Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got an oil leak that’s literally got the trans and section 1 drenched in oil. CPV was changed and car was manual swapped by PO 5k miles ago (hoping they did rear main seal)...let’s say they didn’t, would a rear main seal generate that big of an oil leak or am i looking at OPG?

Comment

Originally posted by sbay View Post
      Got an oil leak that’s literally got the trans and section 1 drenched in oil. CPV was changed and car was manual swapped by PO 5k miles ago (hoping they did rear main seal)...let’s say they didn’t, would a rear main seal generate that big of an oil leak or am i looking at OPG?
      Where does the oil stain start? How far forward?
      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Where does the oil stain start? How far forward?
        Will check and report back!

Comment

Check the vanos line!!

Comment

Couple quick questions. Plan on having the subframe and vanos done over the winter for preventative maintenance. I see up top in the sticky an option is the foam BMW fix, I’ve been reading in other more recent threads that the subframe needs to be dropped, welding done, etc. Is the foam not really looked at as an option any more?

should I just buy a rebuilt Vanos from DrVanos? Is that rebuilt with OEM parts or does it us Beisan like I’ve read about a number of places if I needed to order all the parts separate before taking to a shop .

Is there anything else I should absolutely have done at the same time due to what will need to be taken apart to begin with?

Comment

Originally posted by Swizbeatz View Post
              I see up top in the sticky an option is the foam BMW fix, I’ve been reading in other more recent threads that the subframe needs to be dropped, welding done, etc. Is the foam not really looked at as an option any more?
              I personally don't think the foam is a solution. Plates and topside reinforcement (Vincebar, CMP or similar) is what I would recommend. Read through threads like this one to get more info/opinions though: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...subframe-crack

CMP's articles on their website are also an excellent source of information: https://cmpautoengineering.com/pages/technical
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

2003.5 m3. what trunk release button cover I need to get? Is there an easy way to replace it?

Comment

Does the Oil Level sensor also check the temp in these cars? When I'm on the highway, the Oil Temp reading is below usual operating temp. Granted it's in the 30's at night. Anyone else experience this?

Comment

Originally posted by S3diment View Post
                    Does the Oil Level sensor also check the temp in these cars? When I'm on the highway, the Oil Temp reading is below usual operating temp. Granted it's in the 30's at night. Anyone else experience this?
                    Separate sensor by oil filter. Cruising on highway is low load (requires ~20hp to maintain constant speed), so with so much airflow, especially at that ambient, I'd expect to see lower fluid temp. I see my needle move left a bit even in summer while highway cruising.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Pulley kits for S54.. Are they all created equal? Im not looking to change the alternator pulley, Im kinda skeptical since our cars have to many electonics plus I have an aftermarket AMP.

Turner Kit
                      PPK-S54 - Turner Motorsport Power Pulley Kit - E46 M3 | Turner Motorsport

Rogue engineering street kit
                      Rogue Engineering Power Pulleys

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
                        Pulley kits for S54.. Are they all created equal? Im not looking to change the alternator pulley, Im kinda skeptical since our cars have to many electonics plus I have an aftermarket AMP.

Turner Kit
                        PPK-S54 - Turner Motorsport Power Pulley Kit - E46 M3 | Turner Motorsport

Rogue engineering street kit
                        Rogue Engineering Power Pulleys
                        I don't know if they are all created equal, but I can tell you I have been running the RE Street Pulleys for about a month with zero problems. That said, all my electronics are OEM w/o extra amps or subs.
                        2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
                        ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post

I don't know if they are all created equal, but I can tell you I have been running the RE Street Pulleys for about a month with zero problems. That said, all my electronics are OEM w/o extra amps or subs.
                          Did you feel any restored power or gains on the butt dyno?

Comment

I bought my car with aftermarket studs and lug nuts, and I've always had aftermarket wheels. Looking to get a set of OEM BMW factory wheels and wondering if its ok to use my open ended conical lug nuts, or would need to find a set of lug nuts with a different seat shape for the OEM wheels?
                            2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
                            Instagram
                            Youtube

Comment

I think this is a dumb question!! If after installing a CSL airbox can the car be driven about an hour to the tuner/dyno? I am sure it will throw codes but will it damage anything? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post

Did you feel any restored power or gains on the butt dyno?
                                Overall I am satisfied with it. It's hard to know what's real and what's my imagination or being influenced by reading other's reviews. The car definitely seems just slightly more eager to rev up to redline. Not earth shattering, but I'm currently "legal in CA" smog wise, so my options for mods are limited
                                2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
                                ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Working...
                                X