This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

If the car is on a level surface, you can use a straight edge against the face of the wheel and your phone with the Bubble Level app to get a camber measurement. Then set it back roughly where it was using the previous alignment sheet.
    Cool - I shall give this a shot when my new strut bar arrives. appreciate your help Slideways! Is it cool to PM you if I have any other related questions? Thanks again!
    2003.5 BMW M3 Carbon Schwarz Metallic/Cinnamon 6 Speed – HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | AA Headers | AA Section 1 | SS Resonated Section 2 | SS Race Section 3 | TMS V2 CSL Airbox | TMS Street Plates | Ohlin’s R&T Coilovers | Ground Control Front and Rear Sways | Ground Control Adjustable Camber Arms | DMG Autosport Pro46R | FreakyParts BBK Front | Porsche 996 Conversion Rear | CMP Stage 1 + 1.5 Reinforcement Plates | CMP Subframe Bushings | CMP RTAB’s | SGT CSL Bumper | SGT CSL Trunk | Dr VANOS

Comment

That’s clever and good to know.

Comment

Anyone know if a Door panel off a standard Coupe is the same as an M3? I know they will interchange but wondering about the leather, if its the same or not.

My door cards on y beat up 02 have seen better day and I found a good condition set off an standard non-M Coupe. Just wondering if the leather will match up

Comment

Not the same leather.
          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Lee_Enfield View Post
            Anyone know if a Door panel off a standard Coupe is the same as an M3? I know they will interchange but wondering about the leather, if its the same or not.

My door cards on y beat up 02 have seen better day and I found a good condition set off an standard non-M Coupe. Just wondering if the leather will match up
            Realoem.com is good from checking stuff like this. The black leather door panel for the M3 has a different part number versus the non-M - https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...948&series=E46

When you search, click the part number in blue and it will tell you what other models have that same exact part.

All M3s had nappa leather interior. Not sure if it was a rare option on the non-M.

Comment

OK, Ill pass on them. thanks

Comment

Wondering if I should try and mess with these scratches on my oil pan, or if the gasket will handle it. I was very careful handling the pan so I believe it was from the previous owner, and I had no leaks when removed.

What's everyone think:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7545.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	261495

oil level sensor surface

Name:	IMG_7542.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	261496

center cover area

Name:	IMG_7541.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	261497

Comment

The oil pan and level sensor gaskets are likely fine being they are fairly malleable but the filter screen gasket is metal and may not deform and fill any voids. But as you noted if it was fine before it's likely going to be fine as well. IF you are concerned about it though just give it the thinnest smear of RTV or your favorite sealant when going back together.
                  '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                  Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                  Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                    The oil pan and level sensor gaskets are likely fine being they are fairly malleable but the filter screen gasket is metal and may not deform and fill any voids. But as you noted if it was fine before it's likely going to be fine as well. IF you are concerned about it though just give it the thinnest smear of RTV or your favorite sealant when going back together.
                    noted thanks!

Comment

Shifter question: I've owned 3 E46s, but they've all been race cars (a GTS4 M3 and two 5-speed ZF Spec E46s). All of them had CAE chassis-mounted shifters, so that's my baseline (tight and notchy). I've also had a few E36s with stock shifters, and those feel like wet noodles.
                      I won this car on BaT https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-m3-coupe-132/ and just drove it for the first time. It has a Rogue Engineering short shifter, and I figured it would be somewhere in between my two experiences. But I really need to slam it in gear, to the point where I'm afraid I'm being too rough (particularly 3rd gear). Also note that it was my first time in 3 years driving a manual transmission, so yeah, I was probably not as smooth as I should've been. Am I being a girlie-man, or is this typical for this setup? TIA
                      Last edited by Maxxfish; 04-20-2024, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxfish View Post
                        Shifter question: I've owned 3 E46s, but they've all been race cars (a GTS4 M3 and two 5-speed ZF Spec E46s). All of them had CAE chassis-mounted shifters, so that's my baseline (tight and notchy). I've also had a few E36s with stock shifters, and those feel like wet noodles.
                        I won this car on BaT https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-m3-coupe-132/ and just drove it for the first time. It has a Rogue Engineering short shifter, and I figured it would be somewhere in between my two experiences. But I really need to slam it in gear, to the point where I'm afraid I'm being too rough (particularly 3rd gear). Also note that it was my first time in 3 years driving a manual transmission, so yeah, I was probably not as smooth as I should've been. Am I being a girlie-man, or is this typical for this setup? TIA
                        Most short shifters suck. Only consistent exception I’m aware of is Autosolutions, which is always excellent unless poorly specced (all kits are custom).
                        2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                        Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                        Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Do I need to replace the torx bolts and nuts between the headers and exhaust section 1? I put brand new ones on there after doing my RACP, I drove literally like 25 miles or so and the exhaust has to come off again so I can access the driveshaft. Just trying to see if I can save some $$$ on hardware.
                          http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                          '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

No, iconel lasts. Very expensive too.
                            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Thanks, I wasn't sure if those are supposed to be one time use.
                              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                                Thanks, I wasn't sure if those are supposed to be one time use.
                                Pretty sure they are, but people reuse them all the time.

Worst-case scenario, you end up with a microscopic exhaust leak. That's a bridge you can cross if you ever get there. It's not like TTY fasteners in your engine which could blow something up if reused.
                                2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                                Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                                Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Working...
                                X