Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kept the OEM studs with my SS headers.
    17 iO1 i3
    16 F22 M235i
    08 E93 M3
    04 E46 M3 Carbon Schwarz - SMG II - Discovery Automotive tuned - AFE Stage 2 - SS Stepped - SS Metallic Cats - Eisenmann X-pipe - SS Race - 4.10 - ACS CF lip - 6000K Heads & Fogs - Tein S

Comment

If you plan on reusing the stock studs, make sure they are fully threaded into the block before installing the new headers. They can come out slightly when removing the nuts.

There aren't too many one time use things. I think this is all there is:
      • Block to header gaskets
      • SAP gasket
      • Section 1 to section 2 gaskets
      • Header nuts
      • SAP nuts
      • Section 1 to section 2 nuts
      • Reinforcement plate bolts
      There's more stuff you can replace and upgrade while doing this job (e.g. coolant hose o rings from wolfn8tr), but as far as things that you have to replace, I think that's it.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I would stick with the original exhaust studs, just make sure they are tight like heinz said. If any of the studs come out which is very likely make SURE you clean the threads of the head well with compressed air as you will likely not ever find a 7mm thread chaser for whatever reason.

Take great care in re-installing the head studs, a mechanic told me a bit of anti-seize was important to use on the studs but others on here have argued not to do that. I personally would recommend a small amount to prevent galling.

The N54 studs are nice in that you can use a tool on them in order to make sure they are bottomed out but the extra length makes it such that you must postion the headers to mate w/ the studs further out from the head and with very little room between the head/inner fender area it proved to be quite challenging for me to install the SS headers compared to the Euro headers. Maybe some of that was factory vs. aftermarket fitment.

Always use OEM BMW gaskets on the headers.
        2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
        Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
        Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
        RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
        Instagram

Comment

Is there a way to have both doors unlock with one key press?

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleSidedTape View Post
            Is there a way to have both doors unlock with one key press?
            It has to be codeable. I’m 90% sure both of my doors unlock with the same press. I do not have any experience with coding this though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
              If you plan on reusing the stock studs, make sure they are fully threaded into the block before installing the new headers. They can come out slightly when removing the nuts.

There aren't too many one time use things. I think this is all there is:
              • Block to header gaskets
              • SAP gasket
              • Section 1 to section 2 gaskets
              • Header nuts
              • SAP nuts
              • Section 1 to section 2 nuts
              • Reinforcement plate bolts
              There's more stuff you can replace and upgrade while doing this job (e.g. coolant hose o rings from wolfn8tr), but as far as things that you have to replace, I think that's it.
              Thank you! All of those are on the list. What about the 3 rear muffler hanger bushings, and 2 S2 bushes--mine are original to the car.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

Thank you! All of those are on the list. What about the 3 rear muffler hanger bushings, and 2 S2 bushes--mine are original to the car.
                You can see all those bushings (mirror will help) without removing anything on the car, so might be worth taking a look at them to see if they need replacement.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Stainless steel clutch lines...... worthwhile or snake oil?
                  2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
                  ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post
                    Stainless steel clutch lines...... worthwhile or snake oil?
                    maybe for extra peace of mind to have it stainless in case of debris. I upgraded mine because it was old.
                    "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                    ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Can anyone school me on what is needed for an E85 setup? Does it need a special fuel pump or filter.. anything else? Also, if I fill with E85 and it doesn’t get used much, will it damage anything? The car I purchased has an APE setup and I’m trying to figure out what kind of maintenance it may require.

Comment

Originally posted by racee78 View Post
                        Can anyone school me on what is needed for an E85 setup? Does it need a special fuel pump or filter.. anything else? Also, if I fill with E85 and it doesn’t get used much, will it damage anything? The car I purchased has an APE setup and I’m trying to figure out what kind of maintenance it may require.

Typically E85 needs more volume vs. gasoline, so a larger fuel pump with more flow and bigger fuel injectors are needed.

E85 isn't great for sitting around as the alcohol tends to absorb water. I don't think a month or two will do too much but for longer term storage/sitting, it's probably better to do it with a full tank of gasoline or add fuel stabilizer
                        "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                        ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

[mention]zzyzx85 [/mention] thanks! I’ll have to look again the see if there’s any indication of larger injectors, and I suspect the replacement fuel pump that was put in a couple weeks before I bought it may not be adequate.

Comment

Originally posted by racee78 View Post

I am going to be needing a new fuel pump and I am planning on getting the radium engineering kit as a replacement for the OEM (SC plans in the future). I was gonna be going with the Walboro 255 but I saw the AEM pump for E85 is only an extra $25. http://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Pump-...6-M3-P314.aspx (http://www.radiumauto.com/Fu
                            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Looking for INPA S/W load for Windows 7 Pro machine - I've tried some others and can't get INPA to "see" my car... Cable drivers loaded OK, etc...
                              '01 M3, JB/IR, SS, TCK DA, Apex, TMS CSL, HTE, 4:10 gears - original owner
                              '00 slicktop Touring converting to full M3 Touring

Comment

Currently sitting with a dilemma. Have a 2002 AW/Cin manual car with 185k miles, of which 13k are my ownership. It’s an amazing and engaging car. Traveling a lot these days and only really have time to drive it once every 10 days with everything else. Not a perfect car either, could use some bodywork.

I also have a brand new Karb intake sitting in my basement. Debating on whether to 1) Sell the car 2) Sell the intake 3) Install the intake.

Option 3 is obviously pretty involved and likely adding another $1k in expenses (filter, install kit, DME upgrade, tune).

Comment

Working...
                                X