What did you do for your M3 today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Nice. If you wouldn’t mind reporting back after the install this is part of my winter projects. Curious how much space there is and if an elbow is required.
    I’ll try and report back here when it’s all running!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What I did today for my '03 vert SMG was to sell it! Garage sale stuff will follow soon. It was a fun and difficult learning experience, but its now time to move along! Thanks to all of you who were so helpful along the way.
      Regards,
      Steve

Comment

I’ve been eyeing Ohlins R&T for a long time. I feel like KW v2 doesn’t do it for me anymore plus I want a change. I bought them from FCP so I don’t have to pay for a rebuild down the road and the lifetime warranty is second to none!

Click image for larger version  Name:	5C900482-C738-4A17-B758-8C8E92D39B3B.png Views:	152 Size:	189.1 KB ID:	133914
        Attached Files
        Last edited by DropTopKingM3; 10-30-2021, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Swapped shift knobs

from Condor
          Click image for larger version

Name:	51633717097_dbd357e0d6_z.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	134170

to OEM weighted
          Click image for larger version

Name:	51635195884_8d09496888_z.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	134171
          2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Anthracite Impuse
          Fabspeed Headers | Euro Sec 1 | OE Sec 2 | Scorpion Sec 3 | Beisan | Mini Battery | Fortune Auto 7k/12k | Hotchkis Front SB | Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 | Yellow Tag Rack

2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Black Nappa Leather
          Karbonius | Supersprint | Cat Cams | Beisan | Fikse Wheels | Mile End Composites | AST 5200 | Hotchkis | Brembo | Recaro | Rouge SMF | RTD | Yellow Tag Rack | HTE Performance

Comment

Turner reinforcement plates welded to the under carriage, one hairline crack found after subframe removal.
            2003 has 110k miles.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

VinceBar (Epoxy/Rivet) has gone in along with the gusset cups to tie down the top side reinforcement.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Today my car received a package from Bulgaria. Something carbon and boxy. I'm told it should make everything aft of the exhaust port null and void. Redundant. We will see if conventional wisdom holds true...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6518.jpg Views:	3 Size:	212.3 KB ID:	134536 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6517.jpg Views:	3 Size:	176.8 KB ID:	134537
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6516.jpg Views:	3 Size:	189.7 KB ID:	134538
                Last edited by Mayan-Viking; 10-30-2021, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I started my engine for the first time since rebuilding it. This was my first engine to ever rebuild. I’m very happy to finally have it finished, and even more relieved that everything is running as it should leak free

Comment

Mayan-Viking what's the reason you went for this over karbonius?

Always love seeing a good airbox.
                    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                      Mayan-Viking what's the reason you went for this over karbonius?

Always love seeing a good airbox.
                      The primary reasons are as follows:

1. Better perceived quality - All bungs have physical threaded billet aluminum connections with custom made nuts.
                      2. Repositioned IAT sensor.
                      3. More info provided by Haimus than Karb - Dyno #s, etc. Haimus seems to have put a lot of thought into redesigning the original CSL box. Check their website vs Karb's site.
                      4. I don't want to use the flap, the Haimus snorkel is a more elegant (simple) solution for my needs.
                      5. 5 year warranty on finish and structure of the Haimus air box.
                      6. The Karb's lead time was 2.5X that of Haimus when I ordered.
                      7. Terrific customer support throughout the ordering process.
                      8. I'm a sucker for things with serial numbers on them.
                      9. I like a good underdog story. I know they've had had a few issues in the past, but they seem to be putting out a killer product at the moment.

The CF quality/weave appears to be top-notch imho. I'm very impressed. I will get better pics posted today once it's properly cleaned up and in the right light.

Another forum member who lives near me recently ordered the Karb. We will put the two air boxes side by side when his arrives and we will be happy to share our feedback on the similarities/differences between the two boxes. We also intend to dyno both cars before and after the install, so that will be telling to some extent.

Then there's the difference in sound. That's subjective, of course, but we will be happy to provide our thoughts there as well. Hopefully people can learn from our experiences as they make their respective decisions on choice of air box. I'm halfway through bearing break-in and I understand the current lead time on Karb is 8 weeks. So while this shootout might not happen tomorrow, it will happen!

