This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bavarian3 View Post
    ​Does anyone know the part numbers of these two beauty covers? Having trouble finding on realoem

Edit found em:
    It's 9 and 10.
    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by cornerbalanced View Post
      I will be replacing my diff bushings soon. Does anyone have a parts number last handy of the diff bolts & nuts I will need to replace while doing the bushings? I looked on realoem and didn’t find much success, I also remember some of the bolts being updated which was not reflected in realoem.
      If you are replacing the cover, you need that, the gasket, the updated bolts for rear mounts (23-00-1-222-891) and if you are doing the front bush, you could replace that bolt if needed as well. Real OEM is pretty clear on the P/Ns--I used that for my rear diff cover/front diff bush replacement parts list.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

If you are replacing the cover, you need that, the gasket, the updated bolts for rear mounts (23-00-1-222-891) and if you are doing the front bush, you could replace that bolt if needed as well. Real OEM is pretty clear on the P/Ns--I used that for my rear diff cover/front diff bush replacement parts list.
        can't rtv be used ?

Comment

can't rtv be used ?
          Yes. Many of us prefer it.
          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Appreciate it. Realoem doesn’t show quantities, and is rather unclear to someone that doesn’t have the most knowledge.

Replacing with AKG bushings, so will not need the cover. From what I understand, I will need:

1x 33177840535 (large bolt for front bushing)
            2x 23001222891 (torx looking bolts for cover)

And that should be it? 3 bolts total?

Comment

Yeah 3 total. Two for the cover and one for the front.

Also, unsolicited advice, but highly advice against poly bushings. They're LOUD. And not in a cool "racecar, straight cut gears" way. At 70-80 mph, it's just a single high pitched tone resonating non stop in the cabin.

Get the E36 bushings if you don't want to replace the entire cover. You can press them in pretty easily with the diff out of the car. Keep in mind that they're slightly shorter than the cover, so make sure they're flush with the back (face facing the front of the car with diff installed) of the cover. Part number 33171134872. Front diff bushing you can just replace with OE.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

can't rtv be used ?
                I had my shop do my diff cover b/c I had no time for it, and I ordered the paper gasket and they put it in. Now, if I recall they may have ran a thin bead of "RTV"--exactly what sealer, I don't know--but it's holding fine. So I can't speak from first hand experience here unfortunately. I'd guess that the diff design employs the paper gasket as a matter of serviceability in that you aren't having to scrape off old RTV when the diffs are overhauled, which, seems to me, BMW planned on as a matter of bushings wearing, or the diff itself requiring a cover-off service. Just my thought.

Comment

Loctite 5970 is great for the diff. cover, and plenty of others things.
                  You'll want to torque the bolts fairly quickly, you really don't need to wait for it to "tack up" like store bought RTV according to the instructions.
                  2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                  Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                  Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                  RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                  Instagram

Comment

can't rtv be used ?
                    RTV is supposed to be used. The paper gasket is still made but BMW has since gone away from this says to use RTV. All modern cars have RTV only. Seems to work better as diff cover leaks are not something I see really ever unless it's an E46.
                    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

RTV is supposed to be used. The paper gasket is still made but BMW has since gone away from this says to use RTV. All modern cars have RTV only. Seems to work better as diff cover leaks are not something I see really ever unless it's an E46.
                      True. But on the next disassembly, one must scrape off old RTV and surface prep accordingly. In my industry, RTV is used, and it's due to cost--cheaper than gasket. But in the field, is it really better...

Comment

Originally posted by cornerbalanced View Post

Appreciate it. Realoem doesn’t show quantities, and is rather unclear to someone that doesn’t have the most knowledge.

Replacing with AKG bushings, so will not need the cover. From what I understand, I will need:

1x 33177840535 (large bolt for front bushing)
                        2x 23001222891 (torx looking bolts for cover)

And that should be it? 3 bolts total?
                        Realoem does show quantities required.
                        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

Realoem does show quantities required.
                          Fantastic.

Comment

True. But on the next disassembly, one must scrape off old RTV and surface prep accordingly. In my industry, RTV is used, and it's due to cost--cheaper than gasket. But in the field, is it really better...
                            Isn't another liability of RTV that it's more prone to misapplication, which could mean some would get into the moving parts?
                            2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                            Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                            Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
                              Isn't another liability of RTV that it's more prone to misapplication, which could mean some would get into the moving parts?
                              I'm not sure how anyone can screw up application on the diff cover though, particularly if using the Loctite 5970 Liquid Sealant . If they do then 100% their man card is revoked for all eternity.
                              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Hi guys, just a dummy check question. Do we have any issues with running Zimmerman "OE" rotors vs actual BMW OEM rotors? The coating is slightly different looking, and they don't say "BMW" on them. Otherwise I believe they are identical. Just LMK if I'm missing something.
                                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Working...
                                X