Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see no issues running the zimmermans. They may even stay rust free on the hats and vanes longer then OEM with the new aluminum paint they use.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
      Hi guys, just a dummy check question. Do we have any issues with running Zimmerman "OE" rotors vs actual BMW OEM rotors? The coating is slightly different looking, and they don't say "BMW" on them. Otherwise I believe they are identical. Just LMK if I'm missing something.
      I'm using Zimmerman's on the rear of my ZHP and they're fine. Like jayjaya29 mentioned the coating helps with the unswept area remaining rust free. Have a pair of Zimmerman's for the fronts that I need to install soon. Good quality and a less expensive alternative.

Keep in mind my car's not a track toy, just a DD, so I'm not sure how they'll hold up under hard usage on track.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
        Hi guys, just a dummy check question. Do we have any issues with running Zimmerman "OE" rotors vs actual BMW OEM rotors? The coating is slightly different looking, and they don't say "BMW" on them. Otherwise I believe they are identical. Just LMK if I'm missing something.
        If you look at a pictures of both genuine and Zimmerman ZCP rotors on ECS, all the key features look identical. It says on their website that the rotors have been made in the same factory in Germany for more than 60 years - https://zimmermann-bremsen.shop/eng/

Just like Textar makes the pads for BMW and Porsche, it seems Zimmerman is contracted to make the performance/sport rotors. To sell to the aftermarket, they don't include the BMW logo and choose to coat the whole rotor.

Comment

Genuine rotors are ATE I'm pretty sure. At least for the cross drilled Euro variants.

Comment

Right on, thanks guys
            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

If you look at a pictures of both genuine and Zimmerman ZCP rotors on ECS, all the key features look identical. It says on their website that the rotors have been made in the same factory in Germany for more than 60 years - https://zimmermann-bremsen.shop/eng/

Just like Textar makes the pads for BMW and Porsche, it seems Zimmerman is contracted to make the performance/sport rotors. To sell to the aftermarket, they don't include the BMW logo and choose to coat the whole rotor.
              Genuine rotors are ATE.

The zimmerman's do look pretty identical, at least besides the duller/grey coating. My issue with zimmerman is that they cost the same (actually more the last time I ordered). The only good reason to deviate from Genuine BMW (OE) is to save money.
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Genuine rotors are ATE.

The zimmerman's do look pretty identical, at least besides the duller/grey coating. My issue with zimmerman is that they cost the same (actually more the last time I ordered). The only good reason to deviate from Genuine BMW (OE) is to save money.
                Is there a stamp ATE on the genuine ZCP rotors? I know ATE makes the calipers as there is a clear stamp on that.

Edit: Last set of Genuine BMW non-ZCP rear rotors I checked were not stamped ATE on them.
                Last edited by Slideways; 10-11-2023, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Genuine rotors are ATE.

I've seen the price fluctuate as well, but right now they are a little cheaper
                  http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                  '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                  '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Is there a stamp ATE on the genuine ZCP rotors? I know ATE makes the calipers as there is a clear stamp on that.

Edit: Last set of Genuine BMW non-ZCP rear rotors I checked were not stamped ATE on them.
                    There is an "ATE" engraving in the bell.
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
                      Isn't another liability of RTV that it's more prone to misapplication, which could mean some would get into the moving parts?
                      A smooth, even layer covering the entire diff cover sealing surface prevents this issue. It works well and it seals everywhere, no matter what. I learned that from an old Goldmeister Porsche tech. The man had probably resealed hundreds of engines. The guy remembered all the torque specs for an entire 993 engine. Nonetheless, I resealed my diff cover and removing the paper gasket was an absolute pain. At least RTV just requires a razor blade. No leaks after 3 years.
                      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I'm am looking to replace fog lights as my originals are quite weathered but noticed that OE stuff is quite expensive.

I am looking at these Morimotos, I would like to know if the factory trim ring fits over them so they don't as aftermarket. Also if there are any big issues using them in general.

2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                        Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                        Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                        RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                        Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                          I'm am looking to replace fog lights as my originals are quite weathered but noticed that OE stuff is quite expensive.

I am looking at these Morimotos, I would like to know if the factory trim ring fits over them so they don't as aftermarket. Also if there are any big issues using them in general.

+1 for Morimoto. Factory trim fits perfect. I think it looks better than stock.

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post

+1 for Morimoto. Factory trim fits perfect. I think it looks better than stock.

Nice, thanks for the info, I'll give them a try, about $175 vs. $375 for OE BMW.
                            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                            Instagram

Comment

How susceptible to damage--specifically internally--are axles during shipping if say, they are so poorly packaged that they bang on each other, bust through the outer box, and sustain damage such that the metal flanges are dinged and the black finish is removed? Splines and threads appear fine. Asking for a friend...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Damaged_2.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	238133
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Damaged_3.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	238135
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by PSUEng; 10-15-2023, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Could a dead battery cause misfire issues afterwards? Anyone had this happen specifically w/ the AntiGravity ATX-30 w/ the Restart feature?

Dead battery this morning, do the Restart feature, car started up fine but been dealing with misfiring issues since, more evident at low rpms (happened after a wot pull on hwy onramp corner). Pulled below codes, nothing changed on car recently other than BBK install n power bled brakes. After clearing and charging battery a bit, test drove and car broke up worse at WOT and SES light, had to limp at 3k couldn't go higher, now pulled only one cyl 6 code (201 now instead of 210).
                                Fuel tank was at 1/4 when happened if matters, but not very old fuel (maybe 2 months max). Had put fresh gas before I got home and pulled the first set of codes.
                                Attached Files
                                2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
                                Instagram
                                Youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X