This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

I'd suggest finding a shop that deals with track/race cars next time. A bit more expensive than at a regular alignment place, but they'll be more familiar with non-stock setups and usually take more care to get the settings exact.

Bonus points if you find a place that has a couple e46 m3 track cars parked outside.
    The closet place would be in Kansas City, which is quite a drive from Lincoln, but would likely be worth it.
    When I switch out for better coils it'll likely go to Chicane Racing in KC for the alignment. The only euro shop in my town doesn't do alignments unfortunately.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

The closet place would be in Kansas City, which is quite a drive from Lincoln, but would likely be worth it.
      When I switch out for better coils it'll likely go to Chicane Racing in KC for the alignment. The only euro shop in my town doesn't do alignments unfortunately.
      Damn, yeah that's a long drive for an alignment. Not familiar with the area, but race tracks usually have some good shops that tend to be bad about advertising their presence on google maps (or equivalent). It seems like they have enough clientele from people breaking their cars on the track to have a need for advertising. Maybe that's an option you could explore? Otherwise, string alignments can be pretty accurate with the right tools!
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Damn, yeah that's a long drive for an alignment. Not familiar with the area, but race tracks usually have some good shops that tend to be bad about advertising their presence on google maps (or equivalent). It seems like they have enough clientele from people breaking their cars on the track to have a need for advertising. Maybe that's an option you could explore? Otherwise, string alignments can be pretty accurate with the right tools!
        I'm pretty good at using string to set toe, but what do you use to measure camber? I was thinking about getting a laser level and trying to measure the distance from a vertical line to the top and bottom of the wheel, but that assumes that the floor is level.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleSidedTape View Post

I'm pretty good at using string to set toe, but what do you use to measure camber? I was thinking about getting a laser level and trying to measure the distance from a vertical line to the top and bottom of the wheel, but that assumes that the floor is level.
          I don't use anything, not enough space lol. Just have seen others do it. And yes making sure the surface is level is super important. Most turn/slip plates seem to be adjustable to get a level surface.

timmo and Casa de Mesa (and I'm sure others) have nice setups though. Probably more fit to answer your question.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I don't use anything, not enough space lol. Just have seen others do it. And yes making sure the surface is level is super important. Most turn/slip plates seem to be adjustable to get a level surface.

timmo and Casa de Mesa (and I'm sure others) have nice setups though. Probably more fit to answer your question.
            I wouldn't say I'm more fit for anything, lol

I find camber the easiest of all 3 measurements (camber, caster, toe) to measure. It can be as simple as a 24" digital level that you hold against the wheel face (provided the level is of the right length).

However, after doing this a bunch, at one point I grabbed one of these on sale at ECS (currently "on sale" for $128):

Or with their Caster/Camber gauge for $190 - pretty good pricing actually:

Or for a less expensive camber gauge, you just need a simple magnetic level. The one I bought on Amazon is NLA apparently but this one looks decent:

Or search for "digital level magnetic" and you'll have your pick of the litter:

Here is my method:
            I wanted to share the my alignment spreadsheet with this community. It's applicable to anyone doing a string alignment at home, with whatever tools and methods you're using. I previously shared a link to a similar version in someone else's thread, but I have progressed this file a bit since then. Google docs to my setup

I need to actually write up a DIY for it, but the steps inside that spreadsheet (Google docs link) are what I follow every time.

It's a PITA to do a full alignment and definitely gets easier the more you do it, but I find it more accurate than going to a shop. It's not the $80k Hunter alignment jigs that are at some shops that are the problem, but the patience of the person doing the alignment.
            Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue​

Comment

Has anyone tried NGK Iridium IX DCPR8EIX 97181 spark plugs? Been using NGK Laser Platinum DCPR8EKP 7415 spark plugs without any issues (OE part) and "don't fix it if it isn't broken" but just curious if anyone has tried them.

I wonder if the single vs. double ground electrodes makes any difference.

edit: guess it's time to be a guinea pig!
              Last edited by zzyzx85; 04-19-2022, 01:16 PM.
              "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
              ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Having an issue with my front turn signals. Both bulbs are acting weird, working fine and then not working at all randomly, blinking at double speed for a second before going back to normal, etc... Inside of both sockets are corroded badly, and the bulb contacts look like they are melted.

I have replaced the bulbs and actual sockets some time ago, but the problem persists and comes back after a while. Any ideas on the root cause or how to diagnose this? Or do I just keep replacing the sockets and bulbs every year LOL.
                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                  Having an issue with my front turn signals. Both bulbs are acting weird, working fine and then not working at all randomly, blinking at double speed for a second before going back to normal, etc... Inside of both sockets are corroded badly, and the bulb contacts look like they are melted.

