What did you do for your M3 today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slavik1988 View Post
    Because a F8x M3 Lithium Ion battery was heavy at 30 lbs. I went ahead with a Braille Carbon Intensity 48 battery. At weight of only 11lbs and no trickle charging, this was a no brainer.
    Making sure I have this correct… is that a $1900 battery to save 20lbs and trickle charging being described as a no brainer?

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

Making sure I have this correct… is that a $1900 battery to save 20lbs and trickle charging being described as a no brainer?

maw
      Weight reduction equals fuel savings

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
        Weight reduction equals fuel savings
        🤣😂LOL right... notice I looked it up because I have this heavy ass vert top out back + stereo equipment so I'm all down for shaving 20lbs with a battery.😉

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

maw
          I think it is the $1100 22 Ah capacity one. The Antigravity equivalent (10 lb 24 Ah H6) is around $700. https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h6-rs/

I went with a used 30 Ah a few years ago. I killed it by draining it during winter storage and letting it sit discharged for months. They replaced it under warranty no questions asked for a new 40 Ah. Great company.

Comment

Not my car, a clients, but I figured this would be of interest to some... Installed every CSL suspension piece (New) into an IB, Slicktop ZCP M3.

'00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
            Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
            Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
              Not my car, a clients, but I figured this would be of interest to some... Installed every CSL suspension piece (New) into an IB, Slicktop ZCP M3.

Wow love it

Comment

Very cool. I love these layout photos.

How much lower does the car ride compared to a CSL considering the CSL springs are spec'd for a slightly lighter car?

Also, what are your impressions on the CSL rear control arms? and how do you think they compare to the adjustable options like Turner, GC, ECS?

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post

How much lower does the car ride compared to a CSL considering the CSL springs are spec'd for a slightly lighter car?

Also, what are your impressions on the CSL rear control arms? and how do you think they compare to the adjustable options like Turner, GC, ECS?
                  CSL arms are made of aluminum and have a sealed ball joint. Bimmerworld are one of, if not the only aluminum, adjustable lower control arms with a sealed ball joint. GC are made out of steel, IIRC. When it comes to ease of adjustability, CSL is the easiest, then GC and last BW; however, range of adjustability would go to BW and GC. Weight wise, I'd imagine CSL < BW < GC.
                  Last edited by Slideways; 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post

The springs need to settle in before we can get an accurate idea on ride height, but I would bet its pretty close to the COMP car in the real world.

The arms are awesome. For an OEM+ build like this they are a fantastic solution, but maybe not realistic for the masses considering their lack of availability.

I personally think if you are putting adjustable LCAs on your car they should also incorporate a mono ball instead of a bushing at the other end. And then with the access of the adjustment I think the only option is GC. I would imagine the GCs have way more adjustability than the CSL, but for most IDK if that is really necessary. TLDR, there are lots of variables lol.

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                    CSL arms are made of aluminum and have a sealed ball joint. Bimmerworld are one of, if not the only aluminum, adjustable lower control arms with a sealed ball joint. GC are made out of steel, IIRC. When it comes to ease of adjustability, CSL is the easiest, then GC and last BW; however, range of adjustability would go to BW and GC. Weight wise, I'd imagine CSL < BW < GC.
                    I should have weighted the CSL arms, fail! I pretty much agree with your assessment but the access to adjust the BW and the questionable ball joints that had been previously install means I wouldn't even consider them vs the GC.

****With all of that said if you don't run a sealed ball joint we run SPL arms.
                    '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

The springs need to settle in before we can get an accurate idea on ride height, but I would bet its pretty close to the COMP car in the real world.

The arms are awesome. For an OEM+ build like this they are a fantastic solution, but maybe not realistic for the masses considering their lack of availability.

I personally think if you are putting adjustable LCAs on your car they should also incorporate a mono ball instead of a bushing at the other end. And then with the access of the adjustment I think the only option is GC. I would imagine the GCs have way more adjustability than the CSL, but for most IDK if that is really necessary. TLDR, there are lots of variables lol.

I should have weighted the CSL arms, fail! I pretty much agree with your assessment but the access to adjust the BW and the questionable ball joints that had been previously install means I wouldn't even consider them vs the GC.

****With all of that said if you don't run a sealed ball joint we run SPL arms.
                      The BW arms use a Febi ball joint. Febi is part of Bilstein, so we'll see how long they last. They should be the same size as the Lemforder ball joints and my guess is they can be swapped out if needed.

RealOEM should have the weight of the CSL arms. Edit: 1.9lbs
                      Last edited by Slideways; 12-23-2023, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Paid for TIS for the day to get access to all the latest SIBs, Training/Technical manuals etc. There's some fascinating reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
                        Build Thread:
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Where can the CSL arms ve sourced from?

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
                            Where can the CSL arms ve sourced from?
                            Schmiedmann says they can get them in 20 days. Might be worth emailing them to check if that's actually true.
                            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Came up with a better way of addressing the broken clip issue when taking apart the rear view mirror.

If you break too many clips the trim doesn't fit back together snugly.

The advice from the likes of MirrorJohn etc is to glue the two pieces of the mirror housing together, but I wasn't keen on that in case I ever want to open it again.

This works beautifully, pin heat embedded into the plastic stubs of the clip, test fit and then araldite the pin in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
                              Build Thread:
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Removed the SMG gear position sensor after I had some really bad shifts on the last drive; the sensor stopped registering movement on one of the axes when testing things with INPA (can't remember which one). Replacement sensor is on the way.

Checked the springs and detents at the rear of the trans and they were all in good order. Replaced the two springs on the driver side anyway since I had them. This is annoying to do with the trans still in the car, but doable.

Still eyeing the manual swap within the next year, but with our X5 out of commission right now, I need the M to be a little more reliable in the short term. I don't expect to get my AS shifter till March.

Comment

Working...
                                X