Porsche 996 Brembo BBK Conversion Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MathewM3 View Post
    I am considering taking my calipers to a local shop. Not sure though since they don't have the same experience as RR.
    In the Bay Area, All the shops i called were charging just as much if not more than RR. So I paid for shipping costs and let Eric do it since he is quite familiar to say the least with what needs to be done. If you are ordering RR brackets and lines, then you can save on return shipping.

If you have a local machine shop that you trust, then by all means, use whatever you are comfortable with. I know RR's chances of fucking it up was close to zero. I couldnt say that for a machine shop that has never done it before however.

Comment

Originally posted by Dafoe View Post
      Great post! One of my favorite mods. You can really feel the reduced unstrung weight.
      Thanks. Your post on the old M3F was something i was trying to get a hold of. Site went down as soon as I decided to finally tackle the project. Thanks to TBone and all other resources here I was able to get my install on the way and I figured why not document it for others so they can avoid the pitfalls I went through.

Comment

Hi there! I am new to the forum and this thread was the last source I found with all the important details (part numbers, etc) for this project. I am installing the rear 996/986 Brembo's to my Z4M along with front 135i BMW Performance 6 pot callipers.

Comment

Hi OP, sorry to hijack the thread but since I am in the process of doing this conversion, I thought I could add a few more pictures feel free to move them to the main page.

today I spend most of the day trialling the callipers (rear) to modify the dust shields, I wanted to do this before I paint the callipers so I don't risk scratching them during the mockup and proceed to cut the shields to accommodate the Porsche callipers.

I am using rally road brackets

So the first step was of course to remove the wheel, calliper, and rotor, nothing out of this world here; I also was very lucky and my rotor screws came out pretty easily

Below you can see the share I followed for the upper part of the dust shield. at this point, I had cut just enough to bolt the upper section.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Top-Cut.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.2 KB ID:	36510

Next, the lower part, I did this to avoid cutting too much and follow the pattern of the mounted calliper, as you can see it was not much what needed to be cut just to seat the bracket, but you do need to cut off some more for the calliper to clear.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bottom-Cut.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.1 KB ID:	36509

After cutting the shield I was able to mount the calliper

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0029.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	36511

So far so good, but then I also checked how centred was the calliper in relationship to the rotor, and I found that is 3.2mm too car inboard. the bracket kit comes with 4 washers but they are just 0.8mm thick, so for the calliper to be centered I would need to use the 4 washers on one calliper, so I need to get some stainless washers from home depot.

See how the supporting pin of the outboard pad is contacting the rotor

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0031.JPG Views:	0 Size:	68.8 KB ID:	36513

Here you can see how much clearance is on the inboard side (that gap is 3.2 - 3.3mm), I measured it with feeler gauges. in this very picture, you can see where the bracket seats to the knuckle, there it is where the washers need to be placed, ideally 1.6mm thick to put it in the middle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0035.JPG Views:	0 Size:	62.0 KB ID:	36512

I will post a photo of the other side so you see the final product of the cut, I did use my Dremel smooth out the cuts and since I don't drive on the rain or winter I am skipping paining it for now as I would hate if I spray other bits in the process, plus you don't see it at all. bellow
          Last edited by maupineda; 06-21-2020, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Hmmm my RR adapters didn’t come with washers, only the locking washers in the zinc bolts. Looks like I’ll need to grab some.
            2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post
              Hmmm my RR adapters didn’t come with washers, only the locking washers in the zinc bolts. Looks like I’ll need to grab some.
              Hi, these are the washers I was given. they are 20mm OD, 11 ID and 0.8mm thick. They don't seem to be inox, so I may just buy some from home depot. or ask Eric from RR to give me 4 more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CalliperWashers.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	37110

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post

Hi, these are the washers I was given. they are 20mm OD, 11 ID and 0.8mm thick. They don't seem to be inox, so I may just buy some from home depot. or ask Eric from RR to give me 4 more.

Name:	CalliperWashers.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	37110
                Thanks for sharing. I never got any washers in my kit from RR. Looks like I need to make a trip to HD.

