Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about picking up a set of SSR SP5s. Anyone have any idea what these weigh in 18x9.5 or 18x10? I see them listed on some sites at 29 lbs but that can't be right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	professorsp5_silver_white.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	193798
    2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Anthracite Impuse
    Fabspeed Headers | Euro Sec 1 | OE Sec 2 | Scorpion Sec 3 | Beisan | Mini Battery | Fortune Auto 7k/12k | Hotchkis Front SB | Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 | Yellow Tag Rack

2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Black Nappa Leather
    Karbonius | Supersprint | Cat Cams | Beisan | Fikse Wheels | Mile End Composites | AST 5200 | Hotchkis | Brembo | Recaro | Rouge SMF | RTD | Yellow Tag Rack | HTE Performance

Comment

First dumb question:

Straight to the point: Do smaller inner-diameter springs fit on the lower spring perches of Bilstein B6 struts, or do people with these struts swap out the lower perches when they want custom-sized springs (I believe it is welded on, am I right?) ?? In that case, what perches do ppl use?

A bit of context about question 1: I have Bilstein B6, and I am using them with the stock springs. I'm considering GC hybrid camber plates but they're not compatible with stock springs (because of the stock spring's inner diameter I think). I also wanted to lower the car a little. So, I'm looking for compatible Swift springs. If I change my spring ID, will it sit correctly on the B6's lower spring perches?

Second dumb question:
      How do GC coilover conversion kits (threaded spring perch sleeve) work? Do they sit on top of the factory spring perches or do they replace the factory spring perches?

Also a little rant: GC should get to work and provide some installation instructions... many customers are DIYers and some stuff isn't completely obvious....

Comment

Originally posted by E46m3zcp View Post
        First dumb question:

Straight to the point: Do smaller inner-diameter springs fit on the lower spring perches of Bilstein B6 struts, or do people with these struts swap out the lower perches when they want custom-sized springs (I believe it is welded on, am I right?) ?? In that case, what perches do ppl use?

A bit of context about question 1: I have Bilstein B6, and I am using them with the stock springs. I'm considering GC hybrid camber plates but they're not compatible with stock springs (because of the stock spring's inner diameter I think). I also wanted to lower the car a little. So, I'm looking for compatible Swift springs. If I change my spring ID, will it sit correctly on the B6's lower spring perches?

Second dumb question:
        How do GC coilover conversion kits (threaded spring perch sleeve) work? Do they sit on top of the factory spring perches or do they replace the factory spring perches?

Also a little rant: GC should get to work and provide some installation instructions... many customers are DIYers and some stuff isn't completely obvious....
        1. B6 perches are for stock style springs. I think the B6 perch may be just pressed on, but I don't know. See post Vehicle Discussion here: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

I'd just go with GC Street plates and Eibach springs if I were you. There's a lot of ways to screw up what you are trying to do.

2.See link above.

Agreed.
        2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

K-Dawg thanks !
          The Eibach springs were another option I already am considering.

The "problem" I have is I'm not sure I like GC street plates because caster isn't adjustable and they gave me the impression of being the "show/stance car" alternative from GC. My goal with adjustability is to optimize my grip and tire wear on track and I thought GC or TMS hybrid would be better. But as I already said and you probably know, GC hybrid plates aren't compatible with stock style springs.

In this case I think TMS hybrid plates + Eibach would still work for me though. A possible solution....

EDIT: I read part of the thread you referenced, but I couldn't figure out how Tbonem3 dealt with the spring perch issue. Are the Bilstein perches just pressed-on and it's easy to remove them and press the GC ones on?

Regarding the plates: I have a friend who's selling old TMS street plates, I'm thinking of refurbishing them...
          Last edited by E46m3zcp; 11-27-2022, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Outside of a misfire, old or worn engine mounts will be the cause of vibrations in the cabin.
            So, checked codes with OBD Fusion, and didn't find any errors. I guess this points to worn engine mounts. Not sure if I ever changed mine in the 18 years I have owned the car.

