Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting an MSS54/HP into an MSS54HP CSL (H-bridge)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone drive the flap with MSS5HP with NON-CSL binariy(terra's)?

Especially thanks to Heinz and Terra, I was able to install the Karbonius airbox. To drive the flap, the H-bridge and caps were soldered with SMD rework station on MSS54HP and the full binary of terra was flashed. However, as in the last posting, the flap did not move with Tool32, and even if installed in my car, the flap does not move in sport mode.

Except for the flap motor, the car runs great!

I double-checked my tune with ECUworx binary tool, and confirmed that the wiring of the Flap motor and sensor is connected correctly. After that I remounted the new H-bridge and caps, but the flap still doesn't move.

In this forum, most of the conversions for flap operation seem to flash EEPROMs with BDM, but I'm not sure if there is a case of driving flap with NON-CSL binary.

Thank you in advance for your reply.
    Last edited by horoto; 08-02-2020, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Post up a copy of your binary I will test it in my car.

Comment

Originally posted by horoto View Post
        Does anyone drive the flap with MSS5HP with NON-CSL binariy(terra's)?

Especially thanks to Heinz and Terra, I was able to install the Karbonius airbox. To drive the flap, the H-bridge and caps were soldered with SMD rework station on MSS54HP and the full binary of terra was flashed. However, as in the last posting, the flap did not move with Tool32, and even if installed in my car, the flap does not move in sport mode.

Except for the flap motor, the car runs great!

I double-checked my tune with ECUworx binary tool, and confirmed that the wiring of the Flap motor and sensor is connected correctly. After that I remounted the new H-bridge and caps, but the flap still doesn't move.

In this forum, most of the conversions for flap operation seem to flash EEPROMs with BDM, but I'm not sure if there is a case of driving flap with NON-CSL binary.

Thank you in advance for your reply.
        Can you read Map pressure? If yes, you should run a correct CSL Software. In Tool32 you can run the „gerauschklappe_adapt“ routine to test, but i had to run ist twice or sometimes had to repower the DME before the Flap comes to life.

maybe double check the orientation of the big cap and the H-Bridge.
        …under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by NZ_M3 View Post
          Post up a copy of your binary I will test it in my car.
          Thank you very much NZ_M3 for your help. I attached my binaries.

My orientation of the H-Bridge and big cap are shown as attached photos.
          I just tried to read the sensor value, but I couldn't because there was an error connecting to the Testo. I'll try again next time.

Attached Files

Comment

Just tested your file it works fine. The flap works perfect will upload a video

Last edited by NZ_M3; 08-04-2020, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the test NZ_M3!!!

After watching your test video, I realized one thing. In the result window of your Tool32 adapt_geraeuschklappe, there is UBATTCRRENT=1 UBATTHISTORY=1 IGNITIONCURRENT=1 IGNITIONHISTORY=1, and my tool32 is -1 as an attached photo.

What does this mean? Could this be the reason why the flap test is not working?
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by horoto View Post
                Thank you very much NZ_M3 for your help. I attached my binaries.

My orientation of the H-Bridge and big cap are shown as attached photos.
                I just tried to read the sensor value, but I couldn't because there was an error connecting to the Testo. I'll try again next time.
                where did you get your H bridge chip from?

i had the same problem as you when I purchased BOSCH 30348 1549 on ebay i asked other people on here where they get their BOSCH 30348 variants that DID work but no one answered me so i ended up just opening an MS45.1 DME and ti had a compatible MC33186DH Chip.

i see yours is actually MC33186HVw1, where did you get that chip from?

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

where did you get your H bridge chip from?

i had the same problem as you when I purchased BOSCH 30348 1549 on ebay i asked other people on here where they get their BOSCH 30348 variants that DID work but no one answered me so i ended up just opening an MS45.1 DME and ti had a compatible MC33186DH Chip.

i see yours is actually MC33186HVw1, where did you get that chip from?
                  I bought MC33186HVW1 in Rochester Electronics. I think it is a reliable provider.

