No announcement yet.

What did you do for your M3 today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the $2700 swap doing it yourself? Cause that seems awfully cheap.
    2004 Dinan S3-R M3
    2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by mtpktz View Post

Would you mind sharing the source on a $2,700 conversion to manual? Feel free to PM me. Thanks!
      That's just parts if I'm buying everything new. Labor would be myself.

The salmon relay is allegedly only 2 years old per the guy I bought the car from, but it's cheap enough that, you guys are right, I should start there. Manual conversion is something that's been in the plan for this car since I bought it, so if there's work to do that requires the transmission to come out (I'm thinking clutch and detents) I figure I might was well go all the way.

Comment

Marek is shipping out my new seats today

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20230811-WA0087.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	229015

Name:	IMG-20230811-WA0084.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	229016

Name:	IMG-20230811-WA0083.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	229017
        2004 Dinan S3-R M3
        2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by nahvkolaj View Post
          The salmon relay is allegedly only 2 years old per the guy I bought the car from, but it's cheap enough that, you guys are right, I should start there. Manual conversion is something that's been in the plan for this car since I bought it, so if there's work to do that requires the transmission to come out (I'm thinking clutch and detents) I figure I might was well go all the way.
          If I was going to beat on the car in the desert, I'd be looking at a manual conversion too, and I don't even like driving manuals. Something about these pumps and intense heat I'm not sure can be overcome, even with annual SMG fluid refreshes (which isn't a particularly bad or expensive idea now that I think about it).

This is one place where this pump is different from the tandem pump + Pentosin idea used in Mercedes hydraulic suspension designs (8-9 liters of fluid). But then again, this system is just changing transmission gears (2-3 liters of fluid), not supporting the suspension loads of the car, so I guess time will tell.

maw
          Last edited by maw1124; 08-14-2023, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post

Those look fantastic!

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

If I was going to beat on the car in the desert, I'd be looking at a manual conversion too, and I don't even like driving manuals. Something about these pumps and intense heat I'm not sure can be overcome, even with annual SMG fluid refreshes (which isn't a particularly bad or expensive idea now that I think about it).

This is one place where this pump is different from the tandem pump + Pentosin idea used in Mercedes hydraulic suspension designs (8-9 liters of fluid). But then again, this system is just changing transmission gears (2-3 liters of fluid), not supporting the suspension loads of the car, so I guess time will tell.

maw
            Reliability in the summer is a major point driving me toward the conversion. I have to drive carefully on my 15 minute commute through town to avoid a temp related error code.

I don't hate the SMG and I'll put it on the shelf for maybe later. Simply hitting the down paddle and getting a smooth braaap into a corner is its own fun. I find myself looking for the paddles when driving other cars, just like I was looking for the clutch pedal on the M3 when I first got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just got it back from the shop where they replaced the evap pump, gas cap, and thermostat that was stuck open. Nice to have those CEL fixed. Hope this helps my gas milage (100mi commute every day and currently getting a computer indicated 26mpg, I25 is 80mph speed limit).

I asked about increasing gas mileage to the guy at the shop, he said a tune (replace plugs, injector cleaner, etc). I asked about a valve adjustment and he said these M3s don't get valves adjusted since they're hydraulically actuated.

I'm almost certain a valve adjustment is part of one of the Inspections, is it not? Shims and all that - and the guy has an E39 M5!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CybrSlydr View Post
                Just got it back from the shop where they replaced the evap pump, gas cap, and thermostat that was stuck open. Nice to have those CEL fixed. Hope this helps my gas milage (100mi commute every day and currently getting a computer indicated 26mpg, I25 is 80mph speed limit).

I asked about increasing gas mileage to the guy at the shop, he said a tune (replace plugs, injector cleaner, etc). I asked about a valve adjustment and he said these M3s don't get valves adjusted since they're hydraulically actuated.

I'm almost certain a valve adjustment is part of one of the Inspections, is it not? Shims and all that - and the guy has an E39 M5!

You are correct S54 needs periodic valve adjustment.

Comment

S54 does need valve adjustment every 30k miles or so. S62 on the other hand, does not.
                  BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                  https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Not a fatal miscalculation… I was a fan until he said no valve adjustment… then I thought “get rid of the guy” … but then the angels of my better nature said “just remind him; he’s worth keeping.”

I’ve taught every mechanic I’ve ever had some specific things about my [rare, obscure] performance cars even though they’ve forgotten more about performance and cars and car performance than I’ll ever know.

It happens… the fun of the game… part of life and learning… enjoy.

maw

EDIT, I have multiple cars and it’s hard for me to remember what I’ve done to which one and why and how I’ve set each one up… and it’s my experience with my time and money… I can only imagine trying to keep up with all the cars a customer might bring in… he might very well not remember which one needs a valve adjustment even if he owned both of them.
                    Last edited by maw1124; 08-21-2023, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
                      Just bought M3 #3! 2004 Silver Gray 80k miles. Going to do a full restoration like Rosso. Thinking British Racing Green 🤔

You are a madman. Please tell me there will be a build journal for this one.
                      Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post

The seats look great. Where did you get the seat fabric from?

Comment

Originally posted by slavik1988 View Post

It is the YFCM Composite Driveshaft. I got in during the group buy at $1750. Now they are over $2k.

https://euroconnex.co/collections/e4...43674925760762
                          Please post your impressions of the driveshaft when you can. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by nyc951 View Post
                            The seats look great. Where did you get the seat fabric from?

Marek uses authentic M-Texture fabric. I'm actually surprised by how much is still out there in the wild despite being NLA from BMW.

I have a roll at my house I ordered a few years ago, and both my seats and door panels are authentic M-Texture, not reproduction, I put them up against my roll of fabric to check.

2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                            2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Before someone asks lol, if anyone is looking for M-Texture interior, Joni did mine and it's real M-Texture fabric.

Leather Restoration, Custom Interior Work, Section Replacement, Leather Refinishing, Headliner Rewrap, Interior Trim Rewrap, Steering Wheel Rewrap, Convertible Top Replacement, Convertible Rear Window Replacement, Door Panel Insert Replacement, Seat Frame Repair or Replacement
                              2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                              2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

I’m new to this forum. While I like learning more about our M cars and reading about everyone’s cool projects, my wallet is starting to hurt big time from all the products I am seeing.

Comment

Working...
                                X