Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this enough spring perch to tire / wheel clearance? Seems to drive around fine on the street but would rather not find out the hard way that it’s too little on track. 2.5” spring conversion + 18x9.5et35 wheels with no spacers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2B03C8F3-BAD9-4237-BDE7-DEDF945D9F46.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	166295

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lvm3sm46 View Post
      Obioban so the metal one that BMW put on the vehicles should be changed to plastic?
      Isn't the metal one a structural brace, tied into both the unibody and the subframe?
      2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
      Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
      Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

IamFODI yes you are right

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
          Is this enough spring perch to tire / wheel clearance? Seems to drive around fine on the street but would rather not find out the hard way that it’s too little on track. 2.5” spring conversion + 18x9.5et35 wheels with no spacers.
          Looks like plenty of clearance to me. I wish I had that much lol.
          "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
          ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post

Looks like plenty of clearance to me. I wish I had that much lol.
            Thought so as well but I swear I’ve read on here others need to keep the spring perch above the tire to avoid contact with very similar suspension and wheel setups. Wonder what the difference is ..

Comment

Thought so as well but I swear I’ve read on here others need to keep the spring perch above the tire to avoid contact with very similar suspension and wheel setups. Wonder what the difference is ..
              maybe it's a matter of preference? Having the spring perch above the tire would give the most clearance but result in using short springs.
              "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
              ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Originally posted by lvm3sm46 View Post
                IamFODI yes you are right
                So, different from what you guys were talking about, no?

Obioban’s point was that a skidplate shouldn’t be metal unless it’s attached to the frame/body and thick. The stock metal piece isn’t a skidplate, and it is attached to the body unlike the stock skidplate or the aftermarket options, so I don’t think that’s a good point of comparison.

Does that make sense?
                2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
                  So, different from what you guys were talking about, no?

Obioban’s point was that a skidplate shouldn’t be metal unless it’s attached to the frame/body and thick. The stock metal piece isn’t a skidplate, and it is attached to the body unlike the stock skidplate or the aftermarket options, so I don’t think that’s a good point of comparison.

Does that make sense?
                  Yes thanks for clarifying

Comment

Yeah, the thrust plate is a chonker-- if it moves from an impact, you have bigger issues.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i
                    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2B03C8F3-BAD9-4237-BDE7-DEDF945D9F46.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	166295

So long as you can fit a piece of paper between them, you're good to go.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

So long as you can fit a piece of paper between them, you're good to go.
                        I’d probably want a bit more clearance than that, your tire is gonna deform by at least a few mm in cornering. But the pic looks fine.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleSidedTape View Post

I’d probably want a bit more clearance than that, your tire is gonna deform by at least a few mm in cornering. But the pic looks fine.
                          Eh, not much deformation happening up by the shock.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Is it worth installing this aftermarket header?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Yes because it's super cheap and will make more power than stock catted headers

No because it's cheap junk and will barely make more power for the amount of effort (possible headache from fitment issues) or $ spent on installing. Should wait till you get euros or supersprint imo.
                              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of hardware needed when doing a full Supersprint exhaust system? I've made a parts list, and plan to also do the oxygen sensors and EGT at the same time (original to the car, 81k miles). I've seen the header kits, and I've pieced together what I think is an adequate list using RealOEM--just want to make sure the stock hardware works on the SS system, and not replace hardware that can be re-used. For example, I'm not sure that the manifold studs all need to be replaced--seems some guys re-use them with the SS headers. Also, some say to buy new torx bolts, others re-use due to price.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X