What did you do for your M3 today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

I sent them an email earlier asking if they could. Thought about doing it myself but the lid is pretty epoxied in place and I don’t want to hack at it. Voltage too low for the BMS was my thought too, assuming it can’t power itself from the output terminals since I put ~13V across them for quite a while.

My understanding is lifepo has a good shot of recovery with a degraded state of energy storage so I’ll see what they say.

My other idea if I was to hack it apart myself anyway was to just replace the cells themselves .. like I said before it’s only like $50-75 worth of lithium (<400 Wh)
    Worked with LiFePO4 solar battery systems when I was still in school and they were surprisingly resilient. We would build solar powered stations and leave them unattended for years. Never failed to get the batteries back up and running even after they had been dead all winter.

Interesting that the BMS didn't come back up with power to the battery posts. Maybe it's in a failsafe mode with such low voltage on each cell?
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Voltage too low for the BMS was my thought too, assuming it can’t power itself from the output terminals since I put ~13V across them for quite a while.
      I’m wondering if a jump starter pack with a boost mode might do the trick? I’ve been in situations and helped others where a jumper cable or my Noco GB40 jump starter wouldn’t start the car, but after putting the GB40 into boost mode the car started up just fine.
      Silver Track to Street Car Journal
      Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Antigravity LiFePo4 … 2.7V across the terminals and won’t charge at all.

that's a bummer but thanks for the alternative batt recc

let us know how AG responds to the issue!

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

that's a bummer but thanks for the alternative batt recc

let us know how AG responds to the issue!
          Nothing so far. If I don’t hear from them I will try to get it open myself with acetone or something to dissolve the epoxy. I’ll need to do so anyway to dispose of it since my recycling center won’t take anything over 11 pounds.

No problem re: alternate battery. If these become more commonplace I wouldn’t be surprised to see prices come down further. There’s a good profit for the company I bought from even at $450. It’s 48 Ah capacity too … AG wants $829 for their 40 Ah variants.

Comment

Doing a simple VANOS bulletproofing. I don’t know why in the Beisan procedure it tells you to use a bag to remove oil pump disc???
            2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
            2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
            2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
              Doing a simple VANOS bulletproofing. I don’t know why in the Beisan procedure it tells you to use a bag to remove oil pump disc???
              Yeah, using a pair of snap ring pliers or needle nose pliers similar to the image below makes it much easier and you don't have slam the VANOS unit or waste a plastic bag -

Click image for larger version  Name:	disc.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	222563

The procedure needs a few things edited. TIS says to torque the chain guide bolt to 13NM, not 24NM.

Wow, it looks like the needle bearings failed on that VANOS unit.
              Last edited by Slideways; 06-20-2023, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Registered the M6 and got my plates for it and the M3.

Bonus points if anyone can name the song my plates have the abbreviation for, and no I didn't choose the plates.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230617_225719.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.5 KB ID:	222572 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230620_192702.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.5 KB ID:	222573
                2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Yeah, using a pair of snap ring pliers or needle nose pliers similar to the image below makes it much easier and you don't have slam the VANOS unit or waste a plastic bag -

Click image for larger version Name:	disc.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	222563

The procedure needs a few things edited. TIS says to torque the chain guide bolt to 13NM, not 24NM.

Wow, it looks like the needle bearings failed on that VANOS unit.
                  I just found it funny that the pistons on the oil pump disc were jammed. Can’t loose a spring while removing it at least!!!

I bought the car with the engine like this. Needle bearing failed, the cage broke, got between the cam gear and timing chain and the chain snapped… I have a couple of bent valves…

I have a built spare engine ready for that car. But in the future, I might send the head with bent valves to Lang Racing for a stage 3 and will fit my Schricks 280/272 and Dinan ITB to it But not sure if it will be enough for my E30 318is
                  2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
                  2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                  2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                    Registered the M6 and got my plates for it and the M3.

Bonus points if anyone can name the song my plates have the abbreviation for, and no I didn't choose the plates
                    You enjoy myself. Love it, btw. The car and the music.
                    Last edited by tlow98; 06-20-2023, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Got some body shop quotes today. Got too close to a pillar in a parking garage. Tempted to put insurance to work and go with the highest quote (who also sounds like they'll do the most thorough job).

Comment

Finally finished the Karbonius CSL-style trunk project. License plate lights wired and roundel and ///M3 badge installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	52992071243_4d36d7bddb_c.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	222805

Name:	52991748829_d38ee5c5a2_c.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	222806

Name:	52991609261_59f495d053_c.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	222807

2005 BMW M3 (6MT) Instagram
                        2021 BMW M340i

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!

My Slow Burn (M3 build thread)
                        My DOUBLE thread (garage build)

Comment

Finished swapping out my CSF radiator for an OE. Did a super flush on the cooling system like Chris Fix, broke the expansion tank that connects to the upper radiator hose and replaced that with the RE metal one which feels like a.huge upgrade. Got the coolant in it, drove it around for 30 min get all the coolant to circulate.

Name:	PXL_20230623_021005813.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	222915 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230623_021031484.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	222916

Comment

Originally posted by nahvkolaj View Post
                            Got some body shop quotes today. Got too close to a pillar in a parking garage. Tempted to put insurance to work and go with the highest quote (who also sounds like they'll do the most thorough job).

Hard to tell if this is Carbon Black or Jet, but if it's Carbon I suggest going with whichever quote is going to do the proper blending. They'll need to put some paint on the door at a minimum, and the hood and bumper in the best case otherwise it's going to be super obvious it's a painted panel.
                            2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Originally posted by Albino09 View Post

Hard to tell if this is Carbon Black or Jet, but if it's Carbon I suggest going with whichever quote is going to do the proper blending. They'll need to put some paint on the door at a minimum, and the hood and bumper in the best case otherwise it's going to be super obvious it's a painted panel.
                              The other option is to buy a used fender. They're easy to swap and both carbon and jet black are common enough that it shouldn't be too hard to find a good used fender.
                              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

The other option is to buy a used fender. They're easy to swap and both carbon and jet black are common enough that it shouldn't be too hard to find a good used fender.
                                My car is Jet, so a bit easier to patch up. I'll have to look into sourcing a good fender. Might be a faster way to get the car fixed too.

I also got a quote from the same shop for a minor dent fix on the hood, which I would expect to be a PDR process, but they're quoting removal, paint, the whole 9. I'd hate to end up with a bondo-filled mess of a job.
                                Last edited by nahvkolaj; 06-23-2023, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X