This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why?
    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
      Hey guys, Im looking to switch up my license plate and interior trunk light bulbs. Does anyone know the mm size? Some say 36mm but Im seeing different sizes all over.

Thanks.
      I know the footwell bulbs are 36mm. License plate lights are 41 or 42mm.

I switched out my footwell bulbs for red LED bulbs so they wouldn't blind me at night.
      "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
      ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

Sounds like some fuse or relay on the way out... or a CPS on the way out... but the CPS doesn't explain the momentary battery disconnect the way a failing fuse or relay might. That's about all I can think of. And a fuse or starter relay is all I'd want to invest in it at this point based upon what you've described.

maw
        Double checked all the fuses again, none are blown. Intake CPS was just done like a month ago, and there's no codes stored so I doubt it's that. Starter relay... Maybe... Although I don't have issues starting usually.
        http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
        '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

Double checked all the fuses again, none are blown. Intake CPS was just done like a month ago, and there's no codes stored so I doubt it's that. Starter relay... Maybe... Although I don't have issues starting usually.
          I’d keep a starter relay handy or throw one at it just to see if it ever happens again. Other than that I’m as stumped as you. I can’t think of what would hiccup the battery like that.

maw
          Last edited by maw1124; 10-28-2021, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Which leak causes the timing cover to be completely caked in dirt and oil?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleSidedTape View Post
              Could be a bunch of stuff. But I'd start by checking the timing chain guide bolt behind the thermostat housing, then check the VANOS gasket and then check all the other gaskets above that area.

Clean everything first and that will make it easier to spot the leak.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleSidedTape View Post
                Time for new serpentine belts too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Z3 Coupe View Post

Time for new serpentine belts too.
                  The engine is coming out and everything is getting refreshed. My last m3 had oil and grime pretty much everywhere, same with my X5, I just was wondering why this engine would be clean almost everywhere except for the timing cover.

Comment

What's considered "low mileage" for a regularly driven E46 M3 now? 16 years after the last one left the assembly line I feel like anything under 100k has been babied/stowed away...

People with air cooled 911s aren't really bothered when a car is up there in miles.

Comment

Originally posted by shibui View Post
                      What's considered "low mileage" for a regularly driven E46 M3 now? 16 years after the last one left the assembly line I feel like anything under 100k has been babied/stowed away...

People with air cooled 911s aren't really bothered when a car is up there in miles.
                      100K sounds about right to me. I personally see a big difference in the prices advertised of cars above and below the magic 100K.

Anecdotally it seems especially once a car is north of 120K, the value slides even faster in the market. Probably because lots of maintenance is theoretically coming up if you want to keep it on the road.
                      2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
                      ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Originally posted by shibui View Post

Assuming you are not referencing what a collector thinks then the answer is dependent entirely on maintenance records and how stored. No maintenance other than oil changes and a 100k miles and not garaged then that car is not low anything. Tons of maintenance and a 150k miles plus garaged then I’m fine with it.
                        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Is this an excessive amount of play in the driveshaft u-joint? Intuition tells me that it is, and as far as I’m aware, replacing the whole driveshaft is necessary but I’d like to know if I’m wrong. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Assuming you are not referencing what a collector thinks then the answer is dependent entirely on maintenance records and how stored. No maintenance other than oil changes and a 100k miles and not garaged then that car is not low anything. Tons of maintenance and a 150k miles plus garaged then I’m fine with it.
                            +1

What he said
                            Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

How common is it for the coolant bleeder screw to break? Is it more likely to break on its own or when being used?
                              "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                              ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

It's plastic, so it can get brittle, and then break when you move it. It's vestigial, and should be left alone.
                                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                                X