Where exactly are you placing these? In between adapter and trailing arm I'm assuming?
                2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I never got any washers in my kit from RR. Looks like I need to make a trip to HD.

Where exactly are you placing these? In between adapter and trailing arm I'm assuming?
                  Correct. Between the adapter and the trailing arm mounting points

Comment

I dont remember mine coming with washer either. I'll have to double check again. I'll update the POST with the pictures you have sometime this weekend. The more info out there the better!

Comment

Correct. Between the adapter and the trailing arm mounting points
                      Are there threads in the knuckle for the bolt that holds the adapter? Or are the threads just in the adapter?

I’m wondering if adding a washer or two will cause issues if it reduces the threads on the adapter side.

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0029.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	36511

So far so good, but then I also checked how centred was the calliper in relationship to the rotor, and I found that is 3.2mm too car inboard. the bracket kit comes with 4 washers but they are just 0.8mm thick, so for the calliper to be centered I would need to use the 4 washers on one calliper, so I need to get some stainless washers from home depot.

See how the supporting pin of the outboard pad is contacting the rotor

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0031.JPG Views:	0 Size:	68.8 KB ID:	36513

Here you can see how much clearance is on the inboard side (that gap is 3.2 - 3.3mm), I measured it with feeler gauges. in this very picture, you can see where the bracket seats to the knuckle, there it is where the washers need to be placed, ideally 1.6mm thick to put it in the middle.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0035.JPG Views:	0 Size:	62.0 KB ID:	36512
                        My Rally Road brackets did not come with those washers and my pin clearance was perfect. It looks like the pins are pushed inward too far on the face of the caliper. Most pins ( including mine ) are flush with the face of the caliper. If they were flush the front pin clearance would be the same as the rear pins.

Name:	image_2949.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	37336

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E4422.JPG Views:	0 Size:	99.5 KB ID:	37322
                        Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 06-23-2020, 08:12 PM.
                        TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                        Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                        Evolve Eventuri
                        - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Are there threads in the knuckle for the bolt that holds the adapter? Or are the threads just in the adapter?

I’m wondering if adding a washer or two will cause issues if it reduces the threads on the adapter side.
                          threads are in the trailing arm, all things kept equal, 1.6mm are about 1.5 turns of the bolt, I don't think it matters, or... use a longer bolt but there is not much space between the other side of the knuckle and bearing. so it is no brainer. with heat expansion, I would be more concerned about the pins binding to the rotor.

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post

My Rally Road brackets did not come with those washers and my pin clearance was perfect. It looks like the pins are pushed inward too far on the face of the caliper. Most pins ( including mine ) are flush with the face of the caliper. If they were flush the front pin clearance would be the same as the rear pins.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2949.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.0 KB ID:	37336

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_E4422.JPG Views:	0 Size:	99.5 KB ID:	37322
                            Hi Json, that is a good point, I also checked how the pins are attached, and they seem to have a locating dowel pin (I assume so they don't come out), but without taking them apart, I don't know how much tolerance there is to push the pins more in than not, but in your photo is obvious your pins are flush, mine are not, and yes, I can tell the front pins (where the Porsche logo was) are not within the same location into the pockets as the backside. odd, however, both of my callipers are identical

What I will do is to measure the distance from the rotor face to the inner face of the calliper and see if their distance is consistent with the measurements I took using the pins.

when I collected the kit, Eric (Rally Road) did say I am giving you these washers if you need them to center the calliper in relation to the rotor. he mentioned variability, based on this it seems the variation may be in the calliper themselves if the pins are pushed-in differently from set to set.
                            Last edited by maupineda; 06-24-2020, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Yes they are held in place with dowel pins so that would have to be removed to move the pin. Makes sense there is a variance between different Porsche calipers, the washer is the easiest route. It's Gary btw...
                              TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                              Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                              Evolve Eventuri
                              - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

I believe Porsche uses the same part number for the Carerra and the Boxster, however the Boxster (non S) has a different offset on the rotor which can be seen looking at the face of the caliper. If the 2 pins are flush with the face, it will fit the M3 fine. If they are inset by about 2-3mm, they will not clear the rotor (just like the ones in your photos). Also, my RR brackets did not come with any washer as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X