Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont want to give away core4's documentation freely but 100ftlbs, even on thread in studs, is fine. +1 if you put antisieze on the conical seat of the lug nuts

Comment

My replacement side marker turn signals (Magnetti Marelli) are now showing evidence of moisture intrusion, something my original parts never did but I replaced the originals due to yellowing of the lenses a few years back. And, I need to replace the front corner turn signal assemblies due to yellowing. I"m tempted to forgo the Magnetti brand, and go straight Genuine and just pay the price but curious what others have done here. Genuine, or Magnetti? My original front corner lamps say "BOSCH" and my original side flashers don't say who made them, as far as I can tell. I don't want to buy stuff twice, and it looks like that's the case with these side turns.

Comment

welp, the AC went out during my weekly drive. Had AC for the first 20 minutes and it quit half way through.

I've checked the AC fuses (28, 62, 63) and they're good. AC clutch engages and stays engaged until I turn off the AC button.

Any thing else I should look at?
        "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
        ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
          My replacement side marker turn signals (Magnetti Marelli) are now showing evidence of moisture intrusion, something my original parts never did but I replaced the originals due to yellowing of the lenses a few years back. And, I need to replace the front corner turn signal assemblies due to yellowing. I"m tempted to forgo the Magnetti brand, and go straight Genuine and just pay the price but curious what others have done here. Genuine, or Magnetti? My original front corner lamps say "BOSCH" and my original side flashers don't say who made them, as far as I can tell. I don't want to buy stuff twice, and it looks like that's the case with these side turns.
          It looks like all the new ones, genuine or Magnetti, are made by AL Automotive and made in Czech Republic. You can try to run a bead of sealant around the backside where the lens meets the body of the corner light. That's usually where the water gets in. It would be a shame to throw those out since they are brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

It looks like all the new ones, genuine or Magnetti, are made by AL Automotive and made in Czech Republic. You can try to run a bead of sealant around the backside where the lens meets the body of the corner light. That's usually where the water gets in. It would be a shame to throw those out since they are brand new.
            Good idea, I can try that. So, I assume you would suggest just go Magnetti on the corners, since it seems they may be making the Genuine parts now?

Comment

Good idea, I can try that. So, I assume you would suggest just go Magnetti on the corners, since it seems they may be making the Genuine parts now?
              On ECS's site, you can see pictures for both and the identification stickers are the same, just one with the BMW logo and one without.

Comment

Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post
                welp, the AC went out during my weekly drive. Had AC for the first 20 minutes and it quit half way through.

I've checked the AC fuses (28, 62, 63) and they're good. AC clutch engages and stays engaged until I turn off the AC button.

Any thing else I should look at?
                This is going to sound dumb but have you checked that you actually have refrigerant in the system? It sounds like it's running, it's just not cooling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Darbshaw View Post

This is going to sound dumb but have you checked that you actually have refrigerant in the system? It sounds like it's running, it's just not cooling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Clutch won't engage if there's no pressure in system. If all the gas has leaked it won't engage.

Comment

Quick sanity check: From what I can tell (visually), the Left/Right inner tie rods are the same; only the outers are different (LH/RH). Am I correct?

Comment

Quick sanity check: From what I can tell (visually), the Left/Right inner tie rods are the same; only the outers are different (LH/RH). Am I correct?
                      Correct

Comment

What is the purpose of this ring on the rear shocks of the Ohlins Road and Track?

I'm trying to figure out a clunk on bumps - a mechanic seems to have messed with this ring and I'm questioning if the origin of the problem could have anything to do with it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1045107_x800-167218094.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.9 KB ID:	277466

All I can find in the Ohlins manual is that it's a lock ring to adjust the length, but there isn't much being said about it and how to use it properly:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	27.6 KB ID:	277468​​Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	61
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	277469
                        Last edited by E46m3zcp; 09-01-2024, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by E46m3zcp View Post
                          What is the purpose of this ring on the rear shocks of the Ohlins Road and Track?

I'm trying to figure out a clunk on bumps - a mechanic seems to have messed with this ring and I'm questioning if the origin of the problem could have anything to do with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1045107_x800-167218094.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	277466
                          That ring allows you to unlock the lower portion (gold) and adjust the length of the damper.

For the Ohlins, make sure the orientation of the rear spring has the lettering facing out of the wheel well.

Comment

Ok! The mechanic I brought it to extended it well beyond (about 2cm) the caution mark. I suspect this is the cause of the noise. I found from the Ohlins manual that "The bracket shall not be adjusted below the caution line as it may come loose or break." I am currently thinking about what that means. Is "the bracket" the golden thing? So if mine were loose or broken it would be obvious? Or should I suspect something internal is broken?

Comment

I'm chasing down a "pulls to the right issue". I had an alignment done last year, it's not the slant of the road, and I just changed my FCABs (not the entire control arm -- yet). I still have the issue, especially under harder braking. So next up on the suspect list is a sticky caliper. The right front wheel seems a lot hotter and smellier after short rides. I just changed the rotors and pads like 50-100 miles ago. I got the fcpeuro kit of zimmerman rotors and Textra OE pads and did all four corners. I'm picking up the rebuilt (and powder coated!) calipers this week and in prep I got the car in the air and took everything apart. Does this brake pad wear look normal? Like I said, probably only 50-100 miles on these pads, so not sure if they still need to break in or whatever - but it seemed odd to me and this is the first brake job on my m3. Looks like some of the ends are "chewed up". Attached are pictures of all four corners. Is this normal? Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-02 3.19.02 PM.png
Views:	71
Size:	792.6 KB
ID:	277504 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-02 3.19.05 PM.png
Views:	70
Size:	812.6 KB
ID:	277505 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-02 3.18.54 PM.png
Views:	69
Size:	764.6 KB
ID:	277506 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-02 3.19.09 PM.png
Views:	71
Size:	862.6 KB
ID:	277509

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bagger View Post
                                So next up on the suspect list is a sticky caliper. The right front wheel seems a lot hotter and smellier after short rides.
                                Yep, def. sounds like a stuck caliper.

Originally posted by bagger View Post
                                Like I said, probably only 50-100 miles on these pads, so not sure if they still need to break in or whatever
                                AFAIK, break-in is about pad material getting onto the rotor, not the pad material itself breaking in.

The pics on the right are from the suspect caliper, right? They look a bit glazed. Could just be the lighting.
                                2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                                Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                                Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Working...
                                X