Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't speak for the Pro's and Con's between Dr. Vanos & Beisan - but I just did full Vanos lockdown on my car with Beisan & was pretty straightforward job if you've got decent mechanical/DIY skills. Very good set of instructions on Beisan website.

I did their solenoid pack, seals, oil pump disk, anti-rattle kit & upper chain guide. While I was there I also did valve adjustment, spark plugs, cam bolts and valve cover gasket.

What you need for tools for above over the ususal: Beisan rattle kit tools, picks, 32mm deep socket, Vanos timing kit (I bought schwaben from TMS), crush washers for the oil supply to valve cover, cam chain tensioner and cam chain pivot. For valve shims I bought the Weisco shim kit, the plastic tool with magnet to remove the shims and a set of angled feeler gages of the right size. The Beisan DIY instructions provides a full list of what you need (for Vanos work).

I was a bit intimidated going in, but found it was all pretty straight forward, just take your time and be methodical.

I watched the Shop Life TV episodes a few times and that made it go much smoother for me.
    '01 M3, JB/IR, SS, TCK DA, Apex, TMS CSL, HTE, 4:10 gears - original owner
    '00 slicktop Touring converting to full M3 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by racee78 View Post
      I need to do my vanos on the car I just bought, all kinds of codes. I know there is a price difference between the Beisan and the Dr Vanos rebuilt unit, but what is the difference in what they come with and what’s the benefit of either? I plan on keeping the car for a while so want to do what’s right and the best for the cars longevity. Also, what else will I need to get for this job?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170709/b427cc1ecdc0899673ce51539b3394e1.jpg http://web.archive.org/web/20180214064458im_/http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170709/a40017b090c94ffa891574d94069c3c0.jpg Disclaimer: ( Most of the M3Forum links below do not work anymore ) Please read and completely understand the timing

Read through this thread, not sure if it goes into detail of Beisan vs. Dr. VANOS, one benefit of Dr. VANOS is if you want to do the "anti-rattle" deal you can simply buy the spline with the anti-rattle washers already installed. But Beisan provides the tool to do the same job, I found it a bit intimidating at first but it's not too bad.

Beisan is the standard, I guess I would look no further unless you want the anti-rattle kit for the splines pre-installed.

Either direction you go I would highly suggest you keep your original pump disc and have it machined as opposed to buying an aftermarket or a disc from another vehicle.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

Do the little O-rings on the injectors and fuel/air rail need to be replaced after full disassembly?

They seem pretty high quality and mine appear to be in perfect shape. I bought new ones but thinking of a near future job of getting the injectors cleaned (not doing it now) and wondering if each time these are disturbed, do they need to be replaced?
        Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
          Do the little O-rings on the injectors and fuel/air rail need to be replaced after full disassembly?

They seem pretty high quality and mine appear to be in perfect shape. I bought new ones but thinking of a near future job of getting the injectors cleaned (not doing it now) and wondering if each time these are disturbed, do they need to be replaced?
          I would leave them if they look fine. When I’ve gotten injectors cleaned that has included new o-rings.

Comment

Is there a part number for a coupe sunshade? I have one that doesn’t fit so well and apparently it’s for a sedan.

Comment

DoubleSidedTape who do you recommend for injector cleaning/servicing?

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleSidedTape View Post

I would leave them if they look fine. When I’ve gotten injectors cleaned that has included new o-rings.
                Gracias!
                Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by lvm3sm46 View Post
                  who do you recommend for injector cleaning/servicing?
                  RC Fuel Injection is pretty popular. I don't know if there are any closer to the East Coast.
                  "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                  ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Originally posted by racee78 View Post
                    Is there a part number for a coupe sunshade? I have one that doesn’t fit so well and apparently it’s for a sedan.

Do you guys have any recommendations for sunshades? I prefer the folding style (like the OE ones made by Covercraft) over the roll up style typically. I tried to order 82111470411 but it doesn’t fit a coupe it seems. Turner says it fits the M3 but FCP and RealOEM say sedan E46 only and don’t list one for coupes. Oh well...
                    2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Is there any real point to a metal skid plate for a dual use street/track car? I've always thought of these as rally items.

I'm curious if there is any upshot I'm not thinking of when upgrading from OEM plastic to metal?

Example: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-4...um-skid-plate/
                      2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
                      ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

That turner one is garbage. But one like this looks like it protects more
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=162773.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	166242
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lvm3sm46 View Post
                          That turner one is garbage. But one like this looks like it protects more
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=162773.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	166242
                          Cool, good looking out.

So is it just more protection from road debris? Seems unnecessary unless you hit something massive 🤷‍♂️
                          2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
                          ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post

Cool, good looking out.

So is it just more protection from road debris? Seems unnecessary unless you hit something massive 🤷‍♂️
                            IMO it’s a protection downgrade. Plastic you hit something and the panel breaks. Metal you hit something and the panels twists around and fucks up your car.

Unless it’s a frame mounted, thick skid plate, ala jeeps, I’d stick to plastic.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Obioban so the metal one that BMW put on the vehicles should be changed to plastic? I rather have a smooth metal panel underneath than the plastic hump that is OE but hey that why we have choices, to each their own

Comment

Stock plastic one is also aerofoil shaped. I have no empirical evidence for this, but I've always assumed it creates downforce at speed.
                                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X