X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IamFODI
    replied
    Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
    How susceptible to damage--specifically internally--are axles during shipping if say, they are so poorly packaged that they bang on each other, bust through the outer box, and sustain damage such that the metal flanges are dinged and the black finish is removed? Splines and threads appear fine. Asking for a friend...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Damaged_2.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	238133

Name:	Damaged_3.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	238135
    I wouldn't run that. Probably fine but... damn. How hard is it to pack something?

Leave a comment:

• Cubieman
    replied
    Originally posted by bavarian3 View Post
    Reading through the torque spec documentation i’m seeing alot of angle specs. excluding rod bearings and other critical engine uses, are people really bothering with this? about to reinstall my rear suspension.
    I generally try to put the proper angle on bolts when I can, with the rear suspension stuff I'm sure your fine just making it tight.
    If you ever us a Techangle or similar torque wrench sometimes it's surprising just how much extra torque is involved in the angle process as these wrenches tell you how many nm/ft lbs you just added after 45° of rotation for example.

I think the diff cover cover bolts are ones I just eyeball for the angle portion as it's impossible to get a traditional angle gauge/wrench on there.

Leave a comment:

• bavarian3
    replied
    Reading through the torque spec documentation i’m seeing alot of angle specs. excluding rod bearings and other critical engine uses, are people really bothering with this? about to reinstall my rear suspension.

Leave a comment:

• BigRussia
    replied
    Could a dead battery cause misfire issues afterwards? Anyone had this happen specifically w/ the AntiGravity ATX-30 w/ the Restart feature?

Dead battery this morning, do the Restart feature, car started up fine but been dealing with misfiring issues since, more evident at low rpms (happened after a wot pull on hwy onramp corner). Pulled below codes, nothing changed on car recently other than BBK install n power bled brakes. After clearing and charging battery a bit, test drove and car broke up worse at WOT and SES light, had to limp at 3k couldn't go higher, now pulled only one cyl 6 code (201 now instead of 210).
    Fuel tank was at 1/4 when happened if matters, but not very old fuel (maybe 2 months max). Had put fresh gas before I got home and pulled the first set of codes.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• PSUEng
    replied
    How susceptible to damage--specifically internally--are axles during shipping if say, they are so poorly packaged that they bang on each other, bust through the outer box, and sustain damage such that the metal flanges are dinged and the black finish is removed? Splines and threads appear fine. Asking for a friend...

Name:	Damaged_2.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	238133

Name:	Damaged_3.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	238135
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PSUEng; 10-15-2023, 03:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cubieman
    replied
    Originally posted by robgill View Post

+1 for Morimoto. Factory trim fits perfect. I think it looks better than stock.

Nice, thanks for the info, I'll give them a try, about $175 vs. $375 for OE BMW.

Leave a comment:

• robgill
    replied
    Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
    I'm am looking to replace fog lights as my originals are quite weathered but noticed that OE stuff is quite expensive.

I am looking at these Morimotos, I would like to know if the factory trim ring fits over them so they don't as aftermarket. Also if there are any big issues using them in general.

+1 for Morimoto. Factory trim fits perfect. I think it looks better than stock.

Leave a comment:

• Cubieman
    replied
    I'm am looking to replace fog lights as my originals are quite weathered but noticed that OE stuff is quite expensive.

I am looking at these Morimotos, I would like to know if the factory trim ring fits over them so they don't as aftermarket. Also if there are any big issues using them in general.

Leave a comment:

• Arith2
    replied
    Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
    Isn't another liability of RTV that it's more prone to misapplication, which could mean some would get into the moving parts?
    A smooth, even layer covering the entire diff cover sealing surface prevents this issue. It works well and it seals everywhere, no matter what. I learned that from an old Goldmeister Porsche tech. The man had probably resealed hundreds of engines. The guy remembered all the torque specs for an entire 993 engine. Nonetheless, I resealed my diff cover and removing the paper gasket was an absolute pain. At least RTV just requires a razor blade. No leaks after 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• Tbonem3
    replied
    Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Is there a stamp ATE on the genuine ZCP rotors? I know ATE makes the calipers as there is a clear stamp on that.

Edit: Last set of Genuine BMW non-ZCP rear rotors I checked were not stamped ATE on them.
    There is an "ATE" engraving in the bell.

Leave a comment:

• Nate047
    replied
    Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Genuine rotors are ATE.

The zimmerman's do look pretty identical, at least besides the duller/grey coating. My issue with zimmerman is that they cost the same (actually more the last time I ordered). The only good reason to deviate from Genuine BMW (OE) is to save money.
    I've seen the price fluctuate as well, but right now they are a little cheaper

Leave a comment:

• Slideways
    replied
    Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Genuine rotors are ATE.

The zimmerman's do look pretty identical, at least besides the duller/grey coating. My issue with zimmerman is that they cost the same (actually more the last time I ordered). The only good reason to deviate from Genuine BMW (OE) is to save money.
    Is there a stamp ATE on the genuine ZCP rotors? I know ATE makes the calipers as there is a clear stamp on that.

Edit: Last set of Genuine BMW non-ZCP rear rotors I checked were not stamped ATE on them.
    Last edited by Slideways; 10-11-2023, 09:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tbonem3
    replied
    Originally posted by Slideways View Post

If you look at a pictures of both genuine and Zimmerman ZCP rotors on ECS, all the key features look identical. It says on their website that the rotors have been made in the same factory in Germany for more than 60 years - https://zimmermann-bremsen.shop/eng/

Just like Textar makes the pads for BMW and Porsche, it seems Zimmerman is contracted to make the performance/sport rotors. To sell to the aftermarket, they don't include the BMW logo and choose to coat the whole rotor.
    Genuine rotors are ATE.

Leave a comment:

• Nate047
    replied
    Right on, thanks guys

Leave a comment:

• Shonky
    replied
    Genuine rotors are ATE I'm pretty sure. At least for the cross drilled Euro variants.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X