What is the typical lifespan for these mounts?
            2004 Mystic Blue M3 | 6-speed | Coupe
            Karbonius CSL-style airbox | OEM CSL snorkel & flap | Schrick 280 / 272 cams with followers | CSL inconel exhaust valves
            SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers, section-1 with sport cats, and resonated twin-pipe section-2
            ITG CSL Airbox Airfilter| Karbonius E46 microfilter cover​
            Karbonius M3 E46 CSL trunklid | Ohlin's BMS MI30 coilovers

Comment

Originally posted by HanSooloo View Post

So, checked codes with OBD Fusion, and didn't find any errors. I guess this points to worn engine mounts. Not sure if I ever changed mine in the 18 years I have owned the car.

What is the typical lifespan for these mounts?
              Not that long, lol. Typically, they go 7-10 years even if the car has not been driven much.

Comment

Originally posted by E46m3zcp View Post
                K-Dawg I read part of the thread you referenced, but I couldn't figure out how Tbonem3 dealt with the spring perch issue. Are the Bilstein perches just pressed-on and it's easy to remove them and press the GC ones on?

Regarding the plates: I have a friend who's selling old TMS street plates, I'm thinking of refurbishing them...
                Billy, koni & sachs factory replacement (and original struts) all have bottom perches that simple sit on the damper with a friction fit. Just turn the damper upside down and knock them off with a rubber/lead mallet.
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I currently have my 6MT out of the car because I'm rebuilding the engine. And I'm trying to solve a slight annoyance with shifting. Haven't driven the car since July so my memory may not be great, but I remember that pushing the shifter into 1st or 3rd never felt quite right. Almost felt clunky trying to get it into gear even with clutched in and engine off. Looking at the compression springs diagram, i honestly have no clue how these things work.

I assume since I have no trouble finding the actual gates, I have no reason replacing #1-6 right?

I took out the other springs but none of them were broken so it's not clear what could be causing the wierd shifting feel.

In short which parts from the attached diagram are worth replacing with the transmission out of the car?
                  I'm thinking of getting the kit for 17 aswell as 8 and 9
                  Or do i get everything and eat ramen until my FAFSA comes through lol.

EDIT: I decided to buy everything except the locking device 16. Boutta bust my ass at work for the next month as soon as winter break starts.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by S54.sueño; 12-02-2022, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Do I need a camshaft alignment tool to realign the cams if I remove/rebuild the VANOS and replace the disc/hub?

Comment

Originally posted by discoelk View Post
                      Do I need a camshaft alignment tool to realign the cams if I remove/rebuild the VANOS and replace the disc/hub?
                      No for just the oil pump disc and yes for the exhaust hub.

Comment

I am putting the front of the car back together and there is an electrical connector I cannot seem to find a home for. Anyone know where this thing plugs into?

Passenger side. Branches off the harness that attaches to the windshield washer tank. Just below headlamp.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4208.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.8 KB ID:	195775

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4209.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.0 KB ID:	195776

TIA

D-O
                        Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
                          I am putting the front of the car back together and there is an electrical connector I cannot seem to find a home for. Anyone know where this thing plugs into?

Passenger side. Branches off the harness that attaches to the windshield washer tank. Just below headlamp.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4208.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.8 KB ID:	195775

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4209.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.0 KB ID:	195776

TIA

D-O
                          Secondary air pump or headlight ballast connector possibly?
                          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                          Instagram

Comment

Possibly fog light connector?

Comment

Many thanks. I have halogen headlamps, so no ballast, and the secondary air pump has been connected. I am missing something and it has me stumped.

I have been through the Bentley manual, but none of the schematics are shown in reference to each other. Anyone know where I can find a schematic of all the wiring on the front of the car?
                              Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Fog light, corner light, and headlamp connectors are accounted for.
                                Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Working...
                                X