Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have high pressure headlight washers? It might be to that pump or the main windshield washer reservoir pump.
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Looks like it could be the high pressure pump. I don't have a pic of it square on to see the shape of the connector but found these pics from when I had mine torn apart.

In the 2nd pic, it's the black connector at the top of the pic with fairly heavy gauge wire, next to the grey connector.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20221211-155046.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.6 KB ID:	195813
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20221211-154719.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.6 KB ID:	195814
      Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 12-11-2022, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
        Looks like it could be the high pressure pump. I don't have a pic of it square on to see the shape of the connector but found these pics from when I had mine torn apart.

In the 2nd pic, it's the black connector at the top of the pic with fairly heavy gauge wire, next to the grey connector.

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20221211-155046.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.6 KB ID:	195813
        Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20221211-154719.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.6 KB ID:	195814
        Ooh, what are those label zip tie things? Seem super useful for wiring harness work
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Amgate Write on Tags Wire Zip Ties Cable Mark Tags Nylon Power Marking Label (500Pcs)

They are awesome, cheap, and you only need a bag of 100 instead of the 500 I got. I will probably never used them all...

I also used a label maker at first but 1) the labels didn't stick so well and 2) I got tired of typing up labels 3) it was slow. So I got a fine tipped sharpie and used that instead. I labeled nearly every wiring harness and branch. It made things infinitely easier on reassembly, especially when I had to split a harness and then walk away from it for several months. I literally couldn't have remembered where things went without these little things.

Comment

Amgate Write on Tags Wire Zip Ties Cable Mark Tags Nylon Power Marking Label (500Pcs)

They are awesome, cheap, and you only need a bag of 100 instead of the 500 I got. I will probably never used them all...

I also used a label maker at first but 1) the labels didn't stick so well and 2) I got tired of typing up labels 3) it was slow. So I got a fine tipped sharpie and used that instead. I labeled nearly every wiring harness and branch. It made things infinitely easier on reassembly, especially when I had to split a harness and then walk away from it for several months. I literally couldn't have remembered where things went without these little things.
            Awesome, thanks for the link! They do look super useful
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Thanks Casa. Very kind of you to dig up the photos.

The car has no headlamp washers, and I am fairly certain that the washer reservoir had only two connectors - the pump and the level sensor, but at this point I am going to take out the fender liner and check again. The connector in your photo does look like the one in question. Black connector with heavy gauge brown and brown with black wires.
              Last edited by D-O; 12-11-2022, 05:23 PM.
              Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Was doing some work in the engine bay and noticed this screw coming out of the left strut tower. There isn’t one like that on the right side.
                Is that normal? What is its purpose?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                2004 Mystic Blue M3 | 6-speed | Coupe
                Karbonius CSL-style airbox | OEM CSL snorkel & flap | Schrick 280 / 272 cams with followers | CSL inconel exhaust valves
                SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers, section-1 with sport cats, and resonated twin-pipe section-2
                ITG CSL Airbox Airfilter| Karbonius E46 microfilter cover
                Karbonius M3 E46 CSL trunklid | Ohlin's BMS MI30 coilovers

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
                  Thanks Casa. Very kind of you to dig up the photos.

The car has no headlamp washers, and I am fairly certain that the washer reservoir had only two connectors - the pump and the level sensor, but at this point I am going to take out the fender liner and check again. The connector in your photo does look like the one in question. Black connector with heavy gauge brown and brown with black wires.
                  You bet.

My bet is it has always been there (common wiring harness from the factory) and you're either just noticing it, or you disturbed it's hiding spot location and it's more obvious to you.

Are there witness marks on the inside of the connector or does it look like it has never been plugged in?

Also that high pressure headlight washer connector draws more amps (presumably - it is higher pressure than the normal windshield sprayer) hence the thicker wire.

Comment

You bet.

My bet is it has always been there (common wiring harness from the factory) and you're either just noticing it, or you disturbed it's hiding spot location and it's more obvious to you.

Are there witness marks on the inside of the connector or does it look like it has never been plugged in?

Also that high pressure headlight washer connector draws more amps (presumably - it is higher pressure than the normal windshield sprayer) hence the thicker wire.
                    I wont have a chance to pull the fender liner and have a look until this evening, but I do suspect that you are correct. If there is no available connection on the washer tank then I will look for witness marks on the connector.

D-O
                    Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by HanSooloo View Post
                      Was doing some work in the engine bay and noticed this screw coming out of the left strut tower. There isn’t one like that on the right side.
                      Is that normal? What is its purpose?

SMG reservoir on CSL
                      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Ahh .. thanks much. I guess they do it as a standard piece, and those cars that need, the piece is already there? Maybe for cost cutting reasons?

2004 Mystic Blue M3 | 6-speed | Coupe
                        Karbonius CSL-style airbox | OEM CSL snorkel & flap | Schrick 280 / 272 cams with followers | CSL inconel exhaust valves
                        SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers, section-1 with sport cats, and resonated twin-pipe section-2
                        ITG CSL Airbox Airfilter| Karbonius E46 microfilter cover
                        Karbonius M3 E46 CSL trunklid | Ohlin's BMS MI30 coilovers

Comment

Originally posted by HanSooloo View Post
                          Ahh .. thanks much. I guess they do it as a standard piece, and those cars that need, the piece is already there? Maybe for cost cutting reasons?

With so few CSLs made, and only for a short period of time (in the middle of the e46 production window), it is very strange, indeed, that all E46s (coupes or just ms?) have this stud - I think.
                          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Candidate for weight reduction - chop it/ grind off if not needed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

To be super pedantic, the CSL doesn't have that stud at all. Instead, it has a bracket for the reservoir spot welded to the strut tower: https://youtu.be/R3UjysWV3PA?t=839

Not entirely sure what the stud is for, but it's there on all E46s (I think and except for CSLs). Not used on the M3s

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
                                I am putting the front of the car back together and there is an electrical connector I cannot seem to find a home for. Anyone know where this thing plugs into?

Passenger side. Branches off the harness that attaches to the windshield washer tank. Just below headlamp.

TIA

D-O
                                Ambient air temperature sensor on the passenger side? Idk if RHD cars or non US stuff has the sensor there instead. My car had an extra passenger side connector when I had the bumper off.

The OEM fender liners have a cut out for the sensor on both sides iirc.
                                Last edited by discoelk; 12-12-2022, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X