What did you do for your M3 today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyM340i View Post

Nice! I upgraded the amp a few months also to a Match amp and previous owner did the BavSound upgrade already. Was looking to maybe upgrade the speakers. Might try Morel Nano Carbon slim speakers and try to Dynamat the doors as good as I can.
    The Dynamat was huge -- doors and floors. I had way too much sound coming through the firewall and floorboards at high RPM (as much as I love the engine sound). Cutting that helped the stereo a ton.

I think the head unit was the limiter on the BavSound, actually. Going from stock to Dynavin woke the whole thing up TBH. The factory head unit sends the sounds the factory speakers could handle, and while I haven't seen specs, I doubt it was 20Hz-20KHz. Today's head units are also cleaner. I'd chase head unit before speakers. In fact, I doubt the factory head unit can do the Morel's justice.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

The Dynamat was huge -- doors and floors. I had way too much sound coming through the firewall and floorboards at high RPM (as much as I love the engine sound). Cutting that helped the stereo a ton.

I think the head unit was the limiter on the BavSound, actually. Going from stock to Dynavin woke the whole thing up TBH. The factory head unit sends the sounds the factory speakers could handle, and while I haven't seen specs, I doubt it was 20Hz-20KHz. Today's head units are also cleaner. I'd chase head unit before speakers. In fact, I doubt the factory head unit can do the Morel's justice.

maw
      I already upgraded the head unit to the new Sony Xav-AX6000. Made a huge difference and that was coming from an older Dynavin and new Xtrons unit.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GreyM340i View Post
        I already upgraded the head unit to the new Sony Xav-AX6000. Made a huge difference and that was coming from an older Dynavin and new Xtrons unit.
        Nice! LMK how you like the Morels. I've been looking at them, the Kicker KSC line and the Infinity Reference slim, all of which I've used before and I like for under 100W in a cabin. But then again I'm surprised you're upgrading from the BavSounds unless you're pushing weight.

maw

EDIT... I gotta say, that look is actually growing on me. If I didn't own the car I wouldn't know it wasn't stock. And 15 years in, the case for an updated look is already made.
        Last edited by maw1124; 02-24-2023, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Been hacking away on the mod pile lately.

Rogue rasp pipe going on. Exhaust will be stock us headers/rogue section 1/stock 2/ billy boat section 3. Looking forward to hearing sound this week when I button up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0762.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	207365

Installed this CAI. I'm liking the carbon weave on it. Bonus points to anyone knows brand of this discontinued system.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0774.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.3 KB ID:	207363

And test fitted the new wheels... pretty stocked on these. Custom 3 piece BBS LM 18". Tires mounted on tuesday.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0764.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.2 KB ID:	207364

Comment

B-line?
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
              B-line?
              Yes sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh6390 View Post

Yes sir.
                Why no catless headers? Best mod you can do, and makes entire exh only sound better (seems like you care about sound with the other sect 1 & 3 mods). TN can't be too strict on emissions right?

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Why no catless headers? Best mod you can do, and makes entire exh only sound better (seems like you care about sound with the other sect 1 & 3 mods). TN can't be too strict on emissions right?
                  Some counties in TN have annual emission testing, and the one I live in did until they did away with requirement I think two years ago. So headers are on the want list now.

Have to dive deep into research though as I do not want extremely loud exhaust tone. That is why I went with Billy Boat section 3. Somewhat of a deeper rumble.

Probably end up getting euro headers. Though bimmer world sells some stepped headers, custom
                  Performance brand, and they intrigue me at the price point. Need to do more research though.

Fyi Tbonem3 I just started looking at your build thread and I am digging it so far. Love the narratives for posts, very thorough. Karbonius race box is also on list of wants!
                  Last edited by Fresh6390; 02-26-2023, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks!

A couple of tips:

1. Billyboat is loud af lol. I love it, but it is one of the louder headers. All mufflers get louder and sound better when you get headers. Choice of midpipes plays a small role, though more in terms of rasp. A popular thing to do with these cars, partly because of their admittedly harsh sound, is to go big with induction and headers, but then keep it reasonable (volume & drone) with a big body muffler like stock, ss street or various sport mufflers like SS, eisenmann, Dinan. BB is def a step louder than those, though not like SS race/AP/gruppe m reps.

2. BW stepped headers are not worth it. They're barely better than euro or any other catless header. CPI used to make them, sold the name to BW. Euros are great, but really there are 2 obvious choices on opposite sides of the power/cost spectrum: Megan's for $400 or SSv1s w/ s pipes ($2k+ decat/$4k catted). Euros might be worth double the Megan's if you just want OE quality. There's no better header than Megan's for that price.

Comment

In for more pics with the LMs. I don't usually see them in 18s.

Comment

Details on the LMs? Those must be redrilled faces right?
                        http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                        '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Recently took delivery of this immaculate 26k mile 2004 M3. You may have seen it on Bring a Trailer. Gave it a solid wash and put in the garage. Excited to be a part of this forum.

Click image for larger version  Name:	atiSjTL.jpg Views:	0 Size:	169.1 KB ID:	208292
                          Last edited by Avedis; 03-03-2023, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by E36 PWR View Post
                            Recently took delivery of this immaculate 26k mile 2004 M3. You may have seen it on Bring a Trailer. Gave it a solid wash and put in the garage. Excited to be a part of this forum.

Click image for larger version  Name:	atiSjTL.jpg Views:	0 Size:	169.1 KB ID:	208292
                            Congrats! Gorgeous

Comment

Originally posted by E36 PWR View Post
                              I was surprised it sold at that price - congratulations and welcome to the forum!

Comment

110k miles on these as far as I know

Comment

Working...
                                X