This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ugaexploder View Post
    Has anyone had their throttle body actuator fail on them?
    Wondered about this as well, you hear about it often on E9x M3's/E6x M5/6's.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Wondered about this as well, you hear about it often on E9x M3's/E6x M5/6's.
      Glad they seem to be fairly reliable as I haven't found many threads on people having issues online. It's pretty scary as I noticed it's pretty expensive through FCP, but a little bit cheaper through Schmiedmann.
      /// 2004 SG/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Glad they seem to be fairly reliable as I haven't found many threads on people having issues online. It's pretty scary as I noticed it's pretty expensive through FCP, but a little bit cheaper through Schmiedmann.
        My guess is the S65/85 are more prone to failure due to their location inside the V of the engine where things can get pretty hot. Either that or the internal components are different from the S54 throttle actuator. For the S54, I would not hesitate to replace with a used, good working unit since they are pretty reliable and easy to access.

Comment

That makes sense...main reason I was thinking about some of these components under plenum is I'm mapping out what items I should replace when doing the Karb box. Mainly because I don't want to remove and install the plenum a bunch of times.

How resilient is the Karb plenum? Mainly connection points and the little cable holder near the firewall?

Part of me wants to replace everything under the plenum so I don't have to remove it frequently and possibly break things when doing so. Is this an irrational thought process?

Comment

That makes sense...main reason I was thinking about some of these components under plenum is I'm mapping out what items I should replace when doing the Karb box. Mainly because I don't want to remove and install the plenum a bunch of times.

How resilient is the Karb plenum? Mainly connection points and the little cable holder near the firewall?

Part of me wants to replace everything under the plenum so I don't have to remove it frequently and possibly break things when doing so. Is this an irrational thought process?
            It's a solid piece and there is no issue removing it multiple times. The beauty of servicing the S54 is the full intake system is easy to remove compared to other BMWs. I wouldn't replace a thing under it. Maybe you can swap the TPS if the one near the oil filter is newer than the one on the throttle actuator.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

It's a solid piece and there is no issue removing it multiple times. The beauty of servicing the S54 is the full intake system is easy to remove compared to other BMWs. I wouldn't replace a thing under it. Maybe you can swap the TPS if the one near the oil filter is newer than the one on the throttle actuator.
              Curious, but what did you go with for boots and clamps? I bought the turner silicon ones, then returned them and ordered the OE boots and clamps...

Comment

Curious, but what did you go with for boots and clamps? I bought the turner silicon ones, then returned them and ordered the OE boots and clamps...
                Found a good set of boots off a used SMG intake lol. Even was able to reuse the one time use clamps on the intake side since they can be bent back with a little heat and pliers. The Norma worm clamps are also an option if you don't want to use the original clamps and buy the ear clamp tool. For the worm clamps, you have to tighten them snug to the point where the boot still can rotate a small amount, just don't go crazy tight.

Comment

Intermittent crank. Airbag light on. Windows aren't fully closing when door closes. White noise from speakers with power on engine off.

Battery died and airbag light appeared around the same time, replaced battery. Car was fine this morning. Went back out and wouldn’t turn over.

There was an ews immobilizer fault, but it cleared.

Help would be much appreciated. Definitely seems electrical in nature.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9003.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	271083

Comment

Originally posted by fourmula1 View Post
                    Intermittent crank. Airbag light on. Windows aren't fully closing when door closes. White noise from speakers with power on engine off.

Battery died and airbag light appeared around the same time, replaced battery. Car was fine this morning. Went back out and wouldn’t turn over.

Also DME 50 switch chain frictional connection

Comment

smg to 6spd conversion?

Comment

Also DME 50 switch chain frictional connection
                        Yes, so that might always be there? I do have a good brown clutch switch off my race car in it.

I'm able to fire it up now when stomping on the clutch pedal and hitting the clutch stop. I pulled the stop and slowly went past where the stop would have been and it fired up. I'm thinking it was just barely seeing it and maybe the heat exacerbated it.

Still trying to figure out the airbag light and codes.

Comment

Yeah, I think the DME 50 switch chain frictional connection is smg-to-6spd based possibly...

The airbag codes, I believe it may be a bad srs module. Not sure if these fail NC which may be causing a draw while the car is off? Totally a guess here.

Comment

Tried to bleed the brakes with a Motive pressure bleeder. Under pressure, brake fluid started dripping to the ground. It looked like it was coming out of the vacuum port on the booster. What would cause this? Bad master cylinder seal? Too much pressure? I usually go to 15psi but I wasn't paying attention and went to 20psi. Ended up vacuum bleeding the brakes and there are no leaks under normal use.
                            2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Anthracite Impuse - SOLD

2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Black Nappa Leather
                            Karbonius | Supersprint | Cat Cams | Beisan | Fikse Wheels | Mile End Composites | AST 5200 | Hotchkis | Brembo | Recaro | Rouge SMF | RTD | Yellow Tag Rack | HTE Performance

Comment

Originally posted by DJAM3 View Post
                              Tried to bleed the brakes with a Motive pressure bleeder. Under pressure, brake fluid started dripping to the ground. It looked like it was coming out of the vacuum port on the booster. What would cause this? Bad master cylinder seal? Too much pressure? I usually go to 15psi but I wasn't paying attention and went to 20psi. Ended up vacuum bleeding the brakes and there are no leaks under normal use.
                              Too much pressure and you blew through the seals. Just use lower pressure next time and you will be okay.
                              2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

Too much pressure and you blew through the seals. Just use lower pressure next time and you will be okay.
                                I have the same bleeder and usually use 12.5psi. Sometimes close to 15, never exceeding 15. Never have any issues and it is on a race car.

Comment

Working...
                                X