Turner Motorsport CSL Airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

They told me the lead time on the re-designed boxes was going to be 3+ months. I opted to keep my damaged box until they have the re-designed ones in stock in a few months at which point I'll exchange it.
    I would have kept mine as well had I known I wouldn’t be getting another one for some time. I was told they had matte in stock which is why I sent it back vs fixing it myself. I guess we will see what they say tomorrow.

Comment

Even though the wait sucks, I'm glad they're doing something about this. Also saw this today: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pts...147387540.html. Did anyone here post that? lol
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
        Even though the wait sucks, I'm glad they're doing something about this. Also saw this today: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pts...147387540.html. Did anyone here post that? lol
        OEM style hose clamps?? What...
        2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
        Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
        Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
        RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
        Instagram

Comment

Spoke with Turner and they are sayin at least 5 months for the redesign. They feel that the bent bracket modification works with the existing box but still want to tweak the design to eliminate any clearance issues. They are checking if they have any matte boxes in the warehouse and if they do I can either take a current design or wait for the redesign.

I may wait for the redesign and just keep my eventuri for now lol.

Comment

So does anyone know what other "supporting mods" Andrew at Buildjournal runs? I'm trying to wrap my head around his dyno results showing a 19% WHP delta from stock (340 WHP up from 286) with what *appears* to be little more than catless headers, the TMS airbox, and an umodified/untuned CSL binary. Running on 91! He confirms in the comments section at the bottom that he's just running a stock CSL tune, unmodified. But that's a pretty huge WHP number. This is, roughly, what Hassan was able to get out of a megan header + TMS airbox setup with his custom dyno tune, so... idgi??? If what he's running really is just euro headers, TMS airbox, and stock CSL tune, then my car should be making about the same power because that's my exact setup, but there's no way.

I'm suspecting that Andrew has more mods that aren't clearly disclosed in his writeup, but, even still, what would be letting him make that much power on california pump fuel and a stock CSL tune, other than cams?? To be clear I'm not accusing Andrew of anything, he just didn't list all of his mods in this writeup so I'm just trying to figure out what it is about his setup that got him this kind of delta. Would be ecstatic for my car to be making this kind of power before I even bring it to Hassan!

(Buildjournal writeup here: https://thebuildjournal.com/reviews/...-dyno-results/ )

Also, he only seems to gain 3 WHP on an E35 blend (I believe he runs the APE kit? at least that's what he sells on his site). That's a pretty tiny difference. Naively I would have expected more from ethanol, is E35 just not enough ethanol to make a dfference?
            Last edited by ATB88; 07-06-2020, 07:58 AM.

Comment

The bimmerworld race exhaust has something to do with it

Comment

i'm in my search for a few extra hp to my setup with a new tune. the previous owner had installed a karbonius intake, SS headers, euro section 1, and a dinan exhaust. with this setup i could only get up to ~300 whp, which was a bit disappointing.

i've finally set up the DME with the csl firmware, so i'm hoping that'll give more options for a better tune than what was originally on the car.
                2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

So does anyone know what other "supporting mods" Andrew at Buildjournal runs? I'm trying to wrap my head around his dyno results showing a 19% WHP delta from stock (340 WHP up from 286) with what *appears* to be little more than catless headers, the TMS airbox, and an umodified/untuned CSL binary. Running on 91! He confirms in the comments section at the bottom that he's just running a stock CSL tune, unmodified. But that's a pretty huge WHP number. This is, roughly, what Hassan was able to get out of a megan header + TMS airbox setup with his custom dyno tune, so... idgi??? If what he's running really is just euro headers, TMS airbox, and stock CSL tune, then my car should be making about the same power because that's my exact setup, but there's no way.

I'm suspecting that Andrew has more mods that aren't clearly disclosed in his writeup, but, even still, what would be letting him make that much power on california pump fuel and a stock CSL tune, other than cams?? To be clear I'm not accusing Andrew of anything, he just didn't list all of his mods in this writeup so I'm just trying to figure out what it is about his setup that got him this kind of delta. Would be ecstatic for my car to be making this kind of power before I even bring it to Hassan!

