Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During an engine rebuild due to rod bearing failure, can I just buy one used rod and send it or do I have to then take all the pistons and crank for balancing?

Comment

Originally posted by sbay View Post
      During an engine rebuild due to rod bearing failure, can I just buy one used rod and send it or do I have to then take all the pistons and crank for balancing?
      Balance the one used rod and piston with the five original ones.

Comment

Attempted to replace my trunk lock actuator today. Factory BMW part, and the bracket holes aren't threaded; TIS says use self tapping screws. Looking at how this part fits, I get the self tapping screw requirement. I'm thinking that the 3x T30 M6x12 bolts originally holding the actuator in can be re-used (those aren't self tapping) once I run self tappers through the bracket with the actuator in place? Sometimes I wonder how they built this car. The actuator has no physical datum to the trunk that I can see. Seems I would just set it in place, aligned it as best I can using the oversized holes in the trunk and just slam home the self tapping screws? I'm not dumb, I swear...

Original bolts: 07146985055

EDIT: Me thinks I should have ordered brand new screws as the original is in fact a thread cutting screw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	252
Size:	544.7 KB
ID:	259636
        Attached Files
        Last edited by PSUEng; 03-31-2024, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Suspect I know what the answer is going to be but thought I'd ask just in case anyone knows.

I'm planning on installing a 6 point topside brace (front and rear subframe/RACP points plus the RSMs). Part of this is installing through bolts from the bottom side of the subframe right through to the brace. The rear two subframe mounts are easy as they are bolts. The front two however are studs with the hex spacer in the middle of them.

Ideally I'd get these out without having to drop the subframe entirely.

Does anyone know if it's possible to loosen off the subframe bolts in the rear and nuts on the front studs enough to get a spanner in, loosen the studs and cut them either side of the hex spacer.

As I said I suspect the answer is no, but thought I'd check to see if anyone's done anything like this or knows if it's possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
          Build Thread:
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Originally posted by karter16 View Post
            Suspect I know what the answer is going to be but thought I'd ask just in case anyone knows.

I'm planning on installing a 6 point topside brace (front and rear subframe/RACP points plus the RSMs). Part of this is installing through bolts from the bottom side of the subframe right through to the brace. The rear two subframe mounts are easy as they are bolts. The front two however are studs with the hex spacer in the middle of them.

Ideally I'd get these out without having to drop the subframe entirely.

Does anyone know if it's possible to loosen off the subframe bolts in the rear and nuts on the front studs enough to get a spanner in, loosen the studs and cut them either side of the hex spacer.

As I said I suspect the answer is no, but thought I'd check to see if anyone's done anything like this or knows if it's possible.

You’d need to drop the subframe about 6” to get the clearance to get those hex studs out. I went through the same thing and basically decided to drop the subframe entirely to get the most room to work with. Id recommend it, it’s not difficult to drop the subframe so worth it imo.

Comment

Originally posted by dl.m3 View Post

You'd need to drop the subframe about 6” to get the clearance to get those hex studs out. I went through the same thing and basically decided to drop the subframe entirely to get the most room to work with. Id recommend it, it's not difficult to drop the subframe so worth it imo.
              To get the hex studs out in one piece yes, you'd need to completely drop the subframe, I'm talking about dropping it just enough to get a hack saw blade in to cut the stud either side of the hex and slide the pieces out

2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
              Build Thread:
              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

I’m not gettin older! Just dumber. How do you post a pic so it doesn’t show sideways? I’ve done it a few times but cannot remember how.

Comment

Originally posted by Calb View Post
                  I’m not gettin older! Just dumber. How do you post a pic so it doesn’t show sideways? I’ve done it a few times but cannot remember how.
                  My method is to modify the pic on my phone first. Either rotate it or crop it a tiny bit. Then save, and it'll present correctly.
                  DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                  /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                  More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Anyone able to identify brand on this ? I’m not seeing any stampings on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1483.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	260486 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	260488 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1486.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	260487 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1487.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	260489 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1488.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	260490
                    2006 M3 ZCP

Comment

Originally posted by SUPREM3/// View Post
                      Anyone able to identify brand on this ? I’m not seeing any stampings on it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1483.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.8 KB ID:	260486 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1485.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.3 KB ID:	260488 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1486.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.6 KB ID:	260487 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1487.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.4 KB ID:	260489 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1488.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.0 KB ID:	260490
                      Looks to be custom. Couldn't even match it to anything on the definitive exhaust guide, listed below. Definitely a copy or an attempt to be similar to the other popular ones.

Comment

recommended set of feeler gauges? I suspect the set I got off amazon (Ares offset-style) are out of spec.
                        "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                        ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post

Looks to be custom. Couldn't even match it to anything on the definitive exhaust guide, listed below. Definitely a copy or an attempt to be similar to the other popular ones.

https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...guide.1068516/
                          I couldn't find a good match either and got to the same conclusion. I hate not knowing lol. At least it sounds good though, so I'll get over it.
                          2006 M3 ZCP

Comment

Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post
                            recommended set of feeler gauges? I suspect the set I got off amazon (Ares offset-style) are out of spec.

If they are for a valve adjustment I’d go with the BMW set.

Comment

Dumb question - I removed my DMG strut bar back in February. Well the car has been sitting since and I totally forgot I had it removed, Anyway, I moved the car out of the garage as I had to make room for something and now my camber/alignment is all messed up, Such a dumb move on my part. The wheels have such super negative camber in the front now. I just had WileMotorSport align this not too long ago too.

I'm waiting on a replacement strut bar to come in and when it does I'm going to try and tackle this issue. Any advice tips on how to align this as best as possible before taking it in for another alignment? I was thinking jack the car up, adjust the camber with a level and then tighten the strut bar to hold in place. I'm running TMS Street plates, GC front sway bar and endlinks with Ohlins R&T coils if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.
                              2003.5 BMW M3 Carbon Schwarz Metallic/Cinnamon 6 Speed – HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | AA Headers | AA Section 1 | SS Resonated Section 2 | SS Race Section 3 | TMS V2 CSL Airbox | TMS Street Plates | Ohlin’s R&T Coilovers | Ground Control Front and Rear Sways | Ground Control Adjustable Camber Arms | DMG Autosport Pro46R | FreakyParts BBK Front | Porsche 996 Conversion Rear | CMP Stage 1 + 1.5 Reinforcement Plates | CMP Subframe Bushings | CMP RTAB’s | SGT CSL Bumper | SGT CSL Trunk | Dr VANOS

Comment

Originally posted by Acarv_426 View Post
                                Dumb question - I removed my DMG strut bar back in February. Well the car has been sitting since and I totally forgot I had it removed, Anyway, I moved the car out of the garage as I had to make room for something and now my camber/alignment is all messed up, Such a dumb move on my part. The wheels have such super negative camber in the front now. I just had WileMotorSport align this not too long ago too.

I'm waiting on a replacement strut bar to come in and when it does I'm going to try and tackle this issue. Any advice tips on how to align this as best as possible before taking it in for another alignment? I was thinking jack the car up, adjust the camber with a level and then tighten the strut bar to hold in place. I'm running TMS Street plates, GC front sway bar and endlinks with Ohlins R&T coils if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.
                                If the car is on a level surface, you can use a straight edge against the face of the wheel and your phone with the Bubble Level app to get a camber measurement. Then set it back roughly where it was using the previous alignment sheet.

Comment

Working...
                                X