No announcement yet.

What did you do for your M3 today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally finished my 6+mo interior refresh. Leather re-dye, lots of new plastics, paint, sound deadening + not much time daily to work on it.
    Attached Files
    2002 M3 LSB/Kiwi Vert
    2014 X5 50i
    2019 Ford Raptor

Comment

Originally posted by dilmorecg View Post
      Finally finished my 6+mo interior refresh. Leather re-dye, lots of new plastics, paint, sound deadening + not much time daily to work on it.
      looks awesome! nice work! if you dont already have a carbon airbox you should get 1, in a manual vert that could be loads of fun.
      • 2006 AW/IR Manual
      • Karbonius Race / Alpha- N
      • Supersprint
      • KW V3
      • 996 Brembo
      • ZCP / PSS

Comment

Originally posted by bassel_sy View Post

looks awesome! nice work! if you dont already have a carbon airbox you should get 1, in a manual vert that could be loads of fun.
        I am planning on it. I have a my list I am going through taking care of the big 3 first, then more fun mods. The interior project kind of snowballed but Im glad its done now.

Ive been watching lots of airbox videos lately drooling, lol.
        2002 M3 LSB/Kiwi Vert
        2014 X5 50i
        2019 Ford Raptor

Comment

Are you using the mount with an iphone, or another phone?

Does your phone have a case / protector or not ?
          Thank you

Comment

That looks great. Mind spilling what you did to the leather? Was kiwi original with the car? Is it a US spec car or Canadian? Ive got a py with kiwi, but had to import it from canada. Front Seats are in decent condition for the mileage, but could be better. Back seats are tight and look brand new.

Comment

Looks super good dude! What did you use for the dye? The finish looks on point!

Comment

Originally posted by Rkymtnrider View Post

That looks great. Mind spilling what you did to the leather? Was kiwi original with the car? Is it a US spec car or Canadian? Ive got a py with kiwi, but had to import it from canada. Front Seats are in decent condition for the mileage, but could be better. Back seats are tight and look brand new.
                I used Colourlock dye: http://www.colourlock.net/contents/en-us/p4722.html

I dont think you could get Kiwi in the states except as an individual color only on certain exterior colors (Like PY). Not original. I got it from someone selling in Vancouver, Canada. I live in Seattle area so it wasn't too far.

Its pretty easy to put the dye on with a sponge but I found it gave it a shiny finish. So I did a matte clear topcoat (https://leatherworldtech.com/top-coat/). I think if I did it again I would airbrush the color on. Lots of videos on re-dying leather and how to do it. I think the light airbrush method keeps the factory look matte sheen without the topcoat. The leatherworld topcoat options were all to shiny for what I wanted but they had some backstock matte they sent me. Colourlock also has matte top coat which is what I would buy if you go this route.

Also, sand as little as you can. The more you have to sand the smoother the texture of the leather. I only sanded the driver seat bolster areas since they were the worst with cracks and wear areas. My drivers bolster was pretty bad. Worn down completely in spots (Usual wear for these cars). Its pretty easy to build back up the color with the dye to look "New". Many light coats are better than fewer thick coats. I also re-sewed the seam that always splits on our seats from behind.

Also, buy more dye than you think you need. I had to go back a few times to get more and it didn't match exactly so I had to send them a sample...which cost quite a bit since I had to ship it to the UK. I think Kiwi is a tough match since its not very common. They mix the dye for each order. If I did it again I would order 1L of dye for the whole car. They dont have that option in the link but do offer 1L in their other dyes. I think if you just email them you can order the 1L option.

I did get a brand new armrest from ECS with this project and the color is almost perfect. In some lights its a little off but it is really close.
                2002 M3 LSB/Kiwi Vert
                2014 X5 50i
                2019 Ford Raptor

Comment

Started the long and arduous process of cleaning every component before the engine is ready re-assembly and cleaning all the front end support etc. Have to make it look brand new

Comment

Wired the flap, all wires to be properly soldered soon.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200626_213722.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	38228 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200626_210451.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	38229
                    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                    Instagram

Comment

I used Colourlock dye: http://www.colourlock.net/contents/en-us/p4722.html

I dont think you could get Kiwi in the states except as an individual color only on certain exterior colors (Like PY). Not original. I got it from someone selling in Vancouver, Canada. I live in Seattle area so it wasn't too far.

Its pretty easy to put the dye on with a sponge but I found it gave it a shiny finish. So I did a matte clear topcoat (https://leatherworldtech.com/top-coat/). I think if I did it again I would airbrush the color on. Lots of videos on re-dying leather and how to do it. I think the light airbrush method keeps the factory look matte sheen without the topcoat. The leatherworld topcoat options were all to shiny for what I wanted but they had some backstock matte they sent me. Colourlock also has matte top coat which is what I would buy if you go this route.

Also, sand as little as you can. The more you have to sand the smoother the texture of the leather. I only sanded the driver seat bolster areas since they were the worst with cracks and wear areas. My drivers bolster was pretty bad. Worn down completely in spots (Usual wear for these cars). Its pretty easy to build back up the color with the dye to look "New". Many light coats are better than fewer thick coats. I also re-sewed the seam that always splits on our seats from behind.

Also, buy more dye than you think you need. I had to go back a few times to get more and it didn't match exactly so I had to send them a sample...which cost quite a bit since I had to ship it to the UK. I think Kiwi is a tough match since its not very common. They mix the dye for each order. If I did it again I would order 1L of dye for the whole car. They dont have that option in the link but do offer 1L in their other dyes. I think if you just email them you can order the 1L option.

I did get a brand new armrest from ECS with this project and the color is almost perfect. In some lights its a little off but it is really close.
                      Cool. Thanks. I just got the armrest from ecs too. I know there were 2 smg and 2 manuals In PY ordered for the states and iirc 34 total for North America. Do you have any pics of the interior before the resto?

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                        Wired the flap, all wires to be properly soldered soon.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200626_213722.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	38228 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200626_210451.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	38229
                        Please educate me. What's the purpose of the flap?

I have a Streamline Autosport airbox en-route (no flap though)

Comment

Originally posted by Syfon View Post

Please educate me. What's the purpose of the flap?

I have a Streamline Autosport airbox en-route (no flap though)
                          Iirc there was a debate about this in another thread. I think the conclusion was nothing.
                          • 2006 AW/IR Manual
                          • Karbonius Race / Alpha- N
                          • Supersprint
                          • KW V3
                          • 996 Brembo
                          • ZCP / PSS

Comment

Some say it's just for noise reduction, this is true. But I find that having the flap closed at lower RPMs feels like I have a bit more torque from a stop. Smaller hole feeding air at lower RPMs then it opens up at higher RPM.
                            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                            Instagram

Comment

Lowered more Click image for larger version

Name:	46D5AEA6-1F89-46AC-86F2-BF11D171CD08.jpeg
Views:	489
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	38297
                              '96 RSP TT6spd Supra
                              '05 Jet Black 6spd ZCP M3
                              iG: 2jz.jest

Comment

Cleaning the engine bay once again. (Wipe down with ONR, sealed the airbox with Clutch from Shine Supply). Sold my DMG strut bar and waiting on a new one from DMG (extended burns)Click image for larger version  Name:	BC6AB13D-A1E9-408A-BAF5-401EBC6DDE96.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	137.7 KB ID:	38303
                                06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Working...
                                X