Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do all E86 (2006-2008) Z4Ms have the same rear brake calipers as a ZCP/CSL E46 M3? i.e black calipers with 46mm pistons (vs standard M3 42mm)? This is what I had read and researched looking to upgrade to ZCP rear brakes, but I just got a set of rear calipers from a 2006 Z4M I bought on eBay and the pistons are 42mm (pics below)... look exactly the same as my standard 2004 M3s rear brakes...

So is it just some years of the Z4M or did this seller screw up? I figured maybe they sent me standard M3 rear brakes, but the carriers/brackets seem to be different from the E46 ones and the brakes are painted gloss black... (third pic is from ebay listing showing carriers and complete brakes)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0745.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.5 KB ID:	203068 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0748.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.4 KB ID:	203069 Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 ebay.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	203070
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BigRussia; 01-30-2023, 06:12 AM.
    2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
    Instagram
    Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by BigRussia View Post
      Do all E86 (2006-2008) Z4Ms have the same rear brake calipers as a ZCP/CSL E46 M3? i.e black calipers with 46mm pistons (vs standard M3 42mm)? This is what I had read and researched looking to upgrade to ZCP rear brakes, but I just got a set of rear calipers from a 2006 Z4M I bought on eBay and the pistons are 42m... look exactly the same as my standard 2004 M3s rear brakes...

So is it just some years of the Z4M or did this seller screw up? I figured maybe they sent me standard M3 rear brakes, yet the calipers came with very different carriers/brackets from the E46 ones and are painted gloss black...
      I purchased a set of FR/RR Z4M calipers w/brackets earlier last year and rebuilt them with the same upgrade intent; I found the rear pistons to be 46mm as evidenced by the rebuild kits I used. So, maybe your seller did in fact make a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

I purchased a set of FR/RR Z4M calipers w/brackets earlier last year and rebuilt them with the same upgrade intent; I found the rear pistons to be 46mm as evidenced by the rebuild kits I used. So, maybe your seller did in fact make a mistake.
        Thanks for confirming! Yeah I was confused cause initially I was certain the carriers they came were not from a E46, but checking some pics online seems they could be E46 M3 rear carriers. That along with them being gloss black with the //M embossing really had me scratching my head what these are from at first though. So yeah I'm pretty certain now these are a regular E46 M3 rear brakes and a previous owner did a really good paint job on them.

I already contacted the seller telling him these are incorrect and not from a Z4M, hes going to check for the correct pair and if not I'm returning.
        Last edited by BigRussia; 01-29-2023, 11:44 AM.
        Instagram
        Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by BigRussia View Post

Thanks for confirming! Yeah I was confused cause initially I was certain the carriers they came were not from a E46, but checking some pics online seems they could be E46 M3 rear carriers. That along with them being gloss black with the //M embossing really had me scratching my head what these are from at first though. So yeah I'm pretty certain now these are a regular E46 M3 rear brakes and a previous owner did a really good paint job on them.

I already contacted the seller telling him these are incorrect and not from a Z4M, hes going to check for the correct pair and if not I'm returning.
          One way to tell, if I recall, is to look at the dust boot. On the ZCP/Z4M/CSL w/46mm piston, the boot is a press-on type with integrated crush ring as opposed to a somewhat "insert fit" (same as front caliper dust boot--it just fits inside a circular profile on the caliper housing--easy install) on the 42mm standard caliper. If you tear into a set to rebuild and need some insight, feel free to IM me I rebuilt the front and rears and learned quite a bit. The rear ZCP caliper boots require a knack and "special" tool (in my case, a cut off shop vac attachment) to get that boot on--but you only get one shot. I had a thread on here with my rebuild but haven't updated it--I probably should. Below is a photo of the ZCP/Z4M/CSL boot I'm referring to...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7335.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	202991

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

One way to tell, if I recall, is to look at the dust boot. On the ZCP/Z4M/CSL w/46mm piston, the boot is a press-on type with integrated crush ring as opposed to a somewhat "insert fit" (same as front caliper dust boot--it just fits inside a circular profile on the caliper housing--easy install) on the 42mm standard caliper. If you tear into a set to rebuild and need some insight, feel free to IM me I rebuilt the front and rears and learned quite a bit. The rear ZCP caliper boots require a knack and "special" tool (in my case, a cut off shop vac attachment) to get that boot on--but you only get one shot. I had a thread on here with my rebuild but haven't updated it--I probably should. Below is a photo of the ZCP/Z4M/CSL boot I'm referring to...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7335.jpg Views:	27 Size:	92.2 KB ID:	202991
            Awesome stuff, yeah that was the one thing I was looking at in pics to compare the two caliper types, the thinner looking seal on the ZCP/Z4M's bigger diameter 46mm piston. The seal looks thinner and closer to the caliper housing bore compared to the double lip look of the standard 42mm pistons, so thanks for confirming that! I am actually looking to rebuild a spare reman front brake caliper with new ATE seals as a project, so I will def hit you up if I run into any issues with that.

