Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which cordless battery powered ratchet? At soon to be 53 its time for me to buy one or two lol. I was working on a different car this past weekend and I've never been so sore and beat up. I keep myself in shape, but it is time.

So what's the move? Multiple for different scenarios? I'm not worried about cost other than like most I enjoy a good value if there is such a thing.
    Last edited by oceansize; 07-31-2024, 03:45 AM.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
      Which cordless battery powered ratchet? At soon to be 53 its time for me to buy one or two lol. I was working on a different car this past weekend and I've never been so sore and beat up. I keep myself in shape, but it is time.

So what's the move? Multiple for different scenarios? I'm not worried about cost other than like most I enjoy a good value if there is such a thing.
      Not many options from what I've seen in the past, but may be things have changed. I think the only game in town is really the Milwaukee M12 3/8" extended reach ratchet. I like DeWalt, but they don't make a good version.
      /// 2004 SG/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ugaexploder View Post

Not many options from what I've seen in the past, but may be things have changed. I think the only game in town is really the Milwaukee M12 3/8" extended reach ratchet. I like DeWalt, but they don't make a good version.
        I recently got the DeWalt one, and it's fine. Probably would have gotten the Milwaukee one but I'm way too deep into DeWalt and all their 20v batteries to switch at this point.

Comment

You're right, not many options now that I'm looking around. Milwaukee it is.
          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by bagger View Post

I recently got the DeWalt one, and it's fine. Probably would have gotten the Milwaukee one but I'm way too deep into DeWalt and all their 20v batteries to switch at this point.
            I hear ya, I have mainly a DeWalt battery ecosystem too with more of their chargers and batteries but I think their ratchet uses the same type of battery which ironically enough was the dealbreaker for me due to just size and weight. I bet the DeWalt has more power, but the M12 Milwaukee batteries are so lightweight and small.

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

You're right, not many options now that I'm looking around. Milwaukee it is.
            FWIW, I actually looked in the garage and went with the 1/4" version due to it being a little longer. I'm not sure if that was the right call, but it looked better at the time lol.

Comment

I have mainly a DeWalt battery ecosystem too with more of their chargers and batteries but I think their ratchet uses the same type of battery which ironically enough was the dealbreaker for me due to just size and weight.
              Aren't there different battery sizes that use the same connection? I went for the big bulky ones but my brother got one that's much thinner.
              2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
              Slicktop, no iDrive | Ă–hlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
              Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
                Aren't there different battery sizes that use the same connection? I went for the big bulky ones but my brother got one that's much thinner.
                Yep, but I find even with the smaller 2Ah ones still carry a similar bulk to them, just a bit shorter with the same connection type. I have all sorts of DeWalt batteries over the years just buying their stuff (2, 4, 5, 6, and even the newer powerstack ones) but they all have that same square size.

It's weird though because I have a gyroscopic DeWalt screwdriver just for light-duty stereo type work, and it uses a smaller battery similar to that of the M12 from Milwaukee...It would be cool if they could use the battery from the gyroscopic one for an impact ratchet.

Comment

oceansize

something to go along with that ratchet...i really want one, it just came out

Comment

While replacing the clutch found the pressure plate bolts installed with red Loctite. Well I found the red Loctite after completely rounding out the second bolt. Picked up the first bolt and started cussing. Thanks Active Autowerke for another shite performance. Now going to have to torch them out.
                    I’m going to rotate the flywheel / engine to get the bolts at the 6 o’clock position so I don’t set the car on fire.
                    So my dumb question is: which way is ok to rotate the engine? Engine is full of oil.

Mike
                    02 M3 Titanium Silver/Black
                    11 Tundra SuperWhite/Black
                    16 X5

Comment

CW looking at the engine from the front (accessory belt side)
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                        CW looking at the engine from the front (accessory belt side)
                        Thanks!

Mike
                        16 X5

Comment

Originally posted by nuc1 View Post
                          While replacing the clutch found the pressure plate bolts installed with red Loctite. Well I found the red Loctite after completely rounding out the second bolt.
                          I may be late here, but also make sure the hex of the bolt is cleaned out. They cavity can get packed with clutch dust which will prevent the socket from bottoming out in the bolt head increasing the risk of stripping (happens to me all the time if I'm not paying attention). Also make sure you have a crisp 6mm allen socket, I have one that's slightly worn and if I use that one its often a sure strip. If that happens you can likely hammer a T45 socket into the 6mm allen bolt and proceed with that.
                          Last edited by George Hill; 08-07-2024, 11:24 AM. Reason: Holy cow there were some typos in this reply.
                          '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
                          Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                          Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

I may be late here, but also make sure the hex of the bolt is cleaned out. They cavity can get packed with brake dust which will prevent the socket from bottoming out in the bolt head increasing the risk of stripping (happens to me all the time if I'm not paying attention). Also make sure you have a crisp 6mm allen socket, I have worn thats slightly worn and if I use its often a sure strip. If that happens you can likely hammer a T45 socket into the 6mm allen bolt and proceed with that.
                            Haven’t started taking them out yet due to life etc etc.

This is some great advice. Thanks.

Mike
                            16 X5

Comment

When changing out a section 1 from the exhaust system are there any gaskets between the headers and section 1 and/or between section 1 and section 2 that should be replaced?

Comment

Originally posted by Bent_Remy View Post
                                When changing out a section 1 from the exhaust system are there any gaskets between the headers and section 1 and/or between section 1 and section 2 that should be replaced?
                                Technically, gaskets on both sides of the section 1 should be replaced as they deform when tightening down the section 1, but I have seen a few instances where they are reused if they are in good condition or were recently replaced. If there is an exhaust leak, removing the section 1 is pretty easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X