This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigRussia View Post

Awesome stuff, yeah that was the one thing I was looking at in pics to compare the two caliper types, the thinner looking seal on the ZCP/Z4M's bigger diameter 46mm piston. The seal looks thinner and closer to the caliper housing bore compared to the double lip look of the standard 42mm pistons, so thanks for confirming that! I am actually looking to rebuild a spare reman front brake caliper with new ATE seals as a project, so I will def hit you up if I run into any issues with that.

I'm convinced these eBay rear brakes I received are from a standard E46 M3 and a previous owner of them just did a good gloss black paint job. Dunno how the seller mixed them up as being E86 Z4M ones, but they seem to be a big junkyard business account so happens I guess. (pics attached from the ebay listing)

Click image for larger version Name:	s-l1600 ebay2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.9 KB ID:	203072 Click image for larger version Name:	s-l1600 ebay3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.6 KB ID:	203073
    Following up on this, as I got another pair of Z4M rear brakes after returning that first pair from eBay.. and I'm wondering if there is misinformation or am I a dummy who isn't measuring the piston size correctly? Am i wrong to measure the piston face and the 4mm increase in piston size from 42mm to 46mm is behind the dust seals?
    This new pair I bought on Zpost forum from a part out sale thread of a 2006 Z4M, so theres no doubt they're truly Z4M rear brakes, they have the bigger wrap over dust seals too along w being powdercoated black.. but the pistons again measure 42mm instead of 46mm at the face

Click image for larger version

Name:	DC6E8A2F-BFF6-476D-A1AA-78B36657E4DB.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	205933 Click image for larger version

Name:	980ACAD2-AE7A-462F-B4F9-225D6031BF1B.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	205932 Click image for larger version

Name:	E303A7A7-919E-4786-AE1A-F8020D0DD6E0.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	205930 Click image for larger version

Name:	CB819437-2C07-478C-9DF5-3E45C1E1E734.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	205931
    2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
    Instagram
    Youtube

Comment

Following up on this, as I got another pair of Z4M rear brakes after returning that first pair from eBay.. and I'm wondering if there is misinformation or am I a dummy who isn't measuring the piston size correctly? Am i wrong to measure the piston face and the 4mm increase in piston size from 42mm to 46mm is behind the dust seals?
      This new pair I bought on Zpost forum from a part out sale thread of a 2006 Z4M, so theres no doubt they're truly Z4M rear brakes, they have the bigger wrap over dust seals too along w being powdercoated black.. but the pistons again measure 42mm instead of 46mm at the face

Click image for larger version  Name:	DC6E8A2F-BFF6-476D-A1AA-78B36657E4DB.jpg Views:	21 Size:	147.3 KB ID:	205933 Click image for larger version  Name:	980ACAD2-AE7A-462F-B4F9-225D6031BF1B.jpg Views:	21 Size:	146.2 KB ID:	205932 Click image for larger version  Name:	E303A7A7-919E-4786-AE1A-F8020D0DD6E0.jpg Views:	23 Size:	140.6 KB ID:	205930 Click image for larger version  Name:	CB819437-2C07-478C-9DF5-3E45C1E1E734.jpg Views:	21 Size:	134.9 KB ID:	205931

EDIT: I pulled some photos of my pistons when I cleaned them as part of my rebuild, and the piston is larger further back than where you are measuring. Mine too measure 42mm at the face and the old seals I pulled measure on the order of 46mm (hard to get them perfectly round to measure).

Click image for larger version  Name:	ZCP_Piston.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	206038
      Click image for larger version  Name:	ZCP_Seal.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	206039 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pistons_4.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	206043
      Last edited by PSUEng; 02-18-2023, 02:53 PM.

Comment

If I want to delete the multi function steering wheel buttons on the upper steering wheel trim, can I simply swap in this blank upper steering wheel trim?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...p/61318383366/
        Last edited by Avedis; 02-18-2023, 06:01 PM.

Comment

You need to use a pair of calipers and measure the diameter of the actual piston body.
          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

EDIT: I pulled some photos of my pistons when I cleaned them as part of my rebuild, and the piston is larger further back than where you are measuring. Mine too measure 42mm at the face and the old seals I pulled measure on the order of 46mm (hard to get them perfectly round to measure).
            Great, thanks again for confirming and the info! Now I can go ahead and clean these up without worrying I'm wasting my time cleaning the wrong brakes again haha. I guess it makes sense they use the same piston face as the standard non-ZCP brakes since they both use the same brake pads (good on BMW to not complicate things there).
            Last edited by BigRussia; 02-20-2023, 06:20 AM.
            2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
            Instagram
            Youtube

Comment

Is there something I am missing I'm regards to a CSL style (Karbonius for example) center console installation?

I seem to have read something recently about its not just a simple swap, there are other parts or something one must get to properly use the CSL console.
              2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
              Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
              Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
              RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
              Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                Is there something I am missing I'm regards to a CSL style (Karbonius for example) center console installation?

I seem to have read something recently about its not just a simple swap, there are other parts or something one must get to properly use the CSL console.
                mirror adjustor relocation to the center console?
                "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post

mirror adjustor relocation to the center console?
                  Ok, didn't know about that!
                  2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                  Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                  Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                  RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                  Instagram

Comment

need to source the two bolts for the timing cover pointer/guide...halp

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post
                      need to source the two bolts for the timing cover pointer/guide...halp
                      07119904527: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_2989

They're grade 8.8 M6x20 with a washer if you'd rather just run down to the hardware store.
                      Last edited by heinzboehmer; 03-03-2023, 09:13 AM.
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Need some assistance confirming P/N for the clip in the engine bay holding the battery cable in place (see photo). I *think* it's 61138350836 but can't seem to positively nail this one down using RealOEM. BTW--should we have a thread dedicated to "I can't find P/N"? Might be useful ? Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery_Cable_Clip.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	208276

Comment

Yeah 61138350836: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ip-61138350836
                          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Man I love this thread....here goes another...

Why is my clutch pedal squeaking? And, what to do about it? I'm sure my trusty tube of Wurth True Glide can fix whatever is causing this...

Comment

Bushings?
                              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

What is the standard break in procedure with installing new cams (schrick 280/72) on existing followers? Is there an observed general distance to be travelled and what rpm should nit generally be gone over?
                                2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT
                                M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/CatCams 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Working...
                                X