Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting an MSS54/HP into an MSS54HP CSL (H-bridge)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks I appreciate the feedback

Comment

Hello, great write-up. I have a few questions regarding post #8. I only want convert my MSS54 to HP, to run a CSL map for CSL intake + MAP sensor.

1.) I noticed that the MS43 DMEs have the AM29F400BB-55SI0 chips in them. Could I just take two of those and use those (I have a few of these DMEs laying arond)? I do see that the AM29F400BB-55SI that is described is not readily available on a few of the sites I have searched. The AMD datasheet that I pulled up for the AM29F400B seems to make no distinction between the different chips. Is it possible to just erase the AM29F400BB-55SI0 and use it in place of the AM29F400BB-55SI? Alldatasheet seems to have the same description between the two. (B-55SI B-55SI0).

2.) Can I use an EEPROM burner aside from the Galleto using those 10 pin headers on the MSS54?

3.) Just to make sure, I am assuming the software being flashed && the tune etc... are the ones readily available on the git? Apart from a few modifications for the injector driver, non-CSL cam, Manual car etc... should this tune work on an otherwise stock (cat-less) S54?

Thanks!

Comment

1. Yeah that should work. Haven't tried it myself, but they seem compatible just by looking at the datasheet. Page 7 here goes over the differences between the chips: https://www.componentonline.com/prod...M29F400BB-55SI

2. Sure. As long as you've got something that can write to the chips via BDM, you'll be fine. Another option is to use a chip burner and write to the chips directly before installing.

3. Yup, I got all the software for my conversion from git. The car will drive just fine, but the tune won't be optimal. I just recently got a proper tune for my car and can tell that the engine is happier (power is up slightly, power delivery is more linear and all the other usual things), but I drove around for a year or so with the stock CSL tune with the cam offsets changed and experienced basically no driveability issues.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Hello guys,
          Im actualy in process of converting MSS54 to HP with CSL software. The car have also the flap. HW part is done resistors, h-bridge, 29F400 added. I just have a problem with software. I tried to put in the old data from 29F200 just with second half FF but doesnt work. I also get the CSL fullbin and simply split it in half and load to the flashes but again no go. Can you please advice me a bit how to correctly load the software? Splitting and so? I just desoldered the flashes 1000 times and I believe the pcb nor the memories like it that much... Thank you a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by BobbySD View Post
            I also get the CSL fullbin and simply split it in half and load to the flashes but again no go.
            This is the correct way to do it. Make sure you're flashing the first half onto the master and the second half onto the slave. For reference:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200314_152155.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	84188
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

This is the correct way to do it. Make sure you're flashing the first half onto the master and the second half onto the slave. For reference:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200314_152155.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	84188
              Thanks mate, anyway still no go. Im dont know what Im doing wrong. Anyway I noticed that everytime I try to turn on the ecu it changes the data a bit. When I compare backup data with data I just download from the ecu it differs in few bits. That makes me think If the backup is correct as I cannot be sure right now. Do you think you can check if I split the data correctly? Even when its very simple task, Im being sceptic hehe. Thank you

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BobbySD View Post

Thanks mate, anyway still no go. Im dont know what Im doing wrong. Anyway I noticed that everytime I try to turn on the ecu it changes the data a bit. When I compare backup data with data I just download from the ecu it differs in few bits. That makes me think If the backup is correct as I cannot be sure right now. Do you think you can check if I split the data correctly? Even when its very simple task, Im being sceptic hehe. Thank you
                Yup, it looks to be split just fine. Have you tried communicating with the DME via OBD? Might let you know if it's behaving correctly or not.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Yup, it looks to be split just fine. Have you tried communicating with the DME via OBD? Might let you know if it's behaving correctly or not.
                  yeaah, Ive got the ECU connected on the table. I put there original 29F200 and ecu is ok communicating, recognized by flasher, also I can connect with inpa no problem. But when I put there those 29F400 with splited flash its just dead. I also tried to get different flash chips from scrap ecus which I have here and same result.

Comment

Hello again, Im still strugling with the issue above :X I bought new flash chips but its the same. It looks like the ecu just dont boot. Doesnt the CSL data need aby boot sector change? I read that you need to mod it if you want to flashthe ecu through winkfp. But in case of burning the original csl bins? As I wrote with original data ecu is working so the only possibility what could be wrong are those datas. Can anyone maybe share his bins? I moded the mss54 with Hbridge, resistors, capacitator as in the first page. Soldering is ok.

Comment

If you flash the chips with the full CSL binary then you've flashed everything necessary for the DME to work, including the boot sector. Here are the stock CSL full binaries: https://github.com/saildot4k/MSS54-X.../MSS54HP%20CSL

Comment

I have noticed recently a lot of the chips have random data written into them for testing before they leave the seller and this results in them not responding when you solder them onto the board. Once it is zeroed out on a chip reader however the chips come back to life and can be flashed again via bdm on the dme. Just a thought.

I have also seen many that have soldered the chips on wrong way around 🙈 happens more often than you think even if you have done 100s of them. So just check pin1 is ay pin1🤣🤣

Comment

:-D yes I was checking the orientation 100 time also :-D however if I put there old 29f200 with original data it works and I keep the orientation the same.
                          heinzboehmer yes I have data from this link. Maybe I will try the data from folder mss54hp csl - modified data. Chips were empty when I put them into the programmer. Simply I wrote bins and then solder them back. Makes me sick... :X

cant be there a problem with the ecu version? I have hw index 3 and I saw most of the guys have index 4

Comment

So I recently installed my box with my MSS54-hp conversion and I'm having some trouble reading codes and connecting to the DME through OBD. For whatever reason, it works with Martyn's DME utility but not through my OBD scanner or INPA. I BDM'd the software (211325000401-PD11) onto the chips and flashed my HTE tune (also modified with Martyn's binary modification tool) on my bench harness. I did not do anything with winkfp. Car runs really good, I just want to be able to read codes and log from the DME. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by skristedja View Post
                              So I recently installed my box with my MSS54-hp conversion and I'm having some trouble reading codes and connecting to the DME through OBD. For whatever reason, it works with Martyn's DME utility but not through my OBD scanner or INPA. I BDM'd the software (211325000401-PD11) onto the chips and flashed my HTE tune (also modified with Martyn's binary modification tool) on my bench harness. I did not do anything with winkfp. Car runs really good, I just want to be able to read codes and log from the DME. Any ideas?
                              That's covered in this thread

The CSL binaries Paffy has on the MSSFlasher website do not have all the changes necessary to play 100% nice with the non-CSL bootloader. It mostly works, but notably the ability to read error codes is broken Download a corrected program here (https://nam3forum.com/forums/filedata/fetch?id=12984) Flash only the program -

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post
                                I’m not using Paffy or Terra’s bin. This is a full csl bin. No converted bootsector.

edit: it does connect via inpa now. Still not working great with my scanner though. Maybe it’s just the usual csl-obd communication issues?
                                Last edited by skristedja; 05-27-2021, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X