No announcement yet.

M3 Weight Data Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weighed the roof 3 times with just the roof and got anywhere from 21.8 to 22.8 lbs. Doing the "weigh yourself only then hold the roof and weigh yourself + roof" method, it was 22.5 lbs. So call it about 6 different times weighing it, the roof alone without the roof bow is 22.5 lbs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220617_172624-01.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	172542
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220617_172611-01.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	172543
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Wow, that's surprising. Thought it would weigh less. Karb says their roof is 3.3 kg (7.3 lbs), so 15 lbs less just from swapping out the roof panel, not to mention all the other stuff.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
        Wow, that's surprising. Thought it would weigh less. Karb says their roof is 3.3 kg (7.3 lbs), so 15 lbs less just from swapping out the roof panel, not to mention all the other stuff.
        Yep. So that's why I was thinking it's closer to Lang's estimate.

With the Slon carbon roof bow, gains are even more.

I have a bunch of parts I took off the car that aren't going back on. I'll x-ref the list you have above, weigh them (in particular if they are missing from your list) and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

Yep. So that's why I was thinking it's closer to Lang's estimate.

With the Slon carbon roof bow, gains are even more.

I have a bunch of parts I took off the car that aren't going back on. I'll x-ref the list you have above, weigh them (in particular if they are missing from your list) and report back.
          Awesome. I actually have a Slon roof bow just sitting around waiting for the eventually carbon roof install. I can weigh it and report back.

Anyone have an OEM one to weigh it? RealOEM says 1.243 kg (2.74 lbs), but I don't really trust it for weights. Although I can't imagine it will be much heavier than that.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Awesome. I actually have a Slon roof bow just sitting around waiting for the eventually carbon roof install. I can weigh it and report back.

Anyone have an OEM one to weigh it? RealOEM says 1.243 kg (2.74 lbs), but I don't really trust it for weights. Although I can't imagine it will be much heavier than that.
            That sounds like an overestimate, if anything— stock now is pretty freaking light.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Slon one weighed 443g (0.977 lbs).

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
              That sounds like an overestimate, if anything— stock now is pretty freaking light.
              Yeah, I would think the stock one is pretty light too. Considering selling the Slon one because I'm not sure 2 lbs is worth the extra money. Think I'd probably need to see someone weigh the stock one before making a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Slon one weighed 443g (0.977 lbs).

Yeah, I would think the stock one is pretty light too. Considering selling the Slon one because I'm not sure 2 lbs is worth the extra money. Think I'd probably need to see someone weigh the stock one before making a decision.
                When I was going back and forth with Slon on PM asking him lots of questions about their roof, the weaves available, etc., here is what he said about hew weight difference of their carbon roof bow:

"...if I'm correct 1.7kg on steel vs 450g on carbon fiber."

So if that figure is accurate (which, it looks like his quote on their own part is slightly more than what actual turned out to be) and for all the Imperialists out there, 3.74 pounds vs. 0.99 pounds. Or, a 2.75 lbs weight reduction.

I have not weighed the steel part (never bought it) but could see it weighing that much. Most of the weight in the roof panel I measured above is from the additional stamped steel bracing on the underside, rather than from the actual roof skin that is welded to that bracing. That said, would love it if someone who had the BMW roof bow not-yet-installed could confirm.

Regardless, IMHO, worth it! You already have the part, I see no downsides here.

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                  Regardless, IMHO, worth it! You already have the part, I see no downsides here.
                  That is true. Well fortunately I have some time to decide. Still need to do the MK60 swap before even planning the roof.

Comment

Working...
                  X