Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does my VGC need replacing? Would be frustrating since it’d be the third time this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post
      I'm going to be tackling some transmission work and am curious about deleting the clutch delay valve (CDV). I like the concept of a faster engaging clutch but have questions...

Is this worth doing at all? Or more of a "3 TiGhT FreE $$$ Mods!!!" Youtube video kind of mod?

Does it do any long term damage to remove the CDV?
      No long term damage as far as I know. The difference wasn't dramatic, but noticeable. I prefer the non-delayed feel of clutching in and out (remove CDV).

Story goes that it was developed to help people drive a MT more smoothly.

Comment

The conspiracy theory is that they chucked it in to protect driveline & prevent RACP tearing. A stop gap unconcerned with driver "feel." Not freude am fahren.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Can anyone provide the part numbers of the supposed 2 x 8mm hex self tapping screws and 1 expanding plastic rivet used per side underneath the front bumper cover?

RealOEM doesn't show where the screws/rivets go.

The "hex self tapping screws" seem to be 07119901515 but I can't confirm what the "expanding plastic rivet" is. RealOEM seems to point to 07146959925 but ECS shows just a plastic screw while a few sources show (and describe) this an expanding rivet like this (#2):

Does anyone know the part number of this item #2? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by S3diment View Post
            Does my VGC need replacing? Would be frustrating since it’d be the third time this year.
            I guess I don't see anything out of sorts here, do you see oil leaks? After being on the forums a few years I found that for this part you only want genuine BMW.
            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
            Instagram

Comment

Does anybody know of a better DIY for removing the fan clutch? I was only able to find this 1 youtube video:

How to BMW e46 m3 Waterpump & Thermostat diy on BMW E46 M3 DIYMerchandise: http://www.shoplifetv.comInstagram: @ShopLifeTVhttps://www.instagram.com/shoplife...

@5:20, is it safe to remove the fan clutch with the shroud in tack like this? I'm going in to just replace the serpentine and ac belts.

Comment

Originally posted by M3_CJ View Post
                Does anybody know of a better DIY for removing the fan clutch? I was only able to find this 1 youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frDb...nel=ShopLifeTV

@5:20, is it safe to remove the fan clutch with the shroud in tack like this? I'm going in to just replace the serpentine and ac belts.
                It is easier and safer to remove the shroud with the fan clutch. The shroud is held on by four screws and there are two connectors on the left side that need to be removed.

Edit: In the video, he needs to pull the shroud up more to easily release the fan.
                Last edited by Slideways; 10-20-2021, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

It is easier and safer to remove the shroud with the fan clutch. The shroud is held on by four screws and there are two connectors on the left side that need to be removed.

Edit: In the video, he needs to pull the shroud up more to easily release the fan.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Can someone please tell me what the purpose of the round cover in the oil pan (part # 11137832020) is for? This is item # 6 in the parts diagram. And is it common for the gasket to leak (item # 7)? Thanks...

Comment

Is my power steering pump going out? After my recent track day, I noticed a slight whine at idle, as well as a noticeable whine/groan when turning the steering wheel when the car is stopped. Fluid level is normal and was recently flushed with ATF. Steering effort feels the same as before.
                      "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                      ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Originally posted by BMWE46M3 View Post
                        Can someone please tell me what the purpose of the round cover in the oil pan (part # 11137832020) is for? This is item # 6 in the parts diagram. And is it common for the gasket to leak (item # 7)? Thanks...
                        Part #6 is an oil screen where the oil pick up tube that recirculates the oil is centered in the middle of it. I believe the screen is designed to keep out anything that could fall into the crankcase and possibly clog the oil pick up tube. I don't know if it's a common leak point as mine has never leaked from there but replacing the #7 gasket is simply enough.

Comment

Originally posted by E46_M3_ZCP View Post

Part #6 is an oil screen where the oil pick up tube that recirculates the oil is centered in the middle of it. I believe the screen is designed to keep out anything that could fall into the crankcase and possibly clog the oil pick up tube. I don't know if it's a common leak point as mine has never leaked from there but replacing the #7 gasket is simply enough.
                          Thanks….

Comment

Is there a way to rev the engine from the engine bay?

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                              Is there a way to rev the engine from the engine bay?
                              Shout at your helper to press the accelerator.

No but for real, not really. The computer freaks out if you manually open the throttle bodies (e.g. push down on the actuator rod) without depressing the pedal. Plus, you'll be fighting the actuator.
                              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I just had my vanos redone with Beisan upgrades. The break in period per Beisan website is 200 city miles. How many highway miles is 200 city? I’ve driven 225 miles so far with about maybe half city and heavy traffic miles. Rod bearings were replace at the same time as the vanos.

thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                                X