Cheers,
                      t
                      Last edited by Mayan-Viking; 10-31-2021, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayan-Viking View Post

The primary reasons are as follows:

1. Better perceived quality - All bungs have physical threaded billet aluminum connections with custom made nuts.
                        2. Repositioned IAT sensor.
                        3. More info provided by Haimus than Karb - Dyno #s, etc. Haimus seems to have put a lot of thought into redesigning the original CSL box. Check their website vs Karb's site.
                        4. I don't want to use the flap, the Haimus snorkel is a more elegant (simple) solution for my needs.
                        5. 5 year warranty on finish and structure of the Haimus air box.
                        6. The Karb's lead time was 2.5X that of Haimus when I ordered.
                        7. Terrific customer support throughout the ordering process.
                        8. I'm a sucker for things with serial numbers on them.
                        9. I like a good underdog story. I know they've had had a few issues in the past, but they seem to be putting out a killer product at the moment.

The CF quality/weave appears to be top-notch imho. I'm very impressed. I will get better pics posted today once it's properly cleaned up and in the right light.

Another forum member who lives near me recently ordered the Karb. We will put the two air boxes side by side when his arrives and we will be happy to share our feedback on the similarities/differences between the two boxes. We also intend to dyno both cars before and after the install, so that will be telling to some extent.

Then there's the difference in sound. That's subjective, of course, but we will be happy to provide our thoughts there as well. Hopefully people can learn from our experiences as they make their respective decisions on choice of air box. I'm halfway through bearing break-in and I understand the current lead time on Karb is 8 weeks. So while this shootout might not happen tomorrow, it will happen!

Cheers,
                        t
                        Excellent post. Points that I consider in response:

1. I'll have to scrutinize mine once I get it out of storage and on the car when the car gets put together.
                        2. I don't buy the whole iat relocation that is popular here. I wouldn't alter the position personally because it's the most accurate reading near the throttle bodies, changing this is deceiving the ecu of the incoming temps.
                        3. I'm not sure I want some small operation redesigning something that an entire r&d team did lots of modeling to produce for the engine they designed. I can see the appeal of that idea though.
                        4. Me either, and I quite enjoy the snorkel aesthetic of the karbonius which doesn't utilize the flap also. I'll have to look at the haimus to note the difference.
                        5. Not a factor for me, if the box is well made it's all that matters to me. If the quality wasn't par then I'd sell and get something else likely never utilizing the warranty.
                        6. I understand this.
                        7. Same as karb.
                        8. Same, except meaningful serials mean more to me so aftermarket pieces don't fall into that category for me. It's a perceived or feigned value proposition.
                        9. Piece appears very well made and I'm actually not a huge karb fan if I'm being completely candid.

Looking forward to hear thoughts regarding the two side by side. I do enjoy top level composites fabrication and despise mid or lower tier work. I am considering a third airbox at some point to critique as well but that may change once you update this thread.
                        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Mayan-Viking View Post
                          Today my car received a package from Bulgaria. Something carbon and boxy. I'm told it should make everything aft of the exhaust port null and void. Redundant. We will see if conventional wisdom holds true...

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_6518.jpg Views:	3 Size:	212.3 KB ID:	134536 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_6517.jpg Views:	3 Size:	176.8 KB ID:	134537
                          Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_6516.jpg Views:	3 Size:	189.7 KB ID:	134538
                          Love me some good shiny objects!! Beautiful looking piece of kit. Congrats on the purchase and the desired outcome on arrival. Will be fun to stack it up next to the Spanish mouse trap!
                          Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
                            I’ve been eyeing Ohlins R&T for a long time. I feel like KW v2 doesn’t do it for me anymore plus I want a change. I bought them from FCP so I don’t have to pay for a rebuild down the road and the lifetime warranty is second to none!

Click image for larger version Name:	5C900482-C738-4A17-B758-8C8E92D39B3B.png Views:	152 Size:	189.1 KB ID:	133914
                            DropTopKingM3 , What did you not like about the kw v2?

Comment

Originally posted by Chubacca View Post

DropTopKingM3 , What did you not like about the kw v2?
                              As far as daily driving I didn’t find them to be comfortable at all. I drove another members fast with ohlins r&t and fell in love immediately.

Comment

DropTopKingM3 Same here there is a big difference in feel between the two especially on New York Streets. Ohlins definitely get the win.

Comment

Working...
                                X