Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Karter16's Silbergrau E46 M3 Journal

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by karter16 View Post
    Something else I forgot to mention is how delightful the SMG is now, particularly in terms of downshifts and rev matching. From all the different things I've done I think the proportion of improvement in this regard is approximately as follows:

    SMG relearning/adaptions: 20%
    New rear diff bushes + RACP reinforcement: 30% (I did these two things together so can't rate them separately)
    Nailing filling (RF) in the tune so that the engine is responding as the SMG model expects: 50%

    Me from a few years ago would never have dared doing something like coming to a stop with foot completely off accelerator downshifting from 2nd to 1st. Now I do it pretty much without even thinking - it's smooth, accurate and reliable. Good fun.
    Just curious

    Are you modifying the SMG code based on the CSL 255 tune?

    2004 M3 Silbergrau (Silver Grey) ◙ Convertible ◙ SMG ◙ Karbonius CSL Airbox ◙ Mullet Tune ◙ Front 996 Brembos ◙ Status Gruppe V2 Headers ◙ CPI RTX Sec 1 ◙ Kenwood DMX958XR

    Comment


      Originally posted by Ramage View Post

      Just curious

      Are you modifying the SMG code based on the CSL 255 tune?
      Haven't made any changes to the SMG code (other than flashing the "255" tune to match the CSL DME). I don't think there's anything wrong with the SMG code so to speak, more just about giving it the predictable engine response it's expecting.
      2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats/CSL airbox/CSL console/6 point RACP brace/Apex ARC-8s
      Build Thread | Community Patch | MSS54 DS2 Tool

      Comment


        Originally posted by karter16 View Post

        Haven't made any changes to the SMG code (other than flashing the "255" tune to match the CSL DME). I don't think there's anything wrong with the SMG code so to speak, more just about giving it the predictable engine response it's expecting.
        Thanks, that makes perfect sense to me. I had misunderstood "Nailing filling (RF) in the tune so that the engine is responding as the SMG model expects: 50%​" was changes to the SMG code itself.

        While I have seemingly been in the minority in loving the SMG, I am very happy with the Mullet Tune along with the CSL "255" SMG code.

        With this combo I would never consider a manual swap, and when I finally pull the trigger on a coupe I am happy to know that having SMG is mostly seen as a bad thing in terms of resale desirability!

        2004 M3 Silbergrau (Silver Grey) ◙ Convertible ◙ SMG ◙ Karbonius CSL Airbox ◙ Mullet Tune ◙ Front 996 Brembos ◙ Status Gruppe V2 Headers ◙ CPI RTX Sec 1 ◙ Kenwood DMX958XR

        Comment

        Working...
        X