What did you do for your M3 today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
    Finally got around to hardwiring the car for a dashcam after putting it off for months.
    This seems so much easier: https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...power.1086875/

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
      Yup, that’s the wire I tapped into for my radar detector.

Comment

Doing cooling system fresh. Finally found the block drain bolt. Majority of the coolant was still sitting in the block (even after pressurizing the overflow tank to push it out. Made a huge mess.

What was odd is that the coolant in the overflow was black. But the coolant in the block seemed very clean.

Comment

I rebuilt all 4 calipers today, the dust boots were the tricky part but I figured out a cheat for both front and rear. The fronts you just have to install the piston all the way into the caliper then slowly push the dust boot into place starting at 3 o'clock. This will give you a starting point that will keep the dust boot held into position when you get to 6 o'clock (the hard side with limited access) .
          For the rears I actually installed the dust boot onto the piston (not recommended) and then slid the dust boot all the way down the piston until it was hanging off the back of the piston. At which point I could work it into the groove of the caliper and then install the piston into the caliper. Worked like a champ! I only figured out these methods after struggling for some time. Ate plastilube is also you friend for all surfaces BUT the dust boot where it seals to the caliper. Last time I fought this on my ZHP I just bought four new calipers but with M3 caliper prices I didn't wanna do that. Car rolls freely now
          Last edited by Wernd; 05-08-2022, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Installed CSL front sway bar and changed front springs to 350lb on my Ohlins kit, swapped all my wheel studs to 78mm length ones from 90. Hoping my 18mm spacers for my street wheels fit on these still. Also threw on track pads and my new TA16s.

Too lazy to screw around with the rear end so I’m going to pay a shop to put in my BW monoball ARCAs at the same time I get it aligned and corner balanced

Oh and how could I forget, new hood struts! TIL that it’s supposed to pop right open from one foot up rather than constantly slam on my head in a light breeze
            Last edited by repoman89; 05-03-2022, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
              Installed CSL front sway bar and changed front springs to 350lb on my Ohlins kit
              That was exactly my plan to do with mine. Although I think 325lb got me a bit further into flat ride with decent FRC.

What are your thoughts on the change in spring rate?

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post

That was exactly my plan to do with mine. Although I think 325lb got me a bit further into flat ride with decent FRC.

What are your thoughts on the change in spring rate?
                Yeah I put 325 lb on the passenger side and 350 on the left but that gets complicated to write out. The calculator suggested it would work well with the slightly heavier left side due to driver. Really those are the springs that the eBay seller I bought from had in stock (they are Vogtland 7.5" length and couldn't find them anywhere else). More commonly available 7" springs would probably work, but it's getting into potential travel issues and spring bind territory given the amount of preload needed for proper ride height.

I've only driven it around gingerly and pretty slowly, waiting for the thread locker on the new studs to cure before screwing around. But my initial thought is that it's a good bit more civil over the horrible roads around me. Not really apples to apples since my wheels and tires changed too though. I'll know more after two track days in two weeks and also once I swap my street wheels back on.

I didn't use any spring pads on the mounts and there's no clunking or NVH or anything. Stock Ohlins spring had the stock BMW rubber perch.
                Last edited by repoman89; 05-03-2022, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
                  Installed CSL front sway bar and changed front springs to 350lb on my Ohlins kit, swapped all my wheel studs to 78mm length ones from 90. Hoping my 18mm spacers for my street wheels fit on these still. Also threw on track pads and my new TA16s.

Too lazy to screw around with the rear end so I’m going to pay a shop to put in my BW monoball ARCAs at the same time I get it aligned and corner balanced

Oh and how could I forget, new hood struts! TIL that it’s supposed to pop right open from one foot up rather than constantly slam on my head in a light breeze
                  Learned about hood struts the hard way. Hood slammed down with my hand on the fender. Had to yell for help so someone could release the latch.

Luckily no broken bones.

That night I ordered the hood strut locks.

Comment

Put the horn relay back in so I can honk at all the idiot drivers who apparently can’t see me. PO took it out at some point, so I took the opportunity to clean up some wiring that was keeping the fuse box from opening properly as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

First time using a vacuum coolant fill tool. Pretty neat! We will see how well it worked during test drive.

Comment

Two fold today. Finally got around to doing a center arm rest delete. I’m a fairly large and broad guy, so it always kinda made me feel a tad claustrophobic. Totally worth the money spent. Imo makes the interior a lot more comfortable and clean looking.

Second one I’m sure will catch some uproar from the purists. 6 months ago I was looking at moving over to the csl trunk. Although I just really wanted something different. CSL trunk looks great don’t get me wrong, may still end up with one some day. Everyone does it though. I stumbled upon a deal for a Kerscher rear wing and decided to pull the trigger.
                        I finally got the mounts painted and installed it on the car. I was extremely nervous going into this as I knew it could very well approach ricer territory.
                        I think I am very pleased with the look, the wing flows well with the body narrowing to the top and gives a nice subtle touch. We’ll see if I feel the same in the daylight. I do still wish I got the kersher name filled on the mounts

Comment

Darbshaw can you post some more pictures of it? Like a full side shot of the car, looks great btw

Comment

Originally posted by lvm3sm46 View Post
                            Darbshaw can you post some more pictures of it? Like a full side shot of the car, looks great btw
                            Thanks! Sure thing, I’ll try and grab some when I’m home in a few hours!

Comment

[mention]lvm3sm46 [/mention] I couldn’t get out with the car until the sun went down so you have to suffice with some more gas station pics. I hope this helps with an angle you were wanting! I don’t wanna spam the thread with pics so if you want any more specific just pm me!

Comment

eacmen was the collapsed hose from the vacuum coolant tool or the issue that lead to needing said tool?
                                "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                                ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Working...
                                X