Comment

FYI I replaced the yellow resistors on my MSS54 with some 10kohm resistors rated for 250mw (mfr # ERJ-UP3D1002V) for my MSS54HP conversion and was getting about double the current running through my DME when powered and it would not enter BDM mode. I went back to the stock resistors and all was good. For anyone doing this conversion, I would leave the yellow resistors alone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	map_resistors.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.2 KB ID:	48688

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Since you're going to need to flash the new chips via BDM anyway, just flash the CSL full binary (with the appropriate changes for the pressure sensor and DTC disables) and you're set.
                      So are you saying that after you convert an MSS54 to MSS54HP hardware-wise... In the future if you want to flash files you always have to do it via BDM you can't do it via OBD anymore?

And for the actual hardware conversion part what is the actual chip called? You supply the link saying "buy them from here" but you didn't mention an actual name of the chip or the resistors. I remember in the old thread it was notated in there what those parts were called.

Sorry I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything somewhere.

And how many of each part do you need?

We're the chips called:
                      Our Stock#:29F400BB-55SI-AMD
                      MFG. Part #:AM29F400BB-55SI
                      Last edited by nextelbuddy; 10-22-2020, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

So are you saying that after you convert an MSS54 to MSS54HP hardware-wise... In the future if you want to flash files you always have to do it via BDM you can't do it via OBD anymore?

And for the actual hardware conversion part what is the actual chip called? You supply the link saying "buy them from here" but you didn't mention an actual name of the chip or the resistors. I remember in the old thread it was notated in there what those parts were called.

Sorry I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything somewhere.

And how many of each part do you need?

We're the chips called:
                        Our Stock#:29F400BB-55SI-AMD
                        MFG. Part #:AM29F400BB-55SI
                        Take a look at posts 5 and 6 for chip and resistor information.

And no, the only reason why you need to flash via BDM is because the EEPROMs are blank when new. You only need to do it once after the hardware conversion. After that, the DME behaves like normal and you can flash via OBD.
                        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Finally, I was able to operate the flap.

Thank you very much to the members. Especially to heinzboehmer and NZ_M3.

What I did was to change 1.H-bridge (MC33186VW2) and to change 2.XOR gate (MM74HCH86M) chip and solder them again.

First, I got a new H-bridge from win-source.net and tested it on DME, and as soon as I turned on the ACC power of the car, the flap motor started to run continuously. At this time, when I did the "adapt_geraeuschlappe" test with tool32, the motor stopped once and moved again continuously.

I thought something was wrong, so I checked the connection to the DME circuit. The problem was that there was a Vbat voltage on the input because the number 3(input) and number 4 (Vbat) of the h-bridge chip pad were connected. After investigating the cause of this, there was a problem with the XOR gate chip (attached photo) connected to the Hbridge, although I don't know when it broke down.
                          I didn't have the spare parts of the chip right away, so I took it from another DME I had and swapped it to a DME for CSL clone.

The results are as shown in the video below.

If the flap is not working as well as in my case, it will be helpful to check the connectivity of the chip and check the surrounding circuit issue as well.
                          Attached Files

Last edited by horoto; 11-02-2020, 09:29 PM.

Comment

I was asked a couple things about flashing the full CSL binary onto the EEPROMs so figured I would post the info here too.

Each EEPROM gets half of the full binary. Splitting is just a matter of taking the 1024 kB binary and splitting it in half to form two 512 kB binaries. The first half of the full binary gets flashed onto the master EEPROM and the second half gets flashed onto the slave EEPROM.
                            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I have an mss54 that I need converted to an HP just to run CSL with the map sensor and the csl air box (no flap) for my e30 s54 swap. So far the only place I can find is Kassel Performance that does this. Has anyone had any experience with them doing this service? Is there anyone on this site or any other people that offer this service?

Comment

Originally posted by urban_e30_ View Post
                                I have an mss54 that I need converted to an HP just to run CSL with the map sensor and the csl air box (no flap) for my e30 s54 swap. So far the only place I can find is Kassel Performance that does this. Has anyone had any experience with them doing this service? Is there anyone on this site or any other people that offer this service?
                                Don't overnight the ECU, because it won't be turned around in 24hrs. lol. They did it though.

Comment

Working...
                                X