This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Yes, the top bolts are a tight squeeze but a socket cap from harbor freight makes it easier.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piec...aps-67011.html

I have the CMP S.F bushings and those make even less space but it is still possible, just know you won't be able to accurately torque the top most bolts very easily.
    Knocked this out this morning. I have PBM subframe risers("bushings ") and was able to get the top two bolts out using a breaker bar on one side and a box end wrench on the other. I have the socket adapters that you mentioned but I couldn't fit them in there. IDK if you could even do it with a poly front bushing but the stock front allows the diff to move around a good bit.

Thanks for the response!
    Last edited by discoelk; 09-22-2023, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

He mentioned the plenum side which has the single-use ear clamp style hose clamps. They can be bent back and reused, but it takes some effort. The throttle body side are the reusable ones.

simonnim The worm style clamps will work, but you have to be careful how much you tighten the clamps. Either use a screw driver by feel or the torque limiting extension that stops at 1 NM of torque. Gemi/Norma (OEM for BMW) makes a 60-80mm clamp that fits this application - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/hos...emi-hc-60-80-9

The S65 uses worm clamps on the airbox side.
      Thanks! this is perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by discoelk View Post

Knocked this out this morning. I have PBM subframe risers("bushings ") and was able to get the top two bolts out using a breaker bar on one side and a box end wrench on the other. I have the socket adapters that you mentioned but I couldn't fit them in there. IDK if you could even do it with a poly front bushing but the stock front allows the diff to move around a good bit.

Thanks for the response!
        Same, I did this yesterday and was unable to fit a socket up there. Maybe a stubby one would work, but I didn't bother trying. Top two bolts were relatively easy to get off with a wrench.

All in all, much simpler to do than expected.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Same, I did this yesterday and was unable to fit a socket up there. Maybe a stubby one would work, but I didn't bother trying. Top two bolts were relatively easy to get off with a wrench.

All in all, much simpler to do than expected.
          What size is the socket? What would be the ideal socket length that would fit?
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

What size is the socket? What would be the ideal socket length that would fit?
            It's a 16mm and I didn't measure, but around 30mm?
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

It's a 16mm and I didn't measure, but around 30mm?
              So ideally under 30mm, 3/8 or 1/2" drive?

Which bolts again? https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=33_1076
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

So ideally under 30mm, 3/8 or 1/2" drive?
                Whichever, you're probably not getting a ratchet on it anyway

The top two bolts that hold the diff cover to the diff case. Top two of the #3s: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=33_1066

Comment

My bumper is missing some fasteners...Does anyone know what they are?

Comment

Originally posted by simonnim View Post
                    My bumper is missing some fasteners...Does anyone know what they are?
                    Any of these?

Also a question I need answered, will this euro bumper fit my 06/2004 car? Trying get it ordered ASAP an want to double check its for my car which appears to have Kevlar carriers.

2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                    Instagram

Comment

Definitely a a dumb question, and I think I know the answer, but I figured I'd throw it out there. I installed front aero in the off-season. My low profile jack cannot reach the hockey puck jack point at the front of the car. The typical process is wheel>wood>wheel>wood>front jacking point (hockey puck) to lift the front of the vehicle. Here is where this gets dumb, should I just get a thicker piece of wood for the initial wheel lift to create more clearance for the jack? Seems pretty simple there right? In the alternative, let's say the puck is not accessible (I honestly do not remember after installing the splitter) how do I get the car on jack stands safely (other good jack points etc. on the car?) if I cannot reach it. I've put this car on jack stands hundreds of times. Yes this is a dumb question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                      [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Cut yourself some 2x10s and pull the front of the car up on them. This will give you enough room for your floor jack to reach the “hocky puck”.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BMWE46M3 View Post
                          Cut yourself some 2x10s and pull the front of the car up on them. This will give you enough room for your floor jack to reach the “hocky puck”.
                          Thanks man. I guess I just needed someone else to say it. I can adjust the height of the wooden blocks as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                          [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

I use jack A on the side jacking point and raise the car enough to get jack B on the center hockey puck.

Comment

Jack from the side and put tires on blocks, then jack from the front.

Lower profile jack, QuickJacks, low profile ramps?
                              2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Can someone confirm the thread pitch of the m7 cylinder head studs?

Comment

Working...
                                X