No announcement yet.

Porsche Brembo 996 BBK conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see how they'd work (dampen vibrations), if they're not fixed to the pads. The pads are already mostly immobilized by the pins and the spring clip on top. What keeps the pad then from vibrating or moving that little bit that creates noise? I assume it's these dampers stuck to the pad and stuck inside the pistons.

Word of advice- the temptation to adhere these dampers to the pad before install is strong, but it will screw you up unless you guess perfectly. It's best to stick the dampers into the pistons, then peel the backing, and stick the pad to them, as the pad is resting on the pins.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Hi, I just received the new centric pistons for the rebuild of my rear 996 brembos and I wanted to share a few images I took to compare them. I took some measurements and they are pretty close, the new pistons are 0.02mm bigger, I wonder if this is just down to tear and wear. I used centric as I could not find original brembos in the US, plus the centric items are cost-effective. Does anyone have experience with these? I hope they are of good quality. I also used their seals.

BTW; I don't track the car, it is just my weekend toy and I cannot say I drive it aggresively as the public roads here are very busy and there are very few B-roads.

OE (Dark) vs Centric

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pistons1.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	34849

The next two photos show the measurements of the 28mm pistons

OE

Name:	OE-28.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	34847

Centric

Name:	Centric-28.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	34844

These are the 30mm

OE

Name:	OE-30mm.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	34850

Centric

Name:	Centric-30mm.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	34846

and the front 2.7L front pads for the rear 996 Brembo's

Name:	BremboPads.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	34848
      Attached Files

Comment

In my experience, the stoptech (centric owned) seals are slightly looser than OE brembo, so their pistons also being slightly larger should be fine. You're also talking about hundredths of a millimeter.

A trick I tried once was when I had one seal feel too tight, I moved it over to a bore where the fit was a little too loose, then moved that looser seal back over to the first bore where things were too tight. Both then were snug.

I would highly suggest using proper install lube rather than brake fluid - it provides much more lubricity and makes it easier to push the pistons past the new seals. If you bought the new seals off ebay (Ohiomotorsports), then it comes with proper lube.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          I don't see how they'd work (dampen vibrations), if they're not fixed to the pads. The pads are already mostly immobilized by the pins and the spring clip on top. What keeps the pad then from vibrating or moving that little bit that creates noise? I assume it's these dampers stuck to the pad and stuck inside the pistons.

Word of advice- the temptation to adhere these dampers to the pad before install is strong, but it will screw you up unless you guess perfectly. It's best to stick the dampers into the pistons, then peel the backing, and stick the pad to them, as the pad is resting on the pins.
          great advice will do it like you suggest! thanks!

2003 AW/BLK 6MT - Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Zekarus View Post
            anyone using the front dampers? do you leave them as they are for easier reuse or do you adhere them to the brake pads?
            And by the way my rear pads (front Porsche) from ate arrived with a pin that i had to remove.
            I initially installed the fronts without the dampers. You can here the pistons engaging the pads when applying the brakes. I ended up removing the adhesive from the dampers and installing them, it reduced the noise about 50%. My rear ATE pads also came with that pin, remove and install.

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
            Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
            Evolve Eventuri
            - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

I have Textar pads and I had to remove the pins as well. Might need to try removing the adhesive since my Front brakes randomly make loud noises during slow braking if I am not mistaken.
              2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6spd ///M3
              Build///Journal
              IG: Khan_Art_

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                In my experience, the stoptech (centric owned) seals are slightly looser than OE brembo, so their pistons also being slightly larger should be fine. You're also talking about hundredths of a millimeter.

A trick I tried once was when I had one seal feel too tight, I moved it over to a bore where the fit was a little too loose, then moved that looser seal back over to the first bore where things were too tight. Both then were snug.

I would highly suggest using proper install lube rather than brake fluid - it provides much more lubricity and makes it easier to push the pistons past the new seals. If you bought the new seals off ebay (Ohiomotorsports), then it comes with proper lube.
                Hi, I did not source my seals from them but went with the centric kit from FCP Euro. I wonder if they will bring some lube with them. if not, is this something I can source from the typical auto parts stores (Autozone, etc)?

Comment

I used the centric seal kits and several centric pistons when I did my conversion. No issues or problems. As Tyler pointed out, you are talking about a difference of hundredths of a millimeter.

If all else fails you can order the proper lube from https://www.zeckhausen.com/ - it does make assembly much easier.

Jesse
                  Old, not obsolete.

Comment

This project is finally coming together for me, and I am finishing up the paint on 2 remaining calipers. However, my parts ordering debacle is apparently not over. First I received 2 crossover lines that were different part numbers, but the same part. Then, I tore one of the rear dust boots so I ordered a new seal kit for the rear calipers from Amazon. I received it today and only got 1 seal. So for those of you looking to buy parts for this, do not order the seal kits from Amazon. Not really a "caliper kit" as the description suggests.

Name:	20200616_223316.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	35224

'06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
                    '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
                    '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
                    '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

is this the right line? the bmw lines have a nice groove where the end from the car goes in. this line looks like the same that comes from the car. it screws together but i want to get sure before i'm bleeding the car.

Name:	IMG_20200618_202359.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	35813

Comment

I weighted the pistons and there are only 2grams of weight difference, the OE ones are a tad "heavier"

OE

Name:	IMG_E0056.JPG
Views:	568
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	35824

Centric

Name:	IMG_E0057.JPG
Views:	599
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	35823

Comment

Saving unsprung weight!!
                          Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

is this the right line? the bmw lines have a nice groove where the end from the car goes in. this line looks like the same that comes from the car. it screws together but i want to get sure before i'm bleeding the car.

Name:	IMG_20200618_202359.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	35813
                            to answer my own question... yes it's the right line. it fits concave and convex lines. thanks tbonem3 and everyone else for contributing to this thread. i also used xpme46m3's thread that helped me source all parts i needed from rockauto. yes it was cheaper to order them from the US

i had to modify some things. my brackets are from epytec. i had to grind down a bit on the front to fit the brackets and i had to shorten the bolts. on the rear i had to shorten the pins where the pads are sitting. only the two that are on the outside on both calipers. oh and i had one stripped brake disc bolt on the front and i had to redo the brake line on the left rear. other than that, i'm happy that this project is finished. from sourcing calipers to today took a few months. 😅

here are some pictures

Name:	IMG_20200615_201420.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	36172Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200615_201338.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	36173Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200619_204310.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	36175
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looks Great!
                              TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                              Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                              Evolve Eventuri
                              - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

to answer my own question... yes it's the right line. it fits concave and convex lines. thanks tbonem3 and everyone else for contributing to this thread. i also used xpme46m3's thread that helped me source all parts i needed from rockauto. yes it was cheaper to order them from the US

i had to modify some things. my brackets are from epytec. i had to grind down a bit on the front to fit the brackets and i had to shorten the bolts. on the rear i had to shorten the pins where the pads are sitting. only the two that are on the outside on both calipers. oh and i had one stripped brake disc bolt on the front and i had to redo the brake line on the left rear. other than that, i'm happy that this project is finished. from sourcing calipers to today took a few months. 😅

here are some pictures
                                Wow, those look spectacular! Makes me want to get an Alpine White M3. Congrats on the final product! Really looks amazing.
                                Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Working...
                                X