No announcement yet.

Porsche Brembo 996 BBK conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the advice!!!! the thing is that I had sourced the front 135i performance callipers for 700 brand new, so it was difficult to pass on them. The Z4M has the same brake setup as the E46 M3 ZCP so I could of run the 996 callipers up front too. I will post photos as I get them ready for install.

Comment

Does anyone have a suggestion on cap screws (bolts) alternatives that secure the rear calipers to the brackets? I'm looking for ones that won't rust quite as easily.

I did this about 2 years ago (killer brakes!!!) but the black oxide cap screws that came with the Rally Road kit are rusting badly. This car never sees snow and rarely rain, so this is car washes mostly that has caused this. I'm not sure if these are grade 10.9 or 12.9 - this is 4 bolts that I don't want to incorrectly spec a replacement.

These are M12 x 1.75mm x 65mm.

PSA - make sure the rest of the hardware is Porsche. These pad springs are Centric and are clearly not coated. Just bite the bullet and pay the P-car tax:

​​https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/99635195901/
      Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 06-12-2020, 04:54 AM. Reason: Clarified these are rear calipers
      Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
        Does anyone have a suggestion on cap screws (bolts) alternatives that secure the rear calipers to the brackets? I'm looking for ones that won't rust quite as easily.

I did this about 2 years ago (killer brakes!!!) but the black oxide cap screws that came with the Rally Road kit are rusting badly. This car never sees snow and rarely rain, so this is car washes mostly that has caused this. I'm not sure if these are grade 10.9 or 12.9 - this is 4 bolts that I don't want to incorrectly spec a replacement.

PSA - make sure the rest of the hardware is Porsche. These pad springs are Centric and are clearly not coated. Just bite the bullet and pay the P-car tax:

​​https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/99635195901/
        Wait, the rally road kit comes with black oxide screws? That's a terrible design decision, black oxide has next to no corrosion resistance.

Mcmaster has zinc-plated screws of the same spec. However with shipping it's probably cheaper to call local fastener shops like fastenal to see if they have something similar

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post

Wait, the rally road kit comes with black oxide screws? That's a terrible design decision, black oxide has next to no corrosion resistance.

Mcmaster has zinc-plated screws of the same spec. However with shipping it's probably cheaper to call local fastener shops like fastenal to see if they have something similar
          Wow, cant believe a company would actually send out black oxide bolts to be used in BBKs. Check out the EcoGuard line of fastenal bolts. I've used these before with oither stuff and they rock.

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post

Looks like he probably sources them from McMaster. $2 extra per kit to include the Zinc plated ones

I’m gonna order a 10 pack, anyone who wants the other five let me know, will ship them out for a Hamilton

Comment

I just installed some Rally Road brackets and they are definitely not Black Oxide screws. The bolts are zinc plated high grade steel 10.9 so they must of changed them since you installed yours.

I used VHT Black paint and painted all of the pad springs and polished the pins. At $45 per set I will try this first and see how they hold up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAAA5570-41BF-4FD0-AA78-1F682ADB7F10.jpeg
Views:	821
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	33854

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E4864.JPG Views:	0 Size:	69.8 KB ID:	33834
              Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 06-12-2020, 10:44 AM.
              TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
              Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
              Evolve Eventuri
              - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Just took a look at my rally road bolts .. they are indeed the blue tinged zinc ones.

Re: hardware, I bought the Porsche stuff from FCP so I can return it whenever it starts to look ugly

Comment

My dad had his brakes updated a few years back and when we changed them recently, and the pad brackets didn't have rust on them like that at all. He has a 987 but the pad is exactly the same. The brand was Pagid which are phenomenal pads, as well as OE. They survived the Tail of the Dragon for hours of spirited driving. I was genuinely impressed.

Something corrosive must've got on your car at one point which caused them to rust that wasn't washed off in time. Maybe the lack of rain helped it rust because they didn't get washed off. I can call Rally Road monday and verify the bolt they used but that corrosion seems excessive for only a few years. If it was just bolts, fine, but it's also the unrelated bracket. We're here in FL where it rains ALL the time so unless you had some acid rain(it is possible) I don't think this corrosion is the normal standard. Hopefully that'll relieve you some.

Have you used rim cleaner on your rims even once since the brake change?
                  This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                  https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Today I collected my RR kit (brackets, fasteners, and lines) for the Z4M, and the fasteners are zinc plated, 12.9 class.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fasteners.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.6 KB ID:	33978

Click image for larger version  Name:	Brackets+Lines.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	33976
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by maupineda; 06-12-2020, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Possibly changed bolts. One thing I absolutely did not think about is if this set up will work on 18" rims. I 90% it will but can someone measure the distance between their rim and caliper just so I know.... CSL wheels are great and all but I do like the way 18's drive much better.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies re: the black oxide bolts. I had intended to swap them out after the initial install but never got around to it (you know how it goes).

When I did this job, I cheaped out on the pads springs and bleeder valves, having a hard time justifying the Porsche pricing. They all rusted.

I don't know if I got anything corrosive on it. If I did, I would have expected to see rust everywhere else on the car and I don't. It's only on the front and rear brakes. Also, where I was able to reuse some of the Porsche parts (pad springs in the front brakes) there is zero rust. Buy cheap buy twice.

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                        Possibly changed bolts. One thing I absolutely did not think about is if this set up will work on 18" rims. I 90% it will but can someone measure the distance between their rim and caliper just so I know.... CSL wheels are great and all but I do like the way 18's drive much better.
                        I have APEX EC-7 wheels in 18" and there is PLENTY of room with this setup (CSL/Competition rotors front and rear).

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180602_181531_HDR.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	34051
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by i_love_japan View Post

I'm considering to upgrade to Ferodo DS2500 pads (from Textar) as well, but wasn't sure if they'll squeal. How do you find the stopping power and fitment with these pads? Are FRP3051H and FCP1307H the correct part number?
                          They make some noise when coming to a complete stop, but they aren't too noisy. I've only driven ~300 miles on them so far. I have no complaints so far on the pads, but I cannot compare to the textars. Yes, Those are the part numbers I used.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies re: the black oxide bolts. I had intended to swap them out after the initial install but never got around to it (you know how it goes).

When I did this job, I cheaped out on the pads springs and bleeder valves, having a hard time justifying the Porsche pricing. They all rusted.

I don't know if I got anything corrosive on it. If I did, I would have expected to see rust everywhere else on the car and I don't. It's only on the front and rear brakes. Also, where I was able to reuse some of the Porsche parts (pad springs in the front brakes) there is zero rust. Buy cheap buy twice.

I have APEX EC-7 wheels in 18" and there is PLENTY of room with this setup (CSL/Competition rotors front and rear).

Yeah I've learned that the hard way a few times over the years. There are a lot of cheap things you can get away with like a window switch, but metal usually is not the same. My Megan Racing headers are the exception to this rule but I generally try to stick to the best qualityrice ratio.

It's really good to visually see how much room you have in there. I was thinking worst case scenario, I'd be shaving the top of the pin hole down a few mm but not anymore.

Comment

anyone using the front dampers? do you leave them as they are for easier reuse or do you adhere them to the brake pads?

and by the way my rear pads (front porsche) from ate arrived with a pin that i had to remove.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200615_200342.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.0 KB ID:	34796 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200615_193030.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.6 KB ID:	34800
                              Last edited by Zekarus; 06-15-2020, 02:48 PM.
                              2003 AW/BLK 6MT - Instagram

Comment

I didn't reuse the dampers.

Comment

Working...
                                X