(Buildjournal writeup here: https://thebuildjournal.com/reviews/...-dyno-results/ )

Also, he only seems to gain 3 WHP on an E35 blend (I believe he runs the APE kit? at least that's what he sells on his site). That's a pretty tiny difference. Naively I would have expected more from ethanol, is E35 just not enough ethanol to make a dfference?
                  Yeah a less restrictive exhaust & sec 1 makes a big difference (reason I’m getting rid of my euro sec 1). I made 5whp extra on E30 AFD Kit (Car was already heat soaked) Max I would run is E50 and I feel you could gain 10whp. E85 on our cars won’t make a big difference especially on stock injectors.
                  (I made 328whp on 91 with HTE but did have the Euro sec 1)
                  06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

HP numbers can be made to be "fudged" slightly.. tire pressure, strap tightness on tie downs, and the Dyno itself. Was it on a DynaPack5000? i find those to read lower but more accurate. Mustang Dyno? or DynoJet.. i find these have the biggest numbers but less accurate. Also what comes into play is the barometric pressure, humidity and temp. If tested on a low day, your numbers will be lower. I used to work in a Dyno shop that used a 4 wheel HUB DynaPack500 system, people would come in all the time claiming high HP numbers from a DynoJet... get on our Dyno and be humbled. we used to have a lot of guys want to test or tune early in the AM, on a cooler day, but have the barometer 30+ hopefully.

Comment

Anyone running a TMS box: how are the little locating pins that secure the bottom of the unfiltered section to the bottom of your box doing? Both of mine have broken clean off after just a couple of removal/replacements of the unfiltered section. This allows the bottom of the unfiltered section to swing away from the bottom of the box, which is obviously bad. Turner's replacing my box due to the cabin filter clearance issue, but I'm now concerned that this will happen on my replacement box too..

Anyone experiencing a similar issue? Maybe worth checking, if you have one. If this is a design issue and isn't isolated to my box, Turner should really address it with their next re-design.

Comment

They got back to me saying that they're aware of the issue with the locating pins and it should be addressed in the re-designed boxes. They said that if they had to guess, the re-designed boxes are still at least 2 months out, but they stressed that they can't promise it won't take longer.

Considering that it's still completely functional, sounds awesome, and will be replaced with a new one free of charge, I'm quite happy with mine. But anyone considering buying this airbox, I'd say definitely wait until the re-designed boxes come out in a couple months. I think it'll be a great product once the small issues are sorted out.
                        Last edited by ATB88; 08-15-2020, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Not surprised by the issues being that this is a first gen product, but pleasantly surprised at the way Turner has handled this. Now we just need someone to get on a dyno and do some runs swapping out Turner, Karbonius, and Evolve boxes to see if there's any difference between them.
                          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

They got back to me saying that they're aware of the issue with the locating pins and it should be addressed in the re-designed boxes. They said that if they had to guess, the re-designed boxes are still at least 2 months out, but they stressed that they can't promise it won't take longer.

Considering that it's still completely functional, sounds awesome, and will be replaced with a new one free of charge, I'm quite happy with mine. But anyone considering buying this airbox, I'd say definitely wait until the re-designed boxes come out in a couple months. I think it'll be a great product once the small issues are sorted out.
                            I'm having a similar issue with my box after installing yesterday, except my pins are so short they don't allow the bellmouth end to ever seat fully. I will contact turner and see what they say.

I'm also having clearance issues on the fender; can anyone tell me what the metal cylinders are in this photo that sit directly under the airbox? I'm considering relocating them to gain some clearance.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by T-Rex; 08-17-2020, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Finished the setup this past weekend. Wasn't easy for a novice wrencher like me. Had a lot of help from my local E46 M3 Gruppe in Toronto, especially with wiring.

Toughest part was all the small adjustments to make sure it fit well and not scratching anything. The hoses are super hard to get on. The plastic is very stiff on the connectors and it was worried using too much force would break the epoxy. Patience and using oil to soften the rubber washers helped a lot.

Forgot about the turner fix to lower the box so that it doesn't touch the strut bar or rub ever so slightly on the hood lining. I used washers for the strut bar to add a few more millimetres which is now more acceptable of a clearance.

Canned tune from HassanEido at HTE PERFORMANCE with CSL map and some tweaks. My car had an awful tune before which was slower than stock. It's night and day now, pulls all the way to redline, I've banged off the rev limiter which never happened before. I'll be at the Dyno this week for final tuning and tweaks. Long road to get here but getting this mod done was a bucket list thing. The car was always fun, now it's a whole new thing, easily the best mod for this car bar none IMO.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by CrisSilberGrau; 09-08-2020, 08:34 AM.
                              2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Great job Cris!
                                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                                X