This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
    Has anyone purchased from ZNMPerformance located in NJ? Looks like they have lifetime warranty similar to FCP, free ship, and so on. Might give them a go on my next order.
    They have the best price I can find for a dinan front bar for my E90 but it's the first time they've popped up in a search for me.. deciding if I should just send it and find out.

Comment

What is everyone using to properly torque the upper rear caliper slide pin?

I'm using the stubby VIM tools 3/8" drive 7mm bit socket to remove and tighten the pins, but there isn't enough clearance between the shock and my torque wrench+VIM socket to properly torque the pin. Using a fixed head CDI micro style torque wrench here. So, I've got a combination of crows feet that might get it done, or maybe there is another socket with a longer 7mm bit that can be used? Interested to hear what others do here. I just tightened it down by feel and so far so good, but--that's not the spec so I want to do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
        What is everyone using to properly torque the upper rear caliper slide pin?

I'm using the stubby VIM tools 3/8" drive 7mm bit socket to remove and tighten the pins, but there isn't enough clearance between the shock and my torque wrench+VIM socket to properly torque the pin. Using a fixed head CDI micro style torque wrench here. So, I've got a combination of crows feet that might get it done, or maybe there is another socket with a longer 7mm bit that can be used? Interested to hear what others do here. I just tightened it down by feel and so far so good, but--that's not the spec so I want to do it right.
        Remove the lower shock bolt and move the shock out of the way or torque by feel. I usually torque the bottom bolt and use that as a sort of reference for how tight the top one needs to be
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Remove the lower shock bolt and move the shock out of the way or torque by feel. I usually torque the bottom bolt and use that as a sort of reference for how tight the top one needs to be
          That was my thinking as well, to your latter point.

Comment

For anyone who's done Rod bearings diy: how necessary is the crankshaft adapter tool? this thing is another 80 bucks on FCP https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-83300491056

Wondering if there's a less expensive alternative that works here.

Comment

Originally posted by bavarian3 View Post
              For anyone who's done Rod bearings diy: how necessary is the crankshaft adapter tool? this thing is another 80 bucks on FCP https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-83300491056

Wondering if there's a less expensive alternative that works here.
              32 or 36 (I forget which) on the crank pulley. I don’t know if some s54s don’t have the bolt part but I’ve never needed that tool.

Comment

Some S54s just have a regular 32mm hex bolt. My 08/2004 does. I think some of the earlier ones have the 4 bolt pulley.

From memory there is some other socket (maybe that's the 36mm?) that fits over the 4 smaller heads and does the job.

Comment

Hey guys,
                  Planning on doing my waterpump and thermostat. FCP currently has a kit on sale for $289 shipped (Geba) - Should I run with that deal or spend more money and get an OEM pump? Thanks
                  2003.5 BMW M3 Carbon Schwarz Metallic/Cinnamon 6 Speed – HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | AA Headers | AA Section 1 | SS Resonated Section 2 | SS Race Section 3 | TMS V2 CSL Airbox | TMS Street Plates | Ohlin’s R&T Coilovers | Ground Control Front and Rear Sways | Ground Control Adjustable Camber Arms | DMG Autosport Pro46R | FreakyParts BBK Front | Porsche 996 Conversion Rear | CMP Stage 1 + 1.5 Reinforcement Plates | CMP Subframe Bushings | CMP RTAB’s | SGT CSL Bumper | SGT CSL Trunk | Dr VANOS

Comment

Originally posted by Acarv_426 View Post
                    Hey guys,
                    Planning on doing my waterpump and thermostat. FCP currently has a kit on sale for $289 shipped (Geba) - Should I run with that deal or spend more money and get an OEM pump? Thanks
                    I'll be going with OE BMW when I do mine. My mechanic told me he's seen the Geba pumps start to weep not long after warranty is over. The composite impeller of the OEM BMW pump puts less stress on the bearing, so the pump lasts longer.

I noticed that Gates sells a waterpump that has a composite impeller but given Gates' recent reputation, i'll avoid it.
                    "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                    ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post
                      I noticed that Gates sells a waterpump that has a composite impeller but given Gates' recent reputation, i'll avoid it.
                      Interesting. What's Gates's recent rep? Not trying to challenge; just genuinely curious.
                      2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                      Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                      Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
                        Interesting. What's Gates's recent rep? Not trying to challenge; just genuinely curious.
                        Not sure it would apply to a BMW water pump but they used to produce their own parts or sourced from OEMs but lately they've been sourcing parts from China. With Subarus, the Gates idler pulleys in their timing kits do not meet OE specs and fail prematurely.

"your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                        ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post

Not sure it would apply to a BMW water pump but they used to produce their own parts or sourced from OEMs but lately they've been sourcing parts from China. With Subarus, the Gates idler pulleys in their timing kits do not meet OE specs and fail prematurely.

https://youtu.be/7qYmNXOhn_o
                          Oof. That sucks. Thanks for sharing.
                          2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                          Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                          Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleSidedTape View Post

32 or 36 (I forget which) on the crank pulley. I don’t know if some s54s don’t have the bolt part but I’ve never needed that tool.
                            Its a 32mm but that's just a cover over the 4 bolts that actually hold the damper to the crank.

The realoem diagram shows it pretty well.

As far as I know all S54's should have it since it says its supposed to be on engines from 01/2001

Comment

Originally posted by PHNX636 View Post

Its a 32mm but that's just a cover over the 4 bolts that actually hold the damper to the crank.

The realoem diagram shows it pretty well.

As far as I know all S54's should have it since it says its supposed to be on engines from 01/2001

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_2997
                              Yea, that’s why I don’t get why you would need the crank turning tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerdude View Post

They have the best price I can find for a dinan front bar for my E90 but it's the first time they've popped up in a search for me.. deciding if I should just send it and find out.
                                Well, I put an order in on 5/7 for a smallish part, and as of today, still no movement. Sent an inquiry, we'll see what happens. If not for the fact the price was 3x less than FCP, I'd have had the part by now from FCP. Maybe don't order from them if you really need something??

EDIT: Finally arrived, exactly what I ordered and fantastic price. So, I'll order from them again for sure!
                                Last edited by PSUEng; 05-17-2023, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X