I'm convinced these eBay rear brakes I received are from a standard E46 M3 and a previous owner of them just did a good gloss black paint job. Dunno how the seller mixed them up as being E86 Z4M ones, but they seem to be a big junkyard business account so happens I guess. (pics attached from the ebay listing)

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 ebay2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.9 KB ID:	203072 Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 ebay3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.6 KB ID:	203073
            Instagram
            Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
              I'm a part finder extraordinaire.

That is to say, I don't remember

Probably looked at all the images of electrical grommets/insulators in realOEM, and tried various part numbers in google till I found the one that looked most like the one we all have (right side). Ordered it, and it fit.
              Yep. BTDT. Got a t-shirt perhaps somewhere.....

Mike
              02 M3 Titanium Silver/Black
              11 Tundra SuperWhite/Black
              16 X5

Comment

Originally posted by BMWE46M3 View Post
                There are two plugs that insert into the headlight control module as shown in the attached image. One of mine has a rubber grommet over it (Part # 12521737944) as shown in the image below, but the smaller plug does not have a rubber cover. I would like to buy one and it appears to be different from the one shown and I can't seem to identify the part number. Does anyone know? Thanks..

Name:	image.png
Views:	437
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	202667
                Fun fact. Some cars had the cover installed; some did not. No rhyme or reason why. It drove me nuts so just like Tbone I found the correct part number (his is correct).

Mike
                02 M3 Titanium Silver/Black
                11 Tundra SuperWhite/Black
                16 X5

Comment

Hey Group,

Installing a slick top headliner and want to do something about my sun visors. They are a little faded and have a warning sticker on them thats chipping and peeling. Hoping to avoid removing the sticker and potentially damaging them further.

I noticed the convertibles M3’s have leather visors, although they appear to be the wrong shape entirely . Are there any retrofits or direct fit visors that I could pickup to replace my current visors that do not have the warning sticker on them? If not, I may risk removing the warning sticker and hope for the best.
                  '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by AWE46M3 View Post
                    Hey Group,

Installing a slick top headliner and want to do something about my sun visors. They are a little faded and have a warning sticker on them thats chipping and peeling. Hoping to avoid removing the sticker and potentially damaging them further.

I noticed the convertibles M3’s have leather visors, although they appear to be the wrong shape entirely . Are there any retrofits or direct fit visors that I could pickup to replace my current visors that do not have the warning sticker on them? If not, I may risk removing the warning sticker and hope for the best.
                    Not sure what to tell you about the fading other than using some fabric spray paint if it really that bad. I’ve had good success using SEM spray paint in my M5 alcantara rear deck that got super faded. You can find it on Amazon. The alternative is to find a used set in better condition.

SEM 15013 Landau Black Color Coat - 12 oz. https://a.co/d/8Bxicet

You can remove the airbag stickers pretty easily. I soaked a paper towel in Goo Gone and laid it in top of the sticker for about 3-4 mins. You need all that time to let the solvent soak into the sticker. If will peel right off afterwards with little to no residue. See post 6 in the link below. This worked really well for me.

2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

Not sure what to tell you about the fading other than using some fabric spray paint if it really that bad. I’ve had good success using SEM spray paint in my M5 alcantara rear deck that got super faded. You can find it on Amazon. The alternative is to find a used set in better condition.

SEM 15013 Landau Black Color Coat - 12 oz. https://a.co/d/8Bxicet

You can remove the airbag stickers pretty easily. I soaked a paper towel in Goo Gone and laid it in top of the sticker for about 3-4 mins. You need all that time to let the solvent soak into the sticker. If will peel right off afterwards with little to no residue. See post 6 in the link below. This worked really well for me.

https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...nvisor.598724/

Thanks man. A little concerned about the goo gone eating the glue holding the material to the visor. Did you run into any issues with that?

Comment

Originally posted by AWE46M3 View Post

Thanks man. A little concerned about the goo gone eating the glue holding the material to the visor. Did you run into any issues with that?
                        I kept the Goo Gone in for 3 mins exactly and haven’t had any issues.
                        2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Long shot, but anyone know how to remove the trim clips for the trim around the hardtop on a convertible? Have to assume it pries straight out given the square head, but I found the new part on ECS and it looks threaded. Figured I'd ask before I break it considering the stupid high cost of every trim piece on this thing. Trim removal on the coupes doesn't seem to be the same from the videos I've found.

Don't mind the dirt 🤢 Wanted to get everything removed before cleaning it up.

Name:	IMG_4694.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	204536

Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-07 125944.png
Views:	202
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	204535

Comment

nevermind, figured out they're threaded and held on from the back by this little round nut #54218270150​.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-07 134356.png
Views:	182
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	204540

Comment

Anyone know what this part number is? There is no part listed on real OEM. Mine is pretty beat.

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...nvisor.598724/
                                YMMV but this "technique" ruined my good condition visors and left sticker residue all over them. Once the sticker falls apart when peeling, it's nearly impossible to make it look good.

Vert visors don't fit. The best plug and play alternative is vinyl sedan visors with the mirror light. I imagine the adhesive is easier to remove from vinyl as well. E36 coupe visors have the screws and tabs in the correct place but idk about wiring for the lights. All the euro stuff comes without a sticker. I picked up a set on ebay to replace my goo'd ones
                                Last edited by discoelk; 02-09-2023, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X