I have replaced the bulbs and actual sockets some time ago, but the problem persists and comes back after a while. Any ideas on the root cause or how to diagnose this? Or do I just keep replacing the sockets and bulbs every year LOL.
                  Does the corrosion return after replacing the terminals? If not, you'll have continue past the wiring terminals, possibly all the way to the LCM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Does the corrosion return after replacing the terminals? If not, you'll have continue past the wiring terminals, possibly all the way to the LCM.
                    I'm gonna make a thread about it. But long story short, yes it comes back and does the same thing after replacing the sockets.
                    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post
                      Has anyone tried NGK Iridium IX DCPR8EIX 97181 spark plugs? Been using NGK Laser Platinum DCPR8EKP 7415 spark plugs without any issues (OE part) and "don't fix it if it isn't broken" but just curious if anyone has tried them.

I wonder if the single vs. double ground electrodes makes any difference.

edit: guess it's time to be a guinea pig!
                      I've run the DCPR8EIX plugs in my car for 10 years with no issues.

Having an issue with my front turn signals. Both bulbs are acting weird, working fine and then not working at all randomly, blinking at double speed for a second before going back to normal, etc... Inside of both sockets are corroded badly, and the bulb contacts look like they are melted.....
                      I had the fast blink issue before. Eventually my tail lights started having issues and the warning light on the dash came on. Checked the grounds for the tail lights and they were burnt out. Fixed the grounds and somehow the fast blink went away.
                      Last edited by DJAM3; 04-20-2022, 06:44 AM.
                      2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Anthracite Impuse
                      Fabspeed Headers | Euro Sec 1 | OE Sec 2 | Scorpion Sec 3 | Beisan | Mini Battery | Fortune Auto 7k/12k | Hotchkis Front SB | Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 | Yellow Tag Rack

2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Black Nappa Leather
                      Karbonius | Supersprint | Cat Cams | Beisan | Fikse Wheels | Mile End Composites | AST 5200 | Hotchkis | Brembo | Recaro | Rouge SMF | RTD | Yellow Tag Rack | HTE Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

I wouldn't say I'm more fit for anything, lol

I find camber the easiest of all 3 measurements (camber, caster, toe) to measure. It can be as simple as a 24" digital level that you hold against the wheel face (provided the level is of the right length).

However, after doing this a bunch, at one point I grabbed one of these on sale at ECS (currently "on sale" for $128):

Or with their Caster/Camber gauge for $190 - pretty good pricing actually:

Or for a less expensive camber gauge, you just need a simple magnetic level. The one I bought on Amazon is NLA apparently but this one looks decent:

Or search for "digital level magnetic" and you'll have your pick of the litter:

Here is my method:
                        I wanted to share the my alignment spreadsheet with this community. It's applicable to anyone doing a string alignment at home, with whatever tools and methods you're using. I previously shared a link to a similar version in someone else's thread, but I have progressed this file a bit since then. Google docs to my setup

I need to actually write up a DIY for it, but the steps inside that spreadsheet (Google docs link) are what I follow every time.

It's a PITA to do a full alignment and definitely gets easier the more you do it, but I find it more accurate than going to a shop. It's not the $80k Hunter alignment jigs that are at some shops that are the problem, but the patience of the person doing the alignment.
                        Just to add to this list, I've used this tool to align 4 different cars now and I find it to be very accurate, the first 2 cars I used it on I also took in to a shop for a Pro alignment, the operator told me they were only a smidge off.
                        Features Patent pending toe stand-offs allow extremely accurate toe measurements Camber measurement is accurate to +/- 0.1 degrees Caster is measured without the need for expensive turn plates Fits 12"-22" wheels Includes 2 high resolution tape measures with 1/32in increments Degree toe alignment specs (commonly supplied by OEM's) can be used with the attached degree to inch conversion chart Specially cut slots will not let the ends of the tape measures fall out Everything snaps together for easy storage and transport Optional Alignment Specifications for vehicles produced between 1960-2014

Comment

If using a one piece strut brace (like a DMG) would losing alignment ever be a worry when removing the brace so long as the wheels are on the ground or is this a non-issue?

I would like to get a more substantial brace like a DMG, I know there are a few designs that have joints to allow for removal of just the brace portion but I'm not looking to spend that kind of $.
                          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                            If using a one piece strut brace (like a DMG) would losing alignment ever be a worry when removing the brace so long as the wheels are on the ground or is this a non-issue?

I would like to get a more substantial brace like a DMG, I know there are a few designs that have joints to allow for removal of just the brace portion but I'm not looking to spend that kind of $.
                            I wondered this myself. I would think the weight of the car would keep it from shifting when unbolted but I don't know for sure.

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal

Comment

had the fast blink issue before. Eventually my tail lights started having issues and the warning light on the dash came on. Checked the grounds for the tail lights and they were burnt out. Fixed the grounds and somehow the fast blink went away.

Where exactly are the grounds located?
                              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Where exactly are the grounds located?
                                The one in the rear is in the driver side trunk area behind the trim. It's near the shock tower iirc. There's another one up front iirc. I think it's on the passenger side behind the turn signal lamp?

build/journal

Comment

Working...
                                X