This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

There will still be some spillage though, so be prepared.
    Will do thanks for the heads up!
    2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post
      I'm looking for a oil filter housing gasket DIY. Anybody know of a good one? I've been reading the one by Pelican Parts, which is a good start.

Specifically, I want to know if it's necessary to drain the oil. Trying to avoid that if at all possible.
      Highly recommend the Bavarian Autosport Viton OFHG. I do believe ECS carries it now.

Also saw this post on torquing the housing.

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
      Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
      Evolve Eventuri
      - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post

Highly recommend the Bavarian Autosport Viton OFHG. I do believe ECS carries it now.

Also saw this post on torquing the housing.

This is the exact gasket I purchased from ECS! No brained to go with viton for this. Didn’t even know about it until I saw it referenced in a build journal post about the oil pressure valve.

Excellent point on the torque method. I’ll hand tighten top 4 evenly, then do a Star pattern torque on the top 4 , and finish with the bottom 2.
        2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

VANOS bolts replacement and oil pump disk replacement
          Update 11/28/13:I should have put more emphasis on the step at 2:27. If you want to restore the timing with this method, you have to be very precise when tak...

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
            VANOS bolts replacement and oil pump disk replacement
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
            Just fyi, looks like they did the timing incorrectly. You're supposed to torque the hub bolts with the VANOS fully seated against the head, not with it off. Follow TIS or the Beisan procedure and you'll be good.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Just fyi, looks like they did the timing incorrectly. You're supposed to torque the hub bolts with the VANOS fully seated against the head, not with it off. Follow TIS or the Beisan procedure and you'll be good.
              That's my video. Car's been running fine for 30k miles

If you put it back together the same way you took it off it's perfectly fine. If you're swapping parts and don't have a reference then the Beisan way is the way to go for sure.

Comment

Could we add links to a valve adjustment DIY?

Thanks!

Comment

S54 Vanos Info Thread
                  http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170709/b427cc1ecdc0899673ce51539b3394e1.jpg http://web.archive.org/web/20180214064458im_/http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170709/a40017b090c94ffa891574d94069c3c0.jpg Disclaimer: ( Most of the M3Forum links below do not work anymore ) Please read and completely understand the timing
                  Evolve Eventuri

Comment

Added

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i
                    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Is it just me or does the link for every DIY from “Replacing e46 side view mirror glass” down take you to this specific post??

(Note that this is only in Tapatalk, so I suspect it’s something weird for just me, but pretty odd)

Last edited by karter16; 02-20-2022, 09:33 PM.
                      2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
                      Build Thread:
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

As suggested by Casa de Mesa
                        My guide how to order genuine special tools based on the numbers in TIS.

Hello everyone, Occasionally I order some genuine BMW special tools as described in TIS. I find them to be of far better quality than some aftermarket replicas available, and it makes for easy repairs. At times, I have had issues finding the right part number to order the tools, since BMW decided to obfuscate this with their
                        E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
                        E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
                        E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

BMW S54 WPC Treated Rod Bearing Kit Installation Instructions.
                          http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3...n_-_Turner.pdf

Originally posted by karter16 View Post
                          Is it just me or does the link for every DIY from “Replacing e46 side view mirror glass” down take you to this specific post? (Note that this is only in Tapatalk, so I suspect it’s something weird for just me, but pretty odd)
                          I’m getting the same thing trying several DIY links using the Tapatalk App.

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 07-09-2022, 12:44 PM.
                          Evolve Eventuri

Comment

Great info in here!
                            2005 E46 ///M3 Interlagos Blue/Cinnamon

JRZ - Vorshlag - PFC - Supersprint - Haimus - BBS - Recaro - RKP - DMG - Diffsonline 3 clutch w/ 4.10 Gears - Autosolutions - Karbonius - ​Koyo -

https://www.instagram.com/justanotham4/

Comment

Thank you for this sticky! New to the forum and this saved my hours of searching. Just bought a 206k mile m3 that needs a lot of love 😅

Comment

Working...
                              X