This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
    Can I get the best link to high quality DIY brake caliper painting? On the fence as to whether I farm this out if take a crack at it.
    I used Duplicolor caliper spray on the ZCP set I just finished rebuilding and I am very pleased with how they turned out. Now, I can't speak to the longevity of the finish, or how it might turn out on a non-ZCP set (i.e., not pre-painted).

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
      Every set of headers has bungs for primary o2s, at a minimum. Some have a second set of bungs for secondaries as well, not to mention one for egt.

Not sure what you're asking. Primary o2s have nowt to do with emissions.

Think you need to clarify.
      you answered my question. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by S54.sueño View Post

Just got them. The box looked good, each bearing has the ACL logo as well as some sort of part number stamped on. Pretty happy with them. One thing that did throw me off was that the main bearings' box did not include s54 in the list of applications. then I found out BMW uses the same main bearings on a lot of different models from a 316i to the M3. Who would've thought?
        good to hear. I recently just bought ACL main and rod bearings from hack engineering and redline 360, respectively. I shopped Amazon, as well, but chickened out bc I was afraid they’d be fake and having never seen them in person before I couldn’t verify.

after looking at the seller on Amazon (located in San Diego) they seem pretty legit. Good to know!

another, favorable note about ACL is people use and love them in the K20 Honda world. A high revving, demanding and well designed engine. Gives me faith for their use in our motors!

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
          Can I get the best link to high quality DIY brake caliper painting? On the fence as to whether I farm this out if take a crack at it.
          I used Testor's (model paint) as they can withstand high temps. Going on 18 years and still looking good.
          17 iO1 i3
          16 F22 M235i
          08 E93 M3
          04 E46 M3 Carbon Schwarz - SMG II - Discovery Automotive tuned - AFE Stage 2 - SS Stepped - SS Metallic Cats - Eisenmann X-pipe - SS Race - 4.10 - ACS CF lip - 6000K Heads & Fogs - Tein S

Comment

What's the most effective method (other than replacement) to get rid of this corrosion?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220830_213501.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	182587
            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
            Instagram

Comment

How do you know when spherical bearings/mono ball bearings in coilover top mounts are worn? Are brand new top mounts difficult to move back and forth?
              Last edited by toy4to; 08-31-2022, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Post #920
                Dremel and appropriate sized scotch Brite
                2004 M3 Mystic Blue

Comment

Originally posted by toy4to View Post
                  How do you know when spherical bearings/mono ball bearings in coilover top mounts are worn? Are brand new top mounts difficult to move back and forth?
                  When they're new, they can be stiff, but if they're not new, then prob bad if they are really stiff; stiff like stuck not stiff and smooth. Could be a lack of leverage to move them around on your part, though. If they're bad, that means no lube so if should feel "dry" or there's wear and they're loose, tick tock.

You won't be able to recreate movement as well with them just in your hands.

If these are already on the car, I wouldn't sweat it too much unless you can plainly tell (or hear) that they're bad - they don't do much. The amount of movement is very small - we're not talking cv joints or RBs. And the mass + inertia of that corner compressing will always be able to move them even if they are stiff.

I would guess noise is the first symptom and/or a knock felt through the cabin/wheel.
                  DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                  /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                  More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Ok, in this installment of Help Me Build an Engine in My Garage we have a ring discovery and a question.

I bought and am using the NPR rings in the OE size. As seen here where I bought them: https://www.hackengineering.co.uk/pr...-ring-set-s54/.

They also come with an authentication code and so I believe them to be genuine. Many people on the UK forums use them and many believe them to be the OE rings.

Here is the discovery/discrepancy/whatever. Ring #1, the top ring, is a slightly different dimension in the X direction. See below - it is 0.5mm less than the original ring.

After some measurements of the ramp and the bore vs piston spacing at the ring location I'm seeing the following differences in the amount of ring that touches the ring land in the piston:
                    Old = 2.84 mm of ring touching the ring land
                    New = 2.53 mm of ring touching the ring land

This equates to about 11% less ring-to-ringland support.

So, would this bother you? Should I email everyone in the world?

Bonus Stat if you made it this far... at 211,000 miles the OE ring #1 had worn from a factory-new spec of 0.2 - 0.35 to 0.6! So yeah, if you have high mileage, you also have about double the ring gap you should and are losing some very real sealing power. Ring #2 was also about double the spec'd gap.

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post
                      Ok, in this installment of Help Me Build an Engine in My Garage we have a ring discovery and a question.

I bought and am using the NPR rings in the OE size. As seen here where I bought them: https://www.hackengineering.co.uk/pr...-ring-set-s54/.

They also come with an authentication code and so I believe them to be genuine. Many people on the UK forums use them and many believe them to be the OE rings.

Here is the discovery/discrepancy/whatever. Ring #1, the top ring, is a slightly different dimension in the X direction. See below - it is 0.5mm less than the original ring.

After some measurements of the ramp and the bore vs piston spacing at the ring location I'm seeing the following differences in the amount of ring that touches the ring land in the piston:

Bonus Stat if you made it this far... at 211,000 miles the OE ring #1 had worn from a factory-new spec of 0.2 - 0.35 to 0.6! So yeah, if you have high mileage, you also have about double the ring gap you should and are losing some very real sealing power. Ring #2 was also about double the spec'd gap.
                      Try emailing hack engineering or asking on m3cutters.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

When they're new, they can be stiff, but if they're not new, then prob bad if they are really stiff; stiff like stuck not stiff and smooth. Could be a lack of leverage to move them around on your part, though. If they're bad, that means no lube so if should feel "dry" or there's wear and they're loose, tick tock.

You won't be able to recreate movement as well with them just in your hands.

If these are already on the car, I wouldn't sweat it too much unless you can plainly tell (or hear) that they're bad - they don't do much. The amount of movement is very small - we're not talking cv joints or RBs. And the mass + inertia of that corner compressing will always be able to move them even if they are stiff.

I would guess noise is the first symptom and/or a knock felt through the cabin/wheel.
                        My BCs don't even appear to have a bearing, it's just the spring against the underside of the camber plate, everytime I back out of the garge and make a small turn a distinct "knock" can be heard/felt, likely from this setup.

I am so uneducated in suspension setups, I want a better set of coils without losing my nice lowered stance but I know it's give and take there.
                        2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                        Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                        Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                        RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                        Instagram

Comment

I'm unfamiliar with BC, but perhaps a different set of camber plates is all you need (if any will play nice with BC's strut shaft). If you're happy with the springs/dampers themselves?

There are two actions going on though, I'm not sure which BC is lacking, but it sounds like the twist of the springs. I can't imagine they don't have a center bearing or rubber/poly bushing for the strut shaft.
                          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

My BCs don't even appear to have a bearing, it's just the spring against the underside of the camber plate, everytime I back out of the garge and make a small turn a distinct "knock" can be heard/felt, likely from this setup.

I am so uneducated in suspension setups, I want a better set of coils without losing my nice lowered stance but I know it's give and take there.
                            There has to be a bearing in the plate to allow articulation of the shaft. You're probably experiencing spring bind when you steer, but it could be something else too.
                            2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

for those that find this post in the future.

I reached out to Hack engineering out do the UK, the company that sold me these and regularly installs them. This is the way they are designed and they are fine to be installed. They are slightly different than stock, but have presented no problems after countless installs for Hack.

Comment

for those that find this post in the future.

I reached out to Hack engineering out do the UK, the company that sold me these and regularly installs them. This is the way they are designed and they are fine to be installed. They are slightly different than stock, but have presented no problems after countless installs for Hack.

Thanks for the update. Will probably be going this route when I do my engine build, so good to know.
                                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X