What did you do for your M3 today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c watson View Post
    I know most aren’t a fan of window film, but I decided to have Xpel XR prime installed. The glare from these modern day SUVs is completely unforgiving. So at night I like to roll my windows up even when the top is down.

I am also impressed with the heat rejection. The temps today were near 90 and the sun was strong!

The specs are:
    20% XR all around
    80% Xpel blue complete windshield.

edit - the wipers were removed by me for new oem windshield installation and film prep.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_9449.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.3 KB ID:	226285
    Im going to update this post now that I've had some time to put the new tint to good use. I know tint is frowned upon among a lot of e46 M3 owners, but it made a day/night difference in my car. I have a bad problem when it comes to glare from oncoming headlights. Even headlights behind me can be obnoxious at times. Having my car lowered on Ohlins doesn't help since the headlights behind me will shine right into my side rear view mirrors at a very unforgiving angle.

At 80% on the front windshield its PERFECT! Zero glare. Years back I had a darker 40% llumar non ceramic film that didn't cut down the glare. I ripped it off after a while because it was very hard to see at night and it wasnt doing much for the glare.

At 20% on the sides - it's a perfect shade for some privacy when I need it, but also when the headlights become a bit much, I can just roll my windows up. My car is a convertible so I can basically eliminate all tint simply by rolling the windows down.

Now for my favorite part. The heat rejection is awesome! I had my AC serviced last year and leak tested. One small leak was found and repaired, and the system was vacuumed, and I had fresh freon added. With the convertible top closed and all the windows shut, the car gets COLD!

I would've even gone with 80% or 70% on the sides and rear but I do like a little privacy from time to time. I would definitely recommend Xpel tint even at the lightest shade for glade reducing and heat rejection properties.

Side note: rear windshield wasn't tinted with xpel. The convertible top is going to get replaced with a new OEM top this fall/winter. I currently have 20% llumar on the rear windshield for the time being. The rear windshield still glares when the top is up, and the heat rejection is minimal. I will have the new rear glass tinted with xpel xr 20% once the new top is installed.

Comment

I’m getting bored as my car is about 85% refreshed. My glovebox flashlight wasn’t working correctly. I would have to press down on the power switch in order for it to work. So I purchased a brand new one from ECS and a new led bulb from Draco Products. I’ll probably never use this, but it’s nice to have.

The difference in photos speaks for itself.

(Before is on the left)
      (After is on the right)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by c watson; 08-10-2023, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I’m getting bored as my car is about 85% refreshed. My glovebox flashlight wasn’t working correctly. I would have to press down on the power switch in order for it to work. So I purchased a brand new one from ECS and a new led bulb from Draco Products. I’ll probably never use this, but it’s nice to have.

(Before is on the left)
        (After is on the right)
        Hilarious. My car too is finally reallllllly dialed in and getting a functional flashlight is on my "stupid things to do when I'm bored list". Glad I'm not the only one!

Comment

(Before is on the left)
          (After is on the right)
          That's a big difference, nice! Which bulb did you end up purchasing?

Comment

Originally posted by bagger View Post

Hilarious. My car too is finally reallllllly dialed in and getting a functional flashlight is on my "stupid things to do when I'm bored list". Glad I'm not the only one!
            I refreshed my trunk tool kit as well after many years of procrastinating.

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post

That's a big difference, nice! Which bulb did you end up purchasing?
              Here you go.

edit: I’m having a hard time linking the actual product. Just go to the Draco products website and type “bmw” in the search bar. The bulb will pop up.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by c watson; 08-11-2023, 11:56 AM.

Comment

And so beings the long road of fixing up my M3.

Started off by getting a new radio. It's a Sony XAV-AX4000. I wanted the 6000, but Best Buy doesn't sell it (I know, but BB is practically the only place around that'll do car audio installs). With all the bits and bobs needed for it, it was around $800 installed.

Anyone have an idea of where I can get a rubber grommet or something for the cigarette lighter and USB cable? I'd rather it be in-place than just flopping about.

Next up is getting the thermostat that's stuck open replaced and fixing this evap leak (got codes for both) with associated loose gas cap light intermittently.

Then it's on to cosmetic stuff, like the clear coat in places is starting to peel thanks to the intense Wyoming sun. Then getting the seats re-upholstered and all the carpets replaced (where do you folks find interior bits for sale?). Got an exhaust rattle that needs looked a

Comment

Originally posted by CybrSlydr View Post
                  And so beings the long road of fixing up my M3.

Started off by getting a new radio. It's a Sony XAV-AX4000. I wanted the 6000, but Best Buy doesn't sell it (I know, but BB is practically the only place around that'll do car audio installs). With all the bits and bobs needed for it, it was around $800 installed.

Anyone have an idea of where I can get a rubber grommet or something for the cigarette lighter and USB cable? I'd rather it be in-place than just flopping about.

Next up is getting the thermostat that's stuck open replaced and fixing this evap leak (got codes for both) with associated loose gas cap light intermittently.

Then it's on to cosmetic stuff, like the clear coat in places is starting to peel thanks to the intense Wyoming sun. Then getting the seats re-upholstered and all the carpets replaced (where do you folks find interior bits for sale?). Got an exhaust rattle that needs looked a
                  This may work for you

/// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

I sold my 2021 WRX STI to the dealer, after 2.5 years of thinking it would replace the M3. Kind of came close, but lost. Now more driving time in the M3 can be had.

Comment

Just got the "Track Mode" flashed on my Mk60. Took the car on a hard drive in the mountains yesterday and had a blast. Even blew past some C8s trundling up through the mountains. For the most part, the car was working well.

But. Started getting some rough 2-3 shifts. Seemed like the SMG was having trouble getting into 3rd. Then right outside of town, the SMG dropped from 1st to N as I was turning onto the highway (while still indicating 1st on the cluster so that was confusing). This was after a long straight downhill and the car was cool (178F water and ~190-200F oil). Had to pull over and restart the car to get it to go back into gear and get me home.

Now I'm looking at the options. Looking like $2300 to rebuild the SMG ($3k to also relocate) or $2700 to convert to a manual. Includes a new clutch since mine gets chattery. Good thing I love driving this car!

Comment

nahvkolaj I would definitely do the 6mt conversion. You’ll have even more fun on those spirited drives.

Comment

Originally posted by nahvkolaj View Post
                          Just got the "Track Mode" flashed on my Mk60. Took the car on a hard drive in the mountains yesterday and had a blast. Even blew past some C8s trundling up through the mountains. For the most part, the car was working well.

But. Started getting some rough 2-3 shifts. Seemed like the SMG was having trouble getting into 3rd. Then right outside of town, the SMG dropped from 1st to N as I was turning onto the highway (while still indicating 1st on the cluster so that was confusing). This was after a long straight downhill and the car was cool (178F water and ~190-200F oil). Had to pull over and restart the car to get it to go back into gear and get me home.

Now I'm looking at the options. Looking like $2300 to rebuild the SMG ($3k to also relocate) or $2700 to convert to a manual. Includes a new clutch since mine gets chattery. Good thing I love driving this car!
                          Just do the 6MT conversion.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Comment

Check salmon relay first.
                            BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Would you mind sharing the source on a $2,700 conversion to manual? Feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

Check salmon relay first.
                                +1 on this, if a simple restart of the car with basically no change in temperature conditions was all it took to get you back up and running.

I mean, spend the $3k if you want (I'm sure someone here has a pump they'll sell you for way cheaper though), and get a manual if you want, but for troubleshooting this you can start with the simple stuff.

maw

Comment

Working...
                                X