What did you do for your M3 today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

Wow, so when you modify your car, you need to register the new parts with the Zulassungsstelle? For what purpose? That seems like a massive undertaking for the government to keep up with and for what reason...

Regardless, nice work with the 3 pages of modes
    Thanks, the person working on it actually asked me if I am planning to turn my papers into a book.

Putting it in the papers is just a formality. Most mods have to be signed off by the TÜV to be legal, then you just take the TÜV certification to the Zulassungsstelle to get in your papers. Stupid, but legal requirement.

Just about everything that affects the way the car drives has to pass TÜV. Interior is generally exempt, except for seats and steering wheel.
    But small stuff is usually not put in, for example I did not get my motor or subframe bushings put in the papers.

Gesendet von meinem LON-L29 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Got Xpel PPF put on my Karb roof

New trunk seal — fixed a minor leak on the passenger side. Old one was flattened a bit after 17 years, and presumably the original trunk squeezed it more than my OE CSL one does.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
        Got Xpel PPF put on my Karb roof

New trunk seal — fixed a minor leak on the passenger side. Old one was flattened a bit after 17 years, and presumably the original trunk squeezed it more than my OE CSL one does.
        Hey repo - two questions:

1) How does the Xpel look? Can you tell it's there? Debating the same thing...

2) The trunk seal on mine is pretty flat too and when I washed it the first time after the Karbonius trunk went in, got a wet trunk floor. I thought about getting a new seal, your post just about seals the deal (no pun) for me getting one. Have you taken it in the rain or washed it since the install? Curious if you've actually tried it.
        Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
          Thanks, the person working on it actually asked me if I am planning to turn my papers into a book.

Putting it in the papers is just a formality. Most mods have to be signed off by the TÜV to be legal, then you just take the TÜV certification to the Zulassungsstelle to get in your papers. Stupid, but legal requirement.

Just about everything that affects the way the car drives has to pass TÜV. Interior is generally exempt, except for seats and steering wheel.
          But small stuff is usually not put in, for example I did not get my motor or subframe bushings put in the papers.

Gesendet von meinem LON-L29 mit Tapatalk
          I learned about this the hard way when I tried to put snow tires on my E30 touring without checking their sizes matched the papers. The car and I weren't going to remain in the country long enough to make it worth getting the papers updated, and I had a mechanic refuse to install them for me.
          2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

Hey repo - two questions:

1) How does the Xpel look? Can you tell it's there? Debating the same thing...

2) The trunk seal on mine is pretty flat too and when I washed it the first time after the Karbonius trunk went in, got a wet trunk floor. I thought about getting a new seal, your post just about seals the deal (no pun) for me getting one. Have you taken it in the rain or washed it since the install? Curious if you've actually tried it.
            It looks great! I already had it on the whole front end, makes for worry free track driving and washes — and the old stuff has held up great for like seven years now. I held off for a while on the roof because it’s not that cheap but wanted the UV protection and easy roof washes. Can’t tell it’s there IMO. Just be careful with any wax or product on any exposed edges that you don’t push it into the edge, but stop a half inch or inch before and push it around the opposite direction when buffing it off (to avoid white wax lines on all the edges — helpful tip from a guy at the shop since I have those wax lines all over the front end 🙄 )

I haven’t taken it in the rain or washed yet but I spent a bunch of time in my trunk (lol) adjusting the metal “seat” and trying to figure out why it wasn’t sealing. It was easy to see sunlight coming through the gap on the passenger side until I threw the new seal on.

Comment

With enough flaming on here, got the rear m texture bottom seat fixed so that the midline isn't leather.

Comment

Today I found out that adding another S54 to my car surprisingly made it slower:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220729_160658.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	178292

Plan is to build this engine slowly. Not gonna do anything crazy with it, just machining, new rods and pistons, cams and all the regular S54 stuff. Everything looked good (and felt good under my fingernail), but we'll have to see what the machine shop has to say.

Doing this mostly for fun. Have never built an engine before so I want to learn. This one might end up in my car (and then I can rebuild the one that's currently in there) or it might end up in something else (clownshoe?). Now I have to figure out how to properly store all this so it doesn't corrode. Don't think I'll be doing any work with this for months, still have to work my way through my queued projects.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                  Today I found out that adding another S54 to my car surprisingly made it slower:

Name:	20220729_160658.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	178292

Plan is to build this engine slowly. Not gonna do anything crazy with it, just machining, new rods and pistons, cams and all the regular S54 stuff. Everything looked good (and felt good under my fingernail), but we'll have to see what the machine shop has to say.

Doing this mostly for fun. Have never built an engine before so I want to learn. This one might end up in my car (and then I can rebuild the one that's currently in there) or it might end up in something else (clownshoe?). Now I have to figure out how to properly store all this so it doesn't corrode. Don't think I'll be doing any work with this for months, still have to work my way through my queued projects.
                  Nice pick up!

ok, now to buy:
                  bore gauges
                  calipers
                  ring file
                  piston ring compressor (suggest tapered ARP)
                  ARP fasteners
                  digital torque angle torque wrench
                  assembly lube
                  main + Rob bearings
                  plastigauge
                  piston ring pliers

Or just borrow it all from me when I’m done with mine?

haha, but as you’ll soon find out, it’s a pretty awesome project. :-)

hit me up anytime

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post

Nice pick up!

ok, now to buy:
                    bore gauges
                    calipers
                    ring file
                    piston ring compressor (suggest tapered ARP)
                    ARP fasteners
                    digital torque angle torque wrench
                    assembly lube
                    main + Rob bearings
                    plastigauge
                    piston ring pliers

Or just borrow it all from me when I’m done with mine?

haha, but as you’ll soon find out, it’s a pretty awesome project. :-)

hit me up anytime

Ha, the borrowing seems more appealing than the buying for some reason

Excited to get started with this, but for now I'll be spraying stuff with WD40 and wrapping in plastic to put into storage. Have to at least finish my MK60 swap before starting on this. Otherwise I'll just have a bunch of unfinished stuff lying around.
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Today I replaced the CPV O-ring as I had the typical oil leak path, with drop pooling on the trans bell housing to block at the passenger side. Thanks to MPower22 for the O-ring and drag link socket! I spent more time jacking around with combinations of extensions etc, than probably anything else.

One thing I was prepared for after watching some online videos, but otherwise would not have been, was the oil coming out of the hole when the CPV is removed. But, makes sense given the CPV function.

Comment

My car came with smoked depo corners, I swapped them out with some ambers.

Name:	IMG_9960.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	178380 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9961.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	178381
                        Attached Files
                        11 E90 M3 Alpine White
                        96 FJ80 Black
                        05 E46 M3 Carbon Black: (sold)
                        86 Porsche 944 Turbo Guards Red, 320 whp: (sold)
                        89 E30 Touring Alpine White, S52 swapped: (sold)
                        02 E46 M3 Steel Grey: (sold)

Comment

Name:	680977393_20220731_112345.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	178476 Click image for larger version

Name:	680981106_20220731_122520.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	178477 Tint and ppf getting installed today

Comment

Dropped a Sparco Pilot seat in and it was tight. It touches the center console at the front, has about an inch to the door, and half an inch to the headliner.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Wernd; 08-07-2022, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernd View Post

Name:	680977393_20220731_112345.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	178476 Click image for larger version

Name:	680981106_20220731_122520.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	178477 Tint and ppf getting installed today
                              off topic, what kind of flooring is that? Do you have a link for that? Thanks

Comment

Over the weekend I installed a Bavsound speaker kit, loaded CSL DME rev match partial tune, and coded in high beam flasher DRL.

The Bavsound is good, but I had a blown passenger mid bass and the midranges were all gone, so my benchmark for the car was low. Of course it doesn’t match my Polks in my living room, but I’m happy. Might need to upgrade the drivers in the sub box.

The CSL DME parameters seem to make the CSL SMG software finally work as intended. Much snappier downshift rev matches, which is what I was after. Up-shifts are snappier at all speeds, which is whatever. Still doesn’t alleviate the frustration of guessing how the computer will execute shifts around town. I’ll be interested to see how this works when I take the car to an autocross at the end of the month. Manual swap is still on my roadmap, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X