b) even if were to use the bell housing, that’s only $500 less than the cost of buying the entire transmission.

I was also told that there might be less coding involved and no new wiring for cruise control. Obviously the risk that something is deformed is always there.
        Hmm it if were me, I would trust my computer-shifted (no grinding gears, possibly less worn synchros) transmission over some unknown manual trans that might have been abused and was involved in a crash. Then I would put those $500 that I saved into refreshing the springs, detents, and fluids.

Haven't done this swap myself, but I would think that the gear position sensor would require running some extra wires. Again, if it were me I would just skip that sensor and code it out. You're going to have to code things anyway and flipping the setting for that sensor doesn't add any appreciable complexity.

If you feel more comfortable with a manual trans vs a machined SMG trans then go for it, but I would definitely make sure that trans you posted is working 100%. The visible corrosion and deformation of the clutch fork (where it meets the slave cylinder) don't give me the best impression. Quick eBay search showed a few manual 420g transmissions with 100-140k mi for ~1k, so it's not like this is a once in a lifetime kind of deal.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

My dumb question: is there anyway to lighten the OEM seat and sacrifice some functionality? Running a non-OEM seat, even if FIA certified, seems sketchy on the street. Is there a happy compromise between weight & safety for a street car?
          2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
          ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

My dumb question that I probably should google/youtube. How do you program the memory seats?

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post
              My dumb question that I probably should google/youtube. How do you program the memory seats?
              Move the seat to your desired location. hit the M button. Click the number you want to set it to. repeat up to 3 times.

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post
                My dumb question: is there anyway to lighten the OEM seat and sacrifice some functionality? Running a non-OEM seat, even if FIA certified, seems sketchy on the street. Is there a happy compromise between weight & safety for a street car?
                Ian loves his cobra nogaros. I think he has a thread dedicated to his review of these. Basically, they are a street safe bucket. According to him, you get most of the functionality of a bucket with all the street safety.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/us/cobr...-seat-1055521/

These guys have them for pretty freaking cheap. They are selling the carbon ones for $2600 a seat... They are normally $4-$5k+ a seat. Buy 2 and you can have them shipped to your front door for $5600

Comment

resolved
                  Last edited by felfo; 11-10-2020, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Hi guys, I just joined the forum a day ago and was looking at the e46 buy/sale section. I can post replies on all the normal forums but can't post a reply on buy/sale thread. Can someone help me with this please?

Comment

Is the windshield any different than other e46 3 series models? I want to buy a fancy custom fit cover craft uvs100 shade but manufacturer says fits other e46 3 series but doesn’t fit m3

Comment

Originally posted by Heckblende View Post
                        Hi guys, I just joined the forum a day ago and was looking at the e46 buy/sale section. I can post replies on all the normal forums but can't post a reply on buy/sale thread. Can someone help me with this please?
                        Obioban can you confirm? I think you need a certain number of posts before you can use the buy/for sale section.

Comment

10 posts needed elsewhere before you can post in the classifieds.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Thanks for the help guys! Time to get my posts up lol.

Comment

I’m at 12 posts and can’t reply in FS section lol

Comment

I keep seeing this product on our local CL: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts...210048143.html

But I've never, to my knowledge at least, seen a E46 M3 with something like this installed. It's not quite a mudflap. Does anyone have experience with these? Why don't more people run them?
                                2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
                                ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Working...
                                X