Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting an MSS54/HP into an MSS54HP CSL (H-bridge)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CDZ400 View Post
    Hi there,

I recently bought 2002 e46 M3 (MSS54 ECU) and would like to go for an OEM CSL tune rather than other aftermarket tunes when I receive my CSL intake. I was planning to have my MSS54 ECU physical and software update done in Kessel but upon reading the comments in other topics I backed out of that option.

So I am trying to understand the steps in this topic regarding what I need to do the conversion DIY despite all the risks I will take on the responsibility with my very limited electronics knowledge.

A quick summary of what I understood:

1) H-Bridge is needed only for CSL flap activation. If I do not install Hbridge, CSL tune will still work. But I need turn off the flap related DTCs and apply Paffy's tune as stated above.
    2) It is a must to update 2 of the red resistors to make the MAP sensor work in post # 6. The GM MAP sensor will work on MSS54 after the resistor update, but the scaling needs to be changed through software. Yellow resistors seem to be optional so far.
    3) this is the part that I am absolutely clueless - probably a rookie question: why do we need to change the eeproms as per post #9? Just to make the MSS54 an MSS54HP CSL hardware clone or to be able to easily write the software or to disable immobilizer? can not I write the software on the MSS54 eeproms?

Thanks!
    1. Correct about the H bridge and related DTCs. However, you will need to flash the new chips via BDM, so might as well just flash the full CSL binary --which includes the CSL boot sector-- instead of the one modified by Paffy/terra. Remember to also change the scaling for the pressure sensor on the DME and disable the DTC for the injectors.

2. Correct.

3. The EEPROMs on an MSS54 are of different size than those on an MSS54HP. The non-HP ones are 256KB (AM29F200BB) and the HP ones are 512KB (AM29F400BB). Because of this, the non-HP binary is 512 KB in size (each EEPROM gets half) and the regular HP and CSL binaries are 1MB (1024KB). This means you cannot run the HP or CSL binaries on an MSS54 as there is not enough space to store them. You must swap out the EEPROMs to be able to flash the 1MB binaries.

Hope this makes things a bit clearer.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Hope this makes things a bit clearer.
      Thank you. Now Hardware-wise I know what to do and the reasons behind it 👍 software... we will see once I get to that point 😅

Comment

Originally posted by CDZ400 View Post

Thank you. Now Hardware-wise I know what to do and the reasons behind it 👍 software... we will see once I get to that point 😅
        Since you're going to need to flash the new chips via BDM anyway, just flash the CSL full binary (with the appropriate changes for the pressure sensor and DTC disables) and you're set.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

anyone out there that can convert my MSS54 DME to the MSS54HP? i dont need the flap (H-bridge) i just want to be able to run my carbon box on a MAP tune..

Comment

^As stated, if you do not need the flap, just flash the CSL conversion hosted on github. Check the stickied topics.
            TunerPro XDFs, DTCs, A2L, DIY Bench Flash Harness, Swap XDFs COMPREHENSIVE

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
              ^As stated, if you do not need the flap, just flash the CSL conversion hosted on github. Check the stickied topics.
              That won't work for an MSS54.

T3amfish I know Kassel offers the hardware conversion service. There's probably others shops that do too. And if you buy the EEPROMs you can probably bring it to any electronics shop and get them to swap them out.

Comment

Oops, didn't read it well enough, assuming that people would already have an MSS54HP when asking to convert to a CSL variant.
                Last edited by R3Z3N; 07-12-2020, 03:32 PM.
                TunerPro XDFs, DTCs, A2L, DIY Bench Flash Harness, Swap XDFs COMPREHENSIVE

Comment

What argument should be put in adept_geaeuschklappe of tool32 for csl flap opening test?

I want to do a flap test before installing the carbon airbox. The MSS54HP is equipped with H-bridge and cap, and flash with fullbinary of terra. I made the environment for dme bench test, and I heard that flap test is possible with tool32 so I want to try it, but I don't know if I should put in the agument. Please let me know if anyone knows.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Doesn't need an argument as far as I recall. You might need to run it twice

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                      Doesn't need an argument as far as I recall. You might need to run it twice
                      Thank you for your reply! I've run it twice without an argument, but there's no response. There seems to be a problem with my h-bridge or connection.

Comment

FYI, I removed the EEPROMS using Chipquik tonight and it was super easy. Took both chips off in 5 min.

Here's a good video explaining how it works

Comment

Here is some good info too on the EEPROMs if you are going to order one and want to know what all the numbers/letters mean
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-07-22 am29f400b_21505e8 book - AM29F400B_EOL_21505e8-9219 pdf.png
Views:	891
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	44758 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-07-22 am29f400b_21505e8 book - AM29F400B_EOL_21505e8-9219 pdf(1).png
Views:	856
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	44759

Comment

Nice thanks. If anyone is going to order chips make sure to get the fastest chip you can find, although apparently anything as slow as 60 is fine for HP applications.

Comment

Anyone here knowing the adresses to enable Cruise Control in CSL clones?
                              …under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
                                Anyone here knowing the adresses to enable Cruise Control in CSL clones?
                                Try to modify 0x9914 from 99 to 3
                                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwN...zf45mXp6PDOCzA

Comment

Working...
                                X