What did you do for your M3 today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
    I have some Slon Workshop carbon goodness on the way. Slonik has sent some teasers... It's killing me! I'm beyond excited to get these parts!
    Very nice carbon pieces. Do you think that roof bow will bond securely at the ends with the small surface area?
    Last edited by Epsilon; 12-07-2021, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post

Very nice carbon pieces. Do you think that roof bow will bond securely at the ends with the small surface area?
      Wondering about that as well! I have the OEM piece in a closet waiting for a roof .. it's not that heavy, maybe 2-3 pounds? But if the carbon piece can be secured properly, it probably weighs ounces and no need for welding.

Comment

I have some Slon Workshop carbon goodness on the way. Slonik has sent some teasers... It's killing me! I'm beyond excited to get these parts!
        Very excited to see how that roof bow turns out. I was already considering panel bonding the metal roof bow so that I didn't have to get a welder to come out, so that carbon bow is perfect.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Slonik do you make CSL style front bumpers and diffusers ?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4150DE84-B951-4616-948B-39D93BB89D25.png
Views:	451
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	140901
            Ordered this as a spare from Status Gruppe. It came within a week. If I actually needed it right away it would’ve taken 5 months lol

Comment

Nice! How's it sound?
              Perfect for me. Loud enough to hear it but most importantly, airflow is improved quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                ^looking forward to this
                Yup, this is going to be dope...

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                  ^looking forward to this
                  Me too dogg, me too.

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
                  I guess I'll find out! Ha!

I went back and forth with them for a bit with questions. As I've said elsewhere, he was extremely patient with my questions. After he mentioned they had a carbon bow, I was immediately curious and went on with some questions about bonding carbon.

Brief synopsis: Their primary carbon expert at Slon Workshop actually prefers bonding/gluing to welding, even on metal-to-metal connections. After hearing that, I went on with a bit of Googling - I think I too might prefer it now. There is less chance of warping or other issues related to heat, less chance of rust on the other side of the panel you are welding to (the interior portion you can't see or get to with a protective coating), if you're careful with surface prep you don't have to paint afterwards (the glue will prevent corrosion) and it just seems easier to me. So my plan is clearly to rivet and glue it, but I'll likely have a few questions for them to make sure I'm not screwing anything up. I'll detail the whole thing and share the good, bad and ugly of the install process. I'm hoping for no ugly!! 😁

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
                  Wondering about that as well! I have the OEM piece in a closet waiting for a roof .. it's not that heavy, maybe 2-3 pounds? But if the carbon piece can be secured properly, it probably weighs ounces and no need for welding.
                  I asked Slonik that question too. If his numbers are right, the stock steel bow is 1.7kg and their carbon bow is 450g. Or in measurements I understand better, that's 3.75lbs for steel, and 0.99lbs for carbon. Call it about a 1/4 the weight. That's weight way up high so...

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                  Very excited to see how that roof bow turns out. I was already considering panel bonding the metal roof bow so that I didn't have to get a welder to come out, so that carbon bow is perfect.
                  Thanks man, me too! I'm in the same boat as you. If I were to do a metal bow, I'd glue it.

Originally posted by Mayan-Viking View Post
                  Yup, this is going to be dope...
                  Woot woot!! I can't wait to see your Haimus Racing air box in the flesh. That's gonna be dope.

Getting ready for the install. Here is the state of the car currently.

Name:	IMG_20211205_151022.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	140913
                  Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by LatinSkllz View Post
                    Perfect for me. Loud enough to hear it but most importantly, airflow is improved quite a bit.
                    Nice man. I've not heard one of them in person but have always been curious.

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
                      Slonik do you make CSL style front bumpers and diffusers ?
                      nope, sorry on that moment we have going on lightweighting/performance parts, not styling.
                      maybe after all wishes maybe, but its not in the nearest time. too much work still need to make.

Comment

Dropping a couple more pics of the Slon Workshop roof in here. Slonik sent me a few shots of the roof and bow before shipping them out, figured I'd share. I've gotten some inquiries about this so hoping it will help others too.

Both of these pieces are absolutely gorgeous. If they turn out to be 1/4 as nice as these photos, I'll be happier than a pig in shit.

They've cleared customs in Russia, awaiting shipment from EMS/Russian Post. I check the status a couple times a day, lol

I will get a build thread going but want to have the details of the respray nailed down. Once I'm 100% sure it's on track, I'll start documenting this CF roof install, car tear down, respray (still haven't settled on a color... but it's gonna be bright AF) and the rebuild.

On with the pics:

Name:	DSC_9313 50.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	141395 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9307 50.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	141396 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9305 50.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	141397

Comment

I will get a build thread going but want to have the details of the respray nailed down. Once I'm 100% sure it's on track, I'll start documenting this CF roof install, car tear down, respray (still haven't settled on a color... but it's gonna be bright AF) and the rebuild.
                          I think I've said this a couple times, but please do document the roof install. Looking forward to seeing how that goes, especially with the roof bow.

Also looking forward to the rest of your project. The color change sounds like it will come out awesome.
                          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

In the middle of replacing all the ball joints and bushings on rear control arms on the track car. Taking my time. Moving the diff out of the way was a PITA.

Got both lower ball joints replaced on the ground control adjustable LCA. Got upper control arm out and bushing pressed out.

Just now need to decide if we want to use an unsealed monoballs for the upper inner control arm….

No rush, car is down for winter.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

I think I've said this a couple times, but please do document the roof install. Looking forward to seeing how that goes, especially with the roof bow.

Also looking forward to the rest of your project. The color change sounds like it will come out awesome.
                              Will do, heinz. And appreciate that. I'm really looking forward to the final product. It's already been a lot of thinking, planning and now it's time to execute. It's fun work!

Comment

Will do, heinz. And appreciate that. I'm really looking forward to the final product. It's already been a lot of thinking, planning and now it's time to execute. It's fun work!
                                I told you to forget that you ordered it player
                                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